Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    On a side note, how many of you are eligible to work overtime on vacation days? We are, but other cities around us won't allow it.
    We are not eligible to work scheduled OT on our normal work day when "on vacation". However, we can work scheduled OT on the other 3 shifts when "on vacation".

As a small department, we typically do a department wide callback for most working fires. When that happens, a member can respond to the fire and be paid at the OT rate even when the fire is on their own shift regardless of their "work status" that day unless they are off on sick leave or off due to a work-related injury.

BoxAlarm187
    Along these same lines, how much annual and sick leave do you all accrue per pay? With my time in grade, I get 12.92 hours of AL per pay, 6 hours of SL, and 9 hours of comp leave (no overtime for me).
    Our time is awarded on an annual basis. At the start of each year, we get 5 sick days, 5 personal days and however many vacation days you are entitled to based on your years of service. We can carry over unused sick days up to a limit of 25. At that point, any unused sick days at the end of the year above 25 are bought back at 75%. Unused personal days are bought back at the end of the year at 100%. The only time we can buy back unused vacation days is when you separate service, typically at retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Are you saying that you can be scheduled off for vacation on a work day, but still get hired back on OT? No chance of that here.
    Yes exactly. I can be off on a vacation day and work my own assignment if I am up on the OT callback list. Basically - if off on vacation I am eligible for callback same as being off on a regular off day.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Along these same lines, how much annual and sick leave do you all accrue per pay? With my time in grade, I get 12.92 hours of AL per pay, 6 hours of SL, and 9 hours of comp leave (no overtime for me). One nice perk we have is that we can take 24 hours of personal sick leave or family sick leave, but we're only charged for 12.
    I get 14 vacation days a year, 4 bonus days that I can sell back to the City instead of using, and earn 30 sick hours per month - no comp time.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I get 14 vacation days a year, 4 bonus days that I can sell back to the City instead of using, and earn 30 sick hours per month - no comp time.
    We get 156 hrs of holiday leave per fiscal year that is accrued at 13 hrs per month. If you don't burn any, you get that 13 hrs paid out in straight time. We can convert our own OT to comp time up to 108 hrs. You can cash in 60 hrs of comp that will be paid out as straight time.
    IAFF

We work a 24/48 on a 53 hr. week, with a 28-day cycle. We don't do traditional Kelly Days. We have every 9th shift as a paid day off, called a liberty day. If your liberty day falls on the first day of the 28 day cycle, it will also fall on the last day of the cycle, and it will be cancelled. You will, however, get first priority on using annual leave for that cancelled liberty day.

We don't do overtime. If we did, captains and above (we don't have lieutenants) are overtime exempt. They still get liberty days, but the county could decide not to at any point. What they do, though, is sometimes bank their liberty days, or turn them into comp time. Since they're not owed a liberty day to prevent overtime, it's actually generous of the county to give them to them. Likewise, even if we use all the leave in the world, we still get our liberty day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by footrat View Post
    We don't do overtime. If we did, captains and above (we don't have lieutenants) are overtime exempt.
    You might want to get a legal opinion (if you haven't already) regarding your captains being overtime exempt. If they are working as company officers, then they probably aren't exempt from overtime pay other than for the application of the 7(K) exemption in the FLSA.

Pittsburgh just wrapped up a lawsuit on the matter a couple months ago. The City wasn't paying it's LTs and Captains OT rate for specific hours worked in which a line firefighter would've been paid at OT rate. Can't remember off hand if it was a verdict or settlement, but the company officers prevailed and got back pay plus the change going forward.

Forum Member

We work a 42 hour week. Those 2 hours per week count as OT rate and we get cycle time to bring it down to 40,that comes to 3 ,3 day tricks off per year as cycle time.

Regular OT would be to,fill I on the opposite shift either a ten hour day or a 14 hour night. I get about ten of those OT's per year.

So anything over 40 hours per week is OT.

We work 24/48 with no Kelly days, anything over 53 hours in a week is OT.
    Barry (The Boz) Stephens
    Georgia Smoke Diver #341

Thread Information