+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By bsw84
  • 1 Post By Engy51

Thread: Minneapolis Fire Dept 2013

Forum Member

Default Minneapolis Fire Dept 2013

Hello all,

I don't know if there is anyone on here that is involved with Minneapolis Fire Dept's latest hiring process, but since the new eligibility list is out, I figured I was post a new thread so people can talk about it. I just read the union is pushing for 40 new hires asap, as well as the Dept experiecing 40% retirements in the coming years. So, if anyone on here has any new credible information, by all means share it. It is a long process and I think it would be cool to hear how everyone is doing during it.

Forum Member

I had seen the 40 new hires number, and also that they were expecting a lot of retirements, but 40% is crazy! Where did you here that? I know it's a relatively old force and that with upcoming changes to retirement people might opt to get out, but 40%...wow. That would be great for everyone on the hiring list.

How many FF are on the force at the moment? The website says 386 but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that is old info.

It can be frustrating not knowing if/when the call will come, but making it the the hiring list is pretty dang exciting anyway!

Forum Member

Default On the list.

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm on the list but a whole lot further down than I had hoped.

I am thrilled to have made it this far and have the best of hopes that it will work out. I know the pension changes are going to influence people for sure. Also I had heard that staffing is way down from 08 levels. I suppose it all depends on who gets elected mayor and to the council.

Well, I will remain fit and hopeful.

Forum Member

I pulled this from the Minneapolis Firefighters Local 82 page, good info:

Mark Lakosky, President of Minneapolis Fire Fighters Local #82, AFL-CIO, citing the recently released 2012 Minneapolis Fire Department Annual Report, said Emergency Medical Services (EMS) response times and fire response times are the worst in recent history and the number of Firefighters is at its lowest in decades. Lakosky called on the City to address the dire need for more staffing for the Minneapolis Fire Department by adding 40 more Firefighters.

Lakosky said the 2012 Annual Report of the Minneapolis Fire Department, just released this month, shows that the Emergency Medical Service and fire response times are at all time highs in the last decade. According to the Local #82 President, there is a direct correlation between high response times and the low number of Firefighters on call.

“Only 81.2% of calls for Emergency Medical Services (EMS) in Minneapolis are responded to in less than 5 minutes and only 80% of fire calls are responded to in less than 5 minutes. The Fire Department wants us there in five minutes 90% of the time. The City of Minneapolis is not meeting its own standard to protect the public’s safety.”

“The Minneapolis Fire Department uses a 5 minutes response time standard for 90% of calls for fire and EMS services. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), the recognized authority on Fire and Building code safety, sets the national standards and requires a response in 4 minutes or less for 90% of all calls. The Minneapolis Fire Department is not even close to meeting the national standards” according to Lakosky.

“For the last three years, we have called on the City Council to address this problem. We have had many great supporters on the City Council including Meg Tuthill, Barb Johnson, Gary Schiff, Cam Gordon, Sandy Colvin-Roy, Diane Hofstede, Kevin Reich, and Elizabeth Glidden. Unfortunately, that has not been enough. No increase in sworn firefighters has been made. In fact, since we started this fight, we are down twenty Firefighters. Despite the promise of more Firefighters, nothing has changed. As of today, we have only 385 sworn Firefighters, the same as last year. We are at an all time high in calls for service. And we are at an all time low for Firefighters. Our response times are the worst in the city’s history. This is a public safety crisis!”

“Last year, there were 37,011 calls for EMS and fire services. That is a record high. That is 5,000 more calls than 2009 when we had 417 Firefighters. That is a 15% increase of calls since just 2009. And we have lost 32 sworn Firefighters in the same period. Our members are working 25% harder than just three years ago.”

“According to the official reports of the Fire Department, the average response time is up by 20 seconds from 2003. A decade ago, over 88% of all EMS and Fire rescue calls had a Firefighter on the scene in less than 5 minutes. Now they arrive in only about 80% of the time in less than 5 minutes. EMS calls have increased from 21,879 in 2003 to 24,668 in 2012, a 13% increase. In 2012 over 4,600 EMS calls in Minneapolis took more than 5 minutes for an Emergency responder to arrive at the scene. This is a critical failure which puts nearly 1 in 5 Minneapolitans who ask for service at a severe health risk when they need us the most.”

According to Lakosky, “67% of what we do as firefighters is EMS calls. Minneapolis’ population is growing and is more diverse. There are more disabled residents, more residents in condos and apartments, a bigger immigrant population and more home bound seniors who have special needs. We respond every day. But we simply can’t keep up with the workload.”

“These conditions are not only unsafe for the public; they are unsafe for our members. Last year, we lost 34,000 hours to members who were injured on duty. That’s the equivalent of twelve Firefighters. This is a huge work place safety issue.”

“Additionally, the City paid over $2,000,000 in overtime in 2012, plus another $300,000 in pension costs. Some City Council members claim to be fiscal hawks who look out for the public. They are not fiscal hawks, but they are being fiscally foolish.”

“While a majority of City Council members tried to help us in the past, a few council members, led by Betsy Hodges, the Ways and Means Chairperson, blocked increased staffing and refuses to even acknowledge the facts or do anything about it.”

Hodges recently told MPR, “Under Mayor Hodges [speaking about herself], the Fire Department is going to look remarkably like it looks now.” Lakosky said, “Hodges as Mayor would be a disaster. Hodges just doesn’t look at the facts. Just last week, Betsy Hodges was only candidate seeking labor endorsement for Mayor who refused to agree the city should adhere to NFPA standards for response times. Her attitude is “Let the public eat cake.” She really doesn’t care about the public’s safety and she certainly doesn’t care about Firefighters.”

“The last time we came close to the City’s five minute response standard was in 2008 when there were 426 Firefighters. We need Mayor Rybak and a majority of the City Council to add 40 firefighters to the budget to get the public the EMS response time they deserve. The City has an LGA windfall coming next year because of Governor Dayton and the DFL Legislature. In the past, Hodges said she had to cut Firefighters because of lost LGA. Well, now LGA has been restored. So should the Firefighters. Don’t let them tell you they have a long-term plan, they don’t. The Minneapolis Fire Department’s budget is set to grow at nearly the same rate as all other departments through 2018 according to the budget that Hodges helped adopt.”

Lakosky said adding the 40 new Firefighters would not cause a property tax increase. “These new Firefighters can be paid for by eliminating overtime (which would pay for 20 Firefighters) and giving the Minneapolis Fire Department back a small portion of the $12 Million LGA increase the City will receive next year.”

“Already this year through last weekend, we responded to over 22,000 calls for service. We receive more than 100 calls a day. We are on pace to exceed last year’s record for calls. We need help. The bottom line is that EMS calls for service are up over 12%. The number of firefighters is down 10% in the last ten years and quick response times followed. We can’t sustain this. It is a crisis.”

Forum Member

I spoke to someone in HR and was told there is currently an appeal to the civil service commission over the test. I am assuming that someone who tested is appealing something, so that is delaying. Stated they try to hire 15-20 per class, pending response rates and those who get through pysch screening/medical/alcohol and drug screening. So the waiting game continues.

Forum Member

Been a while since any chatter on this thread. I received a letter for the background check portion. Seems like it's a rather instant response for these depending on what is found I'm assuming. I wonder how long again until we hear anything further. Seems like the ball is rolling again.

Forum Member

What place were you on the list? I am In the 160s, anyone know how far they went down on the last list? This is a golden ticked but it seems like to much wishful thinking at 160!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsw84 View Post
    Been a while since any chatter on this thread. I received a letter for the background check portion. Seems like it's a rather instant response for these depending on what is found I'm assuming. I wonder how long again until we hear anything further. Seems like the ball is rolling again.
    Also curious where you were on the list, if you don't mind sharing.

Forum Member

I called a few weeks back and they said they had sent out 28 letters for the first round of hiring. I would assume bsw84 was in the top 28.

Forum Member

where do you find the list. when i finished the process this summer i recieved a letter saying my rank was 32 and i have heard nothing. Also who do i contact to find out info on who to contact to see where they are at with the process. i appreciate any info.

Forum Member

That is the list. The number is where you rank on it. If you are in the top number they are putting through a class you get the letter/call. I am number 206. I've talked to firefighters who have been through this process from the 2006 list and the list prior to that. It takes lots of patience. I know I will get my chance but it might be 5 years from now. They can extend the list and they have in the past. The average age and the early retirement options with pension changes, PERA and MSRS will quite possibly entice retirements. Then there is the possibility that there will be positive changes in firefighter staffing which will help. At this point the allotted positions are what we have and the only thing we are waiting on is retirments and resignations to allow us in. The higher one is on the list, the better but the word and belief is that this 'whole list' will be hired eventually.
    josh_swanson likes this.

Forum Member

ok thanks, i wasn't sure if there was a list you that was being referred to through the thred.
    Thanks you for the info.

Forum Member

Anyone know if MPLS disqualifies due to color deficiency (red/green color blindness) or what kind of testing they do? The packet doesn't say anything about it, just your corrected vision requirements. Wondering if any of the guys who have made it through could give some insight?

Forum Member

Well here's everything I know/have heard.

-My rank is in the 80's
    -Without naming who it is, an "insider" told me that they intend on doing back to back cadet academy's.
    -a close friend is in the first class which is starting March 30th
    -the insider told me that the top 100 are guaranteed to get called up.
    -a different insider told me that the cost to make an eligibility list is too high and it will be extended almost guaranteeing that all 275 will be hired.

Forum Member

how long is the academy?

Forum Member

I am number 32 and have not heard anything. do you know how many are in the first class?

Thread Information