Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MemphisE34a

Thread: Anybody ever remount a Q siren?

Forum Member

Default Anybody ever remount a Q siren?

Somewhere in a nearby junkyard is a 1960's Ford pumper we once owned. On it is a pedestal-mounted Q siren.

Coming soon to a station near us is a used pumper that has no such siren. Me hearty lads and I are curious about possibly plundering that Q from the old truck and putting it on the new one.

Because the new truck has a pretty chrome plate between the headlights (like FMC and Pierce always put on these Ford cabovers), I'm thinking of flush-mounting the Q on the bumper.

Do you just have to remove that bullet-shaped housing from a pedestal-mounted Q to convert it to a flush-mount Q?

Any photos or ideas are welcomed.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

You have to remove the chrome housing and then unbolt the pedestal mount. You will have to fabricate a new flush mount bracket or order one from Federal Signal. See pages two and three of the install manual...

http://www.fedsig.com/docs/256A768K.pdf

Forum Member

Make sure you have an alternator big enough to supply the amperage.

MembersZone Subscriber

There shouldn't be a problem re-mounting it and putting in new switches for the brake and activation.

If the alternator does not work, youre more than welcome to send the Q to me and I'll make sure it gets put to good use on our engine at work! LoL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 19RedSanders83 View Post
    There shouldn't be a problem re-mounting it and putting in new switches for the brake and activation.

If the alternator does not work, youre more than welcome to send the Q to me and I'll make sure it gets put to good use on our engine at work! LoL
    Ohhhhhhhhhh, I see how you work!

Forum Member

Not a good idea. Holes in bumpers are either punched, laser cut, or water jet cut resulting in clean cuts that do not heat a large section of the chrome bumper.

You trying to cut a hole in it will most likely result in an ugly hole with discoloration far beyond the edge of the cut. If you already have a pedestal mount, pedestal mount it.

Do you know how to wire it using a solenoid?
    CaptOldTimer likes this.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Not a good idea. Holes in bumpers are either punched, laser cut, or water jet cut resulting in clean cuts that do not heat a large section of the chrome bumper.

You trying to cut a hole in it will most likely result in an ugly hole with discoloration far beyond the edge of the cut. If you already have a pedestal mount, pedestal mount it.

Do you know how to wire it using a solenoid?
    I won't be the one doing the wiring. I'm the Online Information Officer. Delegate! I did find a Federal manual for how to wire one, so I think our electrically-trained guys should be able to do it correctly.

Thanks for the tip on the bumper. The chrome is in good shape on it, so I sure don't want to screw it up. I think we'll have to root for finding a pedestal mount. I've done some searching but can't seem to get the right term for a successful search. Maybe "Q siren pedestal mount" might do it, huh?

Thanks to all for the ideas so far. The truck is back from some body repair work and should get lettered and equipped soon. I think we're training with it again tonight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the bumper. The chrome is in good shape on it, so I sure don't want to screw it up. I think we'll have to root for finding a pedestal mount. I've done some searching but can't seem to get the right term for a successful search. Maybe "Q siren pedestal mount" might do it, huh?.
    Try "Federal Q2A" & "Federal Q2B".

Make sure you check out eBay and you can occasionaly find one on elightbars.org
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

The mounts for a Q2A and Q2B will be the same, the difference between A and B is the Q2B has the siren brake.

Thread Information