Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Question about volunteering

I was wondering do most fire departments that are volunteer want you to have EMT-Basic? I live in South Florida and turned in application's to two volunteer fire departments here and have not heard back from them in several months. I have went up there multiple times also and they just said they would get back to me. On the application's it did not say you had to be certfiied EMT-Basic. I was looking to start volunteering while I am taking my EMT- Basic class. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JS305 View Post
    I was wondering do most fire departments that are volunteer want you to have EMT-Basic? I live in South Florida and turned in application's to two volunteer fire departments here and have not heard back from them in several months. I have went up there multiple times also and they just said they would get back to me. On the application's it did not say you had to be certfiied EMT-Basic. I was looking to start volunteering while I am taking my EMT- Basic class. Thanks
    Every department is different, but we recently started requiring all new members to get EMT-B within 2 years of joining. Previously we only required First Responder.

Requirements to get EMT-B differ from department to department and depends greatly on who provides EMS services. Departments who don't run ambulances may not require EMT-B. Also, in Maryland, you have to be associated with an organization in order to get your EMT, so you can't be required to have EMT prior to joining.

It seems odd to me that they wouldn't sit down and explain to you what the requirements are to join and what the process is. With most departments having trouble recruiting and keeping volunteers, I wouldn't think they could leave you in the dark for so long.

Forum Member

Typical most departments would require it within a year or so when you start volunteering so i dont see why they would require it before you start. As Eng34 said it seems a bit odd they wouldnt at least sit down with you and tell you what they expect and such.

It took several months for my application process as well i appiled back in april and have just recently got on my department, the process has changed alot since years ago and alot of steps have to be taken before they can accept volunteers so just try to be patient and if possible maybe apply to another department in your area. Do your best to be patient and try to keep in contact with them along the way. Good luck.

Forum Member

I have went up to the fire departments about once a month the past five months. I don't want to become a nuisance to them. I meet all the requirements for being a volunteer firefighter for both of these departments. It just annoys me that they keep telling me to come back and whenever I drive around I see signs telling you to volunteer and that they need you. All I am trying to do is help out. I know I can't do to much yet because I don't have the training but I am in shape and can move stuff around, clean, or just about anything that would count as a helping hand.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

The EMT requirement depends entirely on the FD. They may or may not run EMS of any kind.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Many Departments in Florida are County-Run. Usually these counties establish the minimum training requirements. Have you checked to see if the County has a Fire Department website? How about the individual volunteer departments? Have you tried to contact a Chief Officer of this organization? Personally if I were the Chief of this place, and I found out that there was a potential volunteer that has been getting dusted off for 5 months, I would be livid and whoever has been blowing you off would quickly be unhappy themselves- totally unacceptable.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information