Like Tree6Likes

Thread: This is the no LaFire Educator topic, he will not be mentioned past the title.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Default This is the no LaFire Educator topic, he will not be mentioned past the title.

I want to talk about volunteer fire departments.

What have you done to improve funding, training, and recruiting?
    scfire86 likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Default Recruiting

As far as recruiting, approach new residents in your community. I have found that some want to participate in their new community. If they have prior firefighting, rescue, EMS experience, etc. (as well as certifications), that is a plus. As always, have background checks done on these new members.

Forum Member

A little background on us: We are a small rural department that runs Fire and BLS non-transport EMS, we cover 60 square miles that includes a town of 300 people and the rest is rural residences and farmland, we run about 60 calls a year Fire and EMS combined.

Funding - Yearly budget is ~40K, we've asked for an increase every year but don't get it
    - One big fundraiser every year, it is a smoked pork loin feed, nets us 3-5k depending on year
    - Local grants, we apply for all of the local grants that we can they go from $500 to $5,000
    - We have established a program at our local Co-op that allows farmers to donate grain and sell it with the money going to the Department
    - If we have a large project we will send out a letter asking for donations, this raised us over 50K towards the engine we purchased last year

Training (I believe this is where we have made the most improvements in the past few years)
    - We have a training officer, he is also the TO at a career dept and that gives us access to a lot of materials and props that we wouldn't otherwise be able to use
    - We train two nights a month, minimum, with other trainings thrown in if people are around or one comes up
    - We train one night a month, minimum, with our closest M/A dept.
    - We train a lot on the basics, but we also throw other things in to keep it fresh and interesting

Before we implemented this training plan attendance at our meetings and occasional trainings was not good. Now we have 85%+ attendance at all of our meetings and trainings. I think this is due to the fact that guys know that we are actually going to be doing something and not just sitting around. The training with other departments has greatly increased camaraderie and knowledge among members from all departments participating.

Recruiting - We train more so people see us and the equipment out and being used and not just sitting in a building, sparks some more interest
    - We try to be involved and more visible in the community to get people interested
    - We run articles/ads in our town paper from time to time to try and let people know we need more help

I know that some of these may be things we should have had in place for years and may not seem like they make much difference, but until we got a new Chief 3 years ago we were stuck in the stone age. We need to do more and we are slowly building to it. I hope this thread can generate some good ideas!

Forum Member

We recently tried a community appreciation day. (I came up with the idea to give back after last year's fire season when the community helped out a lot. We would normally have a fireman's dinner where we would spend a similar amount of money on ourselves for food and beer. It was a nice time but did not help our image with the people.) We cooked two hogs and most of the firefighters brought a salad or a desert. We also had a book printed up that was thirty pages that had pictures of the fire and ems people and some history of the dept.( founded in 1904). Included in the book was a breakdown on how exactly we are funded and how the money is spent. All of the trucks we own and the ones we lease for nothing were detailed. The process of how we got our beautiful station built and paid for was explained in depth as well. Basically we sought to answer all of the questions that are brought up at the coffee shop. We figured that most of the negativity aimed at the fire dept. was because of ignorance and rumor. If a question was asked we answered truthfully. I figured that openness and honesty with the community could only help us when it comes to recruitment and donations. Some people in town were surprised to learn that we have no tax district. We gave mention to the top responders and people with the most training hours as well. We had games for the kids and the ems people did demonstrations as well. The cherry on top was a full speed extrication demo put on by the firefighters. The citizens LOVED it! They wanted to know how much the tools cost and were flabbergasted when they found out that we obtain them with grant money and a pancake and chill feed. Overall I feel the day was a success and should help us recruit, fundraise and have a better image at the coffee shop.
    Last edited by conrad427; 07-31-2013 at 09:13 PM.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post

I know that you have had success with training Fyred, I am beating my head against the wall, any tips?(should I beat my noggin faster, slower, alternate side to side?)
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

In the last 5 or 6 years....

Less fund raising activities...but more profitable ones.

We train less. Not thrilled about that...but it is what it is.

Recruiting....not enough. But working on more ideas.

We've had a rough patch for a couple years. Working on turning things around...but it all takes time.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE117 View Post
    As far as recruiting, approach new residents in your community. I have found that some want to participate in their new community. If they have prior firefighting, rescue, EMS experience, etc. (as well as certifications), that is a plus. As always, have background checks done on these new members.
    I like the approaching new residents idea. I should be able to get that info from our village clerk who does the water and sewer bills.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF715MRFD View Post
    A little background on us: We are a small rural department that runs Fire and BLS non-transport EMS, we cover 60 square miles that includes a town of 300 people and the rest is rural residences and farmland, we run about 60 calls a year Fire and EMS combined.

Funding - Yearly budget is ~40K, we've asked for an increase every year but don't get it
    - One big fundraiser every year, it is a smoked pork loin feed, nets us 3-5k depending on year
    - Local grants, we apply for all of the local grants that we can they go from $500 to $5,000
    - We have established a program at our local Co-op that allows farmers to donate grain and sell it with the money going to the Department
    - If we have a large project we will send out a letter asking for donations, this raised us over 50K towards the engine we purchased last year

Training (I believe this is where we have made the most improvements in the past few years)
    - We have a training officer, he is also the TO at a career dept and that gives us access to a lot of materials and props that we wouldn't otherwise be able to use
    - We train two nights a month, minimum, with other trainings thrown in if people are around or one comes up
    - We train one night a month, minimum, with our closest M/A dept.
    - We train a lot on the basics, but we also throw other things in to keep it fresh and interesting

Before we implemented this training plan attendance at our meetings and occasional trainings was not good. Now we have 85%+ attendance at all of our meetings and trainings. I think this is due to the fact that guys know that we are actually going to be doing something and not just sitting around. The training with other departments has greatly increased camaraderie and knowledge among members from all departments participating.

Recruiting - We train more so people see us and the equipment out and being used and not just sitting in a building, sparks some more interest
    - We try to be involved and more visible in the community to get people interested
    - We run articles/ads in our town paper from time to time to try and let people know we need more help

I know that some of these may be things we should have had in place for years and may not seem like they make much difference, but until we got a new Chief 3 years ago we were stuck in the stone age. We need to do more and we are slowly building to it. I hope this thread can generate some good ideas!
    I like everything you are doing. We are out in the community training too so people see us and often people will stop by and want to know what we are doing. It is alway a recruitment opportunity.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    I know that you have had success with training Fyred, I am beating my head against the wall, any tips?(should I beat my noggin faster, slower, alternate side to side?)
    Well my first thing is I know all the vollies that show up for week night training are working all day. So how do I deal with that? I try not to waste there time. I have drills planned and if I can I have props set up a head of time so we can get to work right away. Or I may have a drill drawn out on the chalk board so we can do a quick chalk talk and explain what we are going to do so we don't waste time explaining the drill over and over.

Second thing is I plan my drills for between 1 and 2 hours. The funny thing is I have found that many times the firefighters themselves wish to keep going and we will go 3 hours some nights. I figure get to the heart of the drill get it going and repeat as necessary, but I don't belabor the point just to get to a set number of hours.

Third thing is once you have drilled on basics you need to flesh it out some to make it more meaningful. How do you do that? Do scenario based drills where you put all those skills together. I have run drills like the Blitz Attack/Water Supply, Rural Relay/Attack Drill, City Relay/Attack Drill, Forcible Entry/Hose Advance/PPV Drill. Just last week we did a mutual aid drill with both FDs I am on, and a third FD, where we did a rural water relay and blitz attack. I have found firefighters like these types of drills because they see the individual components they have learned all come together.

Fourth thing is to look for feed back from both department officers AND the firefighters. How the drill went and what else they would like to train on.

People don't want to show up and have someone look at them and go "Um, let's drive the trucks tonight or start the power equipment." Especially if it is time after time after time. It is important stuff but it isn't training.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    In the last 5 or 6 years....

Less fund raising activities...but more profitable ones.

We train less. Not thrilled about that...but it is what it is.

Recruiting....not enough. But working on more ideas.

We've had a rough patch for a couple years. Working on turning things around...but it all takes time.
    It's funny how almost all VFDs go through this type of thing.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Well my first thing is I know all the vollies that show up for week night training are working all day. So how do I deal with that? I try not to waste there time. I have drills planned and if I can I have props set up a head of time so we can get to work right away. Or I may have a drill drawn out on the chalk board so we can do a quick chalk talk and explain what we are going to do so we don't waste time explaining the drill over and over.

Second thing is I plan my drills for between 1 and 2 hours. The funny thing is I have found that many times the firefighters themselves wish to keep going and we will go 3 hours some nights. I figure get to the heart of the drill get it going and repeat as necessary, but I don't belabor the point just to get to a set number of hours.

Third thing is once you have drilled on basics you need to flesh it out some to make it more meaningful. How do you do that? Do scenario based drills where you put all those skills together. I have run drills like the Blitz Attack/Water Supply, Rural Relay/Attack Drill, City Relay/Attack Drill, Forcible Entry/Hose Advance/PPV Drill. Just last week we did a mutual aid drill with both FDs I am on, and a third FD, where we did a rural water relay and blitz attack. I have found firefighters like these types of drills because they see the individual components they have learned all come together.

Fourth thing is to look for feed back from both department officers AND the firefighters. How the drill went and what else they would like to train on.

People don't want to show up and have someone look at them and go "Um, let's drive the trucks tonight or start the power equipment." Especially if it is time after time after time. It is important stuff but it isn't training.
    Great points. I am concerned about the fact that we never do an after action review when we finish training.
    We do a lot of the "lets drive the trucks and start the power equipment."
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

The funding part came up in about 2008 (if memory serves me correctly). We are a combination department (with the majority of full time employee's also volunteering). The City Manager wanted to have a justification for the training budget. This is where record keeping can help you out. Figured out the number of hours we trained and the amount of money he (the City) spent on it. Did the math and it figured out to $0.17 cents an hour. The Assistant Chief at the time said after that was presented the City Manager quickly moved onto another topic.
    Providing information in that manner helped us with the training budget and the funding for it. As for the recruiting, that can be a difficult row to hoe.

Good luck,
    Walt
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

Great points. I am concerned about the fact that we never do an after action review when we finish training.
    i agree, at my volly dept the first hr of training is just doing truck checks.. we are a combination deartment with 3 career guys at the station, plus the supplemental volunteers... our problem is we don't have a regular showing of a certain amount of people.. we train every monday of the month, one night we might have 9 guys(including the 3 officers) show up the next week we'll have 13-15 guys show up.. also not everyone has fire certs that allow them to do interior attacks.. so we struggle in the planning training aspects of things..

as far as fundraising we do a mail out where we send a letter out to the citizens of the city and they can send back a check

the week before christmas we put christmas lights on the ladder truck, put the chief on the ladder platform in a santa suit and drive through the neighborhoods with the lights on and throw out candy to the kids and other people that come out of their houses.. not necessarily to get donations, but just to do a little morale thing with the citizens...

as far as funding and everything, we get our budget from the county for training and chiefs truck costs like fuel and maintenance.. training budget can be used for if a member is going out of town for classes, EMT school, or buying material to build props etc...

like last year i went to a fire school that puts on a week long school where you can take as many classes or live burns as you can fit into your schedule for like $125.. the county reimbursed me for the hotel, fuel, food, and the cost of the class...

because its a combination system, we dont have to worry about raising money for fixing the apparatus or buying tools.. we fundraise, for the christmas and easter thing.. or if are training budget is gone we can still buy supplies for roof ventilation prop, or forcible entry prop etc.. we can buy junk cars from the junkyard to drill on extrication etc

Forum Member

FFWALT,

DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT!! It will save your butt everytime.

One time when I was the POC Chief of my #1 POC FD I was accused, by annonymous letter, of making over $20 an hour and was essentially making a full time salary. I document everything that I got paid for for the year, I got $500 a year for being chief, we were all paid for training, meetings, emergency calls, and certain activities (Like PR events, pub ed, etc.) As it turns out I was making $20.53 a week and my Assistant Chief was making just over $21.00 a week. You could hear a pin drop at the board meeting that I addressed this issue at. Why did I address it at a village board meeting? Because it was my only chance to do it in a public forum.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I alway ask for feedback. How can I possibly know if I am getting through to them, or if the training is meaningful.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ladder9volley View Post
    i agree, at my volly dept the first hr of training is just doing truck checks.. we are a combination deartment with 3 career guys at the station, plus the supplemental volunteers... our problem is we don't have a regular showing of a certain amount of people.. we train every monday of the month, one night we might have 9 guys(including the 3 officers) show up the next week we'll have 13-15 guys show up.. also not everyone has fire certs that allow them to do interior attacks.. so we struggle in the planning training aspects of things..

Does your FD have a minimum standard for training? My #1 POC FD has FF1 as a minimum standard for FFs and Entry Level Fire Apparatus Driver Operator for drivers.

We train 2 nights a month on my #1 POC FD and 2 or 3 on my #2 POC FD. We suffer from the same problem and it is worse during planting and harvesting time. I don't have an answer for that. If you find one let me know!

as far as fundraising we do a mail out where we send a letter out to the citizens of the city and they can send back a check

Is that very successful? We have never tried that.

the week before christmas we put christmas lights on the ladder truck, put the chief on the ladder platform in a santa suit and drive through the neighborhoods with the lights on and throw out candy to the kids and other people that come out of their houses.. not necessarily to get donations, but just to do a little morale thing with the citizens...

I like that idea too but I am afraid the weather here would make that a bit hard to do.

as far as funding and everything, we get our budget from the county for training and chiefs truck costs like fuel and maintenance.. training budget can be used for if a member is going out of town for classes, EMT school, or buying material to build props etc...

Are you a county based or municipal FD?

like last year i went to a fire school that puts on a week long school where you can take as many classes or live burns as you can fit into your schedule for like $125.. the county reimbursed me for the hotel, fuel, food, and the cost of the class...

because its a combination system, we dont have to worry about raising money for fixing the apparatus or buying tools.. we fundraise, for the christmas and easter thing.. or if are training budget is gone we can still buy supplies for roof ventilation prop, or forcible entry prop etc.. we can buy junk cars from the junkyard to drill on extrication etc

And that is how I think it should be. Sounds like you are well supported.
    I think I will bring up the mailer idea and present it to the Chief.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 08-01-2013 at 12:47 PM.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I think I will bring up te mailer idea and present it to the Chief.
    So now you are prohibiting me from posting?

Pretty sad.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    So now you are prohibiting me from posting?

Pretty sad.
    Not in the least. I just didn't want any of your inane bull schitt about being dragged into a topic. I knew the second I posted that title you wouldn't be able to help yourself.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Does anyone have any innovative training ideas they would like to share?
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Fundraising...we are down to 4 a year.

We do a letter mailout. We get the addresses from the County Tax records so we have the property owners address...not the physical address. This being due to my community is a tourist area so many properties are owned by people who never live there. We send a letter about what the fire company does and how we help the community. The letter fairly explicitly states this fund drive is NOT for fire fighting expenses, but goes towards building expenses. Our town provides a small budget to cover operating expenses. Avg ~$24k a year.

Harley Motorcyle raffle. We work with a dealer in Atlantic County cuz he works very well with us. We pick out a bike (little customized, little higher end) and have it in a trailer. He takes payments on it as we go, so no big initial expense. Limit of 2500 tickets at $20 each. End of the summer, we pull the winner. Avg ~22k per year. We are on 10th year.

Beefsteak dinner. This is new for us, have only had 2. We have a company come in and prepare/cook/serve the food. We provide some drinks. This year we added a comic. Not a huge money maker...but a very fun night.

Fishing Flea Market. We sell table space at our local school and guys sell fishing related stuff (we're on the Ocean, so fishing is big). It's a couple thousand dollars and a decent bit of work...but we've been doing it so long it's almost an expected event.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Does anyone have any innovative training ideas they would like to share?
    Nothing super, but has proven to be very worthwhile. We go out on a pumping night, but before each operator starts pumping, we do something to "test" them. It may be simply opening another discharge, it may be over tightening a cap, etc. Drain valves open usually catch them when drafting.

FAST drills at local playground. Lots of good obstacles there.

Setup a few stations at firehouse....mask up, search a room, drag a hose, force a door, do a ladder climb, etc. But make it a safe race. Loser cooks dinner.

Forum Member

I think I will bring up the mailer idea and present it to the Chief.
    yes the mailout goes fairly well, we use an outside company and in the cost of their service includes postage and materials.. like Bones said we use the tax records to get the addresses, and we are also in snowbird country so there are a lot of empty houses throughout the year...

for our fire department minimum standards is same as florida, interior attack can be performed by FF1 but must be accompanied by a FF2, EVOC has to be a 16 hr certified course.. for the vollies we have to complete the evoc course, then a check off list for each apparatus(tanker, ladder, and ambulance) basically its know the gpm the trucks can flow, how much water they hold, where are the tools, etc.. for the ladder you also have to have ariel operations certification to drive the truck...

like i said earlier in this post, i live in florida so the christmas thing is really simple since theres no snow to worry about..

we are county based with 7 or 8 stations spread throughout the county, 3 or 4 of the stations have volunteers, but we as volunteers can respond to any county emergency regardless if its your designated station or not...

it really is comfortable knowing that all the equipment we use is stocked, inspected, and everything through the career side of the county..

theres a ton of perks that come with this county as well when it comes to training, my fire 1 and fire 2 academy is put on through the county so its totally free, and EMT class can be reimbursed for if theres money in the training budget.. plus they offer fire officer, inspector, fire instructor courses as well all for free.. so right now im fire 1 and 2 with half of my fire officer 1 certification completed.. only been volunteering for 2 years now...

Forum Member

As for training ideas, my truck check partner is a new guy with less than a year on. I decided he needed more pack time and none of the officers would take the time to train him. So we did our truck check on air in full bunker gear. Got to practice picking up stuff with gloves on and communicating with the face piece. He had not been over the tender before so we took our time and killed two birds with one stone. Not much I know but it was effective and let him know at least someone cares about his training.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

We have played SCBA Basketball before, Keep playing until you are sucking face mask.
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronValor View Post
    We have played SCBA Basketball before, Keep playing until you are sucking face mask.
    ive never personally done it or seen it, but i have seen pictures of guys doing that at my station...

Thread Information