Forum Member

Default Help Please/ MINS ICS for the fire service

Hello everyone, I feel like a rookie asking these questions but here it is:

I am a low level senior and the lowest on my shift. We have a new rookie who is working days until he leaves for the academy and I have been helping him study. Well, my last shift I was going over nims/ics with him (only the basics). To make a long story short my Captain and I ended up arguing over ics (things I wasn't even going over) so the questions I have are; when is ics actually over with on a call (small and large)? From my understanding, through research and Classes, is that ics is never really done it just expands and shrinks as needed and is in use in daily operations not just on emergency scenes and that even though command is terminated on scene, ics still plays a part as far as paper work, getting the truck put back in service, and other tasks that have to be done. However I am told that I'm wrong and ics is done when command is terminated on scene. I am sorry my short version is so long. Thank you for any answers and advice! If I am wrong, can you explain why? And if I am correct, can you give me any advice on how to explain it to my seniors?

Adam

Forum Member

Both kind of right

Just a matter of perspective

I don't think I would try to explain it to the higher up.

Let's talk fire trucks!

In a way, you're both kind of right.

Operationally, ICS is complete when command is terminated, and this is pretty much universally recognized in the US fire service. I think it would be pretty silly to have ops, logistics, and finance established to make sure the reports were complete and hose was put back on the engine.

That being said, when you look at NIMS when on Type I, Type II, and some Type III incidents, there are individuals responsible for making sure that paperwork is complete and others that make sure the deployed personnel arrive back at their home agencies safely, and folks that handle other non-operational tasks.

ICS and NIMS aren't the same thing, although they each compliment one another and dovetail together.

As fire49 suggested, of all of the things you could try to address with the company officer or senior man, I don't think I'd choose to make an issue out of this.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Thank you for your advice I won't make it an issue of it. With that being said if I could ask one more piece of advice. I have run into this problem multiple times on fifteenth topics once almost cost me my promotion due to the fact that some of my seniors do not keep up to date on new techniques and say I am wrong, because I was wrought differently than they where. Any advice on how to handle these situations in the future?

Forum Member

Well sounds like your department has their way of doing things.

Which there can be many ways of doing the same thing.

So for promotions, seems like you would want to espouse department views.

You can also work with someone to look at different ideas, to see if the department will implement them

Forum Member

Thank you very much you guys have helped a lot

Thread Information