Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What to expect to go over/happen in my Fire 1 Class

Default What to expect to go over/happen in my Fire 1 Class

I'll be taking a Fire 1 class here in the first week of September, I'm trying to look up on the internet what I can expect to study/learn in my class but I just can't seem to find out any information. I've asked the department of where the classes will be held and no one seems to want to give me any answers. Must be a Fire Service thing???? you would think that everyone would be trying to help me out and answer everything as best as they can. Or do you just get treated like crap as a probie??? anyway can anyone give me any information as to what will take place in this class. I'm looking to get a jump start on this thing and start reading things early and studying early (watch videos, take notes) etc. My goal is to graduate as number one in my class.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kwoo222 View Post
    I'll be taking a Fire 1 class here in the first week of September, I'm trying to look up on the internet what I can expect to study/learn in my class but I just can't seem to find out any information. I've asked the department of where the classes will be held and no one seems to want to give me any answers. Must be a Fire Service thing???? you would think that everyone would be trying to help me out and answer everything as best as they can. Or do you just get treated like crap as a probie??? anyway can anyone give me any information as to what will take place in this class. I'm looking to get a jump start on this thing and start reading things early and studying early (watch videos, take notes) etc. My goal is to graduate as number one in my class.
    See if they have a syllabus (class schedule) or what manuals they are going to use. Are they providing the books or do you have to buy them? If you can get a book or manual ahead of time, you can read up before the class. And try to ask the instructor, not just whoever's at the station at the time.

Hey, Kwoo! I recently graduated from Fire1 this June. I think I can provide some insight for you.

In my academy, we had an orientation. I am almost positive that every good working academy has an orientation. This is usually a few days before the first day of schooling. Mine was 2 days prior. Once there, the head coordinators will be there to introduce themselves and talk about the service and what is expected of you, sign paper work, and among the paperwork should be an itinerary of whats going on. I recieved 2 kinds. 1: an hour-to-hour breakdown of events for each weekend (or whatever type of days your school runs) and 2: the basic guide to know whats going on. I do not remember off hand, the paperwork is still in my binder but in my car. But the materials will be the fundamentals of the:

ICS
    Alarms/Communications
    Building Construction
    Expect some physical fitness
    FF Safety
    FF Tools
    Ropes and Knots (they will be provided)
    Search and Rescue
    Ladders
    Hoses/Nozzles/Appliances/Water Supply
    Forcible Entry
    Mandatory stuff like disability awareness (NJ standard, maybe an NFPA standard)
    Hazmat Awareness, maybe Operations, including CBRNE
    Salvage and Overhaul
    Thermal Imaging
    Responding and Sizing Up a scene
    FF Survival
    Ventilation
    Fire Suppression
    Vehicle Fires
    LP Gas Burns
    Structure Fires

That about sums up what is to be expected. After each day, you carry on the skills you learned prior. Like there should be different levels of Ladder days, levels of Search and Rescue days. It all builds up.

Ask some of the younger guys and see if they have the text book they used in school, or whomever is even an instructor in your station. I hope i helped out amigo. Best of luck, and words of advice, try to listen to them, and have fun at the same time.

Forum Member

Is it one of these?

https://www.comapps.ohio.gov/sfm/fir...ourseList.aspx

You have to put firefighter in and hit search

Thanks shark bait. I appreciate it. And congrats on graduating fire 1. Hope you plan to pursue fire 2 and emt or paramedic

Hey fire.....my classes will not be held by the ohio fire academy. They will be held by four county career center. They mainly educate highschool kids. They do put on extra classes for the volunteer companies here in nw ohio where I live. I wish I knew when my classes exactly start but everyone has just been hearing that they will begin the first week of september. Cant wait though.

Thanks fire. That helped too. I guess ill be focusing on all the things listed.

Forum Member

sharkbait basically covered what you should expect to learn at FF1. It is your foundation to build on and will be some beginner stuff, things you many know already, or maybe things you may find a bit more difficult. As far as being treated like crap, being treated as a probie is different than being treated like crap. A probie is there to work hard, listen to all senior members and try to learn as much as they can and yes to clean alot around the fire house but while that happens it is normal to be picked on a bit and some jokes here and there but when the tones drop all of that should be left in the fire house. You are now a brother and should be treated like one as long as it is deserved (not saying you dont deserve it). It seems maybe that some of the brothers may not know a whole lot about the courses just try to speak with a officer such as your Captain or Chief about classes that is who i usually speak with to get the most knowledge about specific classes. Try to be at the fire house more and when there are events be sure to hang around, clean up and ask around if there is any way you can help with anything. It always helps to show you want to be there and take pride in the house. It seems you are eager to learn and are respectful so i dont think you should have any problems but try to get a little thicker skin when it comes to jokes and such with probies, we all have gone through it. It is normal and soon will pass but regardless respect your brothers and the department and you will be good
    Last edited by FDEngine; 07-31-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Forum Member

best of luck....cant really say what approach the teacher takes but you should watch some videos of you tube about different techniques to gain a head start

Know your gear - know it so well you can do the donning drill in the dark and still get in under the required time.

Learn your practical skills and practice, practice, practice. Keep a hank of rope available - so you can practice knots while you're watching the game.

Read. Read the assigned material. Read whatever else you can get your hands on. Check out the drill pages here and on other sites, like firefighterclosecalls.com. Look at the skills needed and understand why they count.

Listen and watch. Then listen and watch some more.

Plus everything everyone else said.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Kwoo im in the same boat. All I know is that the first class is going to be Sept.30 No idea on what the rest of the schedule looks like or even where its going to be held at. So far i have been told 3 different locations. I know i got some work to do before hand but im ready to get my learn on.

Quote Originally Posted by jvanorder View Post
    Kwoo im in the same boat. All I know is that the first class is going to be Sept.30 No idea on what the rest of the schedule looks like or even where its going to be held at. So far i have been told 3 different locations. I know i got some work to do before hand but im ready to get my learn on.
    Yes I agree I'm ready to get my learn on as well. Where are you from?

Quote Originally Posted by FDEngine View Post
    sharkbait basically covered what you should expect to learn at FF1. It is your foundation to build on and will be some beginner stuff, things you many know already, or maybe things you may find a bit more difficult. As far as being treated like crap, being treated as a probie is different than being treated like crap. A probie is there to work hard, listen to all senior members and try to learn as much as they can and yes to clean alot around the fire house but while that happens it is normal to be picked on a bit and some jokes here and there but when the tones drop all of that should be left in the fire house. You are now a brother and should be treated like one as long as it is deserved (not saying you dont deserve it). It seems maybe that some of the brothers may not know a whole lot about the courses just try to speak with a officer such as your Captain or Chief about classes that is who i usually speak with to get the most knowledge about specific classes. Try to be at the fire house more and when there are events be sure to hang around, clean up and ask around if there is any way you can help with anything. It always helps to show you want to be there and take pride in the house. It seems you are eager to learn and are respectful so i dont think you should have any problems but try to get a little thicker skin when it comes to jokes and such with probies, we all have gone through it. It is normal and soon will pass but regardless respect your brothers and the department and you will be good
    Thanks for the compliments And the good tips too.

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Know your gear - know it so well you can do the donning drill in the dark and still get in under the required time.

Learn your practical skills and practice, practice, practice. Keep a hank of rope available - so you can practice knots while you're watching the game.

Read. Read the assigned material. Read whatever else you can get your hands on. Check out the drill pages here and on other sites, like firefighterclosecalls.com. Look at the skills needed and understand why they count.

Listen and watch. Then listen and watch some more.

Plus everything everyone else said.
    I'm definitely learning my gear. At least the gear I can get my hands on. I've tinkered with everythibg but my scba mask(sorry if that's the incorrect terminology) I'm also learning tools and know a lot about tools already

Not trying to sound cocky either.....sorry if I rub you that way. Since I was 5 or so I've been educating myself as much as possible. :P

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kwoo222 View Post
    Thanks for the compliments And the good tips too.
    no problem

Forum Member

Im in michigan west side south of holland in a little migrant town called fennville

Quote Originally Posted by jvanorder View Post
    Im in michigan west side south of holland in a little migrant town called fennville
    Ahh ok for a minute there I thought you were from northwest ohio.

I think shark covered it pretty well. I went through and finished fire 1 in may and am now in fire 2 in iowa. the main thing to remember is, there is a lot of material that will be covered. make sure that you pay attention. show up for skill nights and participate. especially if you are new to the fire service. this may be your first exposure to some of the techniques that will be covered. it is a great experience and you should have fun while you are doing it! good luck.

Thread Information