Thread: 2012 Peer DJs

Forum Member

Default 2012 Peer DJs

Here they come...and I don't mean DJ Jazzy Jeff

MembersZone Subscriber

Ye it appears that the fat lady has sang her final aria! Read em and weep folks and then, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and let's climb back in the saddle and ride this bronc one more time.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

And 1 final factoid here. From time of submission to time of DJ notice 396 days! 1 year and 1 month exactly.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

But note the date on the denials...

MembersZone Subscriber

what is it Sly for those of us who did not see it?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    But note the date on the denials...
    Duly noted as Juy 8th but the only one that matters is when it hit your mailbox!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Quite a few are now in the portal; weren't there earlier. I do have a few that I know should be getting denials with no e-mail or portal message yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

The letter was absolutely no help in determining what the deficiency was!
    BB

Forum Member

Initially I thought the same, however after specific review, you will notice that the letter references the items which were paneled and your areas of deficiency:

On the second page of your letter, you will see a heading of

Paneled Activity(s)

Under that heading, there are up to four sections of discussed action items. For example, you may see:

Project Description and Budget (PPE)
    Cost Benefit (PPE)
    Financial Need (PPE)
    Statement of Effect (PPE)

The areas with poor scoring appear to be the ones listed. If one or more of those headings is not present, it appears that your application scored favorably within that narrative section. If it did not, specific examples of how to improve those areas are given.

At the bottom, you may also see a section for any non-paneled items if you had requests within multiple program areas.

Non-Paneled Activity(s)

Equipment

I do agree that the denials are not what everyone would like to see, but I frankly do not see how it is possible to get specific feedback from each reviewer for every application that is not recommended for funding. Again, you are seeing areas your score which are deficient as it relates to the overall fundable range. It is entirely possible that you came within a point or two of funding, but the computer shows your application an overall score lower than xx.xx which was required for funding.

MembersZone Subscriber

Perhaps you are correct. My letter was pretty much the same as what you listed with all four area showing. No particular project area listed though.

I believe I had a good sound application, but made the error of asking for equipment we got in previous years, but the letter did not state that. When we were granted in previous years I kept the ask low for P-25 radios and hose so that the amount was not excessive. We continued to use hose that was good at the time, but now, 5 years later is worn out plus we now have an additional apparatus on which we loaded old hose. When we got the radios, because they were expensive I asked for portables for each truck, but not one per riding position. My mistake then. My 2012 ask was for additional portables to have one for each riding position in all apparatus. I was expecting a DJ based on the mistake I made at application time. I was assuming I would get DJed in technical review. I mentioned the previous awards in the narrative, but said we did not wish to replace the hose awarded 5 years ago but other unsafe hose. The same with the radios, I said they were to be added to the 2005 awarded radios to bring us up to the one per riding position. While I am not a professional grant writer, I have has success with AFG and find it had to believe I was deficient in all areas...while I do believe I made a major screw up in the request.

Not trying to be a know it all, just giving my humble opinion.

Any additional thoughts?
    BB

Forum Member

Bottom line is that everything is subjective in the eyes of the reviewers. With more than 50 AFG apps a year, I've found a great deal of success. Many times I cannot understand when a similar app is not funded vs. one that is, but that is a part of the program.

I've NEVER done a direct copy/paste between applications and custom tailor each piece I work on. However, many times the story is the same, it's just in how you tell it. I have most certainly used the same deficiencies in multiple applications.

Even in a losing situation, I still support the decisions of the reviewers and believe that this is a well run program. It's like a jury, we have to accept their decision, no matter whether we agree.

Remember, OJ was innocent.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sly, don't disagree with what you say. Understand what you say. I just was expecting the DJ for another reason. Did anyone get a DJ with asking for the same equipment you got before as the reason?
    Guess it really doesn't matter, I just like to know so I don't repeat mistakes. Thanks!
    Last edited by BB3939; 08-07-2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Adding thanks
    BB

Forum Member

I think you most certainly recognized a few issues, such as repeat requests. Although this has been ok in the past and every so often a few slip through, the general rule is a handout one time.

All of the DJ verbiage appears to be the same under each section heading, simply providing helpful tips to ensure you cover the same topics next year in that section. I don't believe any denial letters have anything specific to an application, other than listing the areas of the narrative which were deficient.

These denials actually appear to be an improvement over the 2012 computer DJs which list various critical scoring indicators that failed to panel the application, many of which were listed as completely contradictory to the applications themselves.

Forum Member

Default Fire Prevention and Safety

So are the DJ's going out for all grant apps or just the FireACT applications. We are waiting on a FP&S grant so just curious.

Thanks fellas!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BJAdams40 View Post
    So are the DJ's going out for all grant apps or just the FireACT applications. We are waiting on a FP&S grant so just curious.

Thanks fellas!

Only AFG right now
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Default So if I didn't get DJ'd for a regional ap should I hope?

No 1199A ever showed up for it either.
    We were funded for our regular AFG ap.

Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post

On the second page of your letter, you will see a heading of

Paneled Activity(s)

Under that heading, there are up to four sections of discussed action items. For example, you may see:

Project Description and Budget (PPE)
    Cost Benefit (PPE)
    Financial Need (PPE)
    Statement of Effect (PPE)

The areas with poor scoring appear to be the ones listed. If one or more of those headings is not present, it appears that your application scored favorably within that narrative section. If it did not, specific examples of how to improve those areas are given.
    My letter shows all 4 categories despite the narrative exceeding what they are looking for... So, the letter really didn't help me at all. One of you gurus want to read my narrative and see if you can find what I was missing, why my score was not awardable? Really could use the breathing air compressor...

Forum Member

I can use a brain break from SAFER if you want to send something over, I will try to take a look. As I said before, it can be in the eyes of the reviewer at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by lemontfire1 View Post
    No 1199A ever showed up for it either.
    We were funded for our regular AFG ap.
    If you have no 1199A, you're most likely still not going to be funded. Not all of the denials were sent just yet, most likely to ease the servers.

MembersZone Subscriber

I still have not received a DJ on my vehicle grant or an 1199 update. What do you guys think?

MembersZone Subscriber

Honestly, doubtful, but keep your fingers crossed, you never know.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm in the same boat on a vehicle. No DJ, no 1199a, no nothing...

MembersZone Subscriber

Same thing here for us. Got the equipment grant months ago.

Forum Member

Pretty sure the fat lady is warming up her vocal cords.
    Less than 5 mil left in total funds to disburse.

Forum Member

Looks like the final round of DJs is dropping today for those who were right on the funding bubble. Verbiage is a bit more vague, presumably because they were close to funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Denial
    Your application scored within the competitive range to be selected for additional Peer Panel Review. However, after combining your applications pre-score and panel score, your cumulative score fell outside of the fundable range.

Forum Member

I also received a DJ letter this afternoon for a rescue tool grant that was out there in limbo. Still haven't heard anything on a apparatus grant though.

Thread Information