Forum Member

Default Ideas for 2 Days of Training

Guys,

I need to solicit ideas for only two days of rope training, assuming the audience has very little to no rope experience. I have been asked to assist a local dept with a weekend of training, and given two full days to conduct this training. As a disclaimer, I'll be the first to say that I do not believe in cutting training short, or cramming into two days. I do not believe in those five day classes advertised as "Rope Technician" programs. However, I'm not necessarily trying to meet any NFPA Ops levels, just want to be of a value to these guys in the two days I have with them. I know in only two days we can't get too far with this, but want to give them a decent foundation. We had even discussed picking up another two days down the road, and build upon the initial training. I am not writing any cirriculum for any program or getting compensated for my time, but do want to assist them in this. Any thoughts on what you'd cover would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Low angle rope rescue operational is a 3 day course. I am sure you can squeeze it into two days. Here is the CSFM LARRO taskbook. It even shows recommended time spent.
    http://osfm.fire.ca.gov/training/pdf...nttaskbook.pdf

Forum Member

If you want to be of value to this group (your customer) I would first make them understand that 2 days of training is not enough for them to go operational on any level...especially a group with little to no experience. By spending two says with folks all they will understand is "what" to do and will not understand "why" they need to perform the task a prescribed way. This methodology sets the stage for failure as they will not retain the information and they will not be able to conduct a rescue that is outside the execution parameters of the training you delivered.

I would recommend building the program around NFPA 1006 Chapter 5 and 6. This is a solid measuring stick for professional qualifications. No matter what your (or who ever is reading this) opinion of NFPA is, look into any organizations rope rescue requirements and you will be able to coorelate nearly all of it to 1006. 1006 is skills (and knowledge) based and is a great outline. In 2-days you should be able to deliver training on the Chapter 5 material. You can view the standard by creating a user name and logging into NFPA.org.

I've raised this question to others who have made similar posts about doing pro-bono training. Do you have any kind of liability insurance? Errors and ommission insurance? Will you ask for the department to provide a letter stating that all students are covered on their workers compensation insurance? If someone gets hurt an attorney is going to ask to see your lesson plan, ask what standards you were following. Although the first 2 days may not be high risk training, the followup will be as they move into high angle applications. I'm not trying to discourage you, but want you to be protected. Knowing the Chief or being friends with one of the guys will not stop someone's significant other from questioning how their loved one got hurt when there is a mortgage payment to be made.

I commend your willingness to help out a sister organization. I'll end with this...It takes years to build a resume, but only 1 day to ruin it.

Once you have an idea of what you want to do shoot me an email...jmatthews@technicalrc.net and I'll help you out with some learning aids. I'm in Clover, SC so I have a soft spot for helping the volunteer organizations in the state.

Jeff

Forum Member

I would just stick to low angle, there is no way to get to high angle in two days in a safe manner. The class should be kept small (under 12) so everyone can try all the stations during evolutions.

The instructors top priority should be, no one gets hurt.
    Last edited by MichaelXYZ; 08-04-2013 at 06:25 AM.

Forum Member

I would recommend a Basic Ropes&Rigging Course out line. First is they have no past exp. Start with Ropes and Knots key to Rope Rescue is tying the knots. Make sure everyone is good in that practice. If not maybe them 2 days need to be on tying knots. But if so. Then review knots and then move to Picket system, Anchoring systems, Pt Packaging, and Lowers/Raises (Lowers to ie the Rack and eared 8) (Raises to simple Z Rig) Then Teach them Change Over from the Raise & Lower. Then talk about Belays. Also Rope/Hardware Maint. Cleaning. This will be 2 days worth of teaching. I think doing anything els would be to much for them. Iv tough before and this works on ur not so exp. group.

Forum Member

Basic knots should be a prerequisite before starting the class.

Forum Member

But as stated these people know slim to none. So before starting go over knots.

Forum Member

My assumption was these people were FF, so I would expect some basic knot knowledge. In the case that they do not know knots, I would do the following:
    I taught a group of geologist some basic rope rescue skills on a one day seminar. Very basic we did much of what you mentioned above. To save time I sent out knot study guides and assigned it as pre-class homework, that way on class day we just did a 1 hr. knot review. Some good knot resources are listed below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV3IubZjGnI
    http://www.animatedknots.com/indexrescue.php
    Download article 1. http://www.paci.com.au/knots.php

The instructor should specify which knots the students should study. At least family of 8's, clove hitch, half hitch, and bowline, and water knot.

Well, that's how I would do it.

Thread Information