Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By thc030
  • 1 Post By fallujahff

Thread: Recruiter Contacts & New Vacancies

Forum Member

Default Recruiter Contacts & New Vacancies

I have been thinking about becoming a Contract Firefighter for quite some time now, and my wife and I have decided to give it a try. I have been a paid municipal Firefighter for my entire career, in both Ohio and Tennessee, and I wish to experience other areas of the fire service. I have read multiple forums saying if you are on a municipal department to stay there, but I'm only 25 and want to give this a try before I'm too old. I have also never found it difficult to receive full-time employment with Fire Departments. I am not concerned with the possibility of my not liking the contract life, I can always get a job stateside again. I have all of my IFSAC/ProBoard level IIs and I am working on my IIIs. I have read a majority of the forums and have a good grasp on who has contracts where, but these are very dated. I am creating this thread for people to post the updated contact information for the contract recruiters. If you are a recruiter or have the information for a recruiter please post it on this forum. Also, if there are any new positions please post them on here as they open. My hope is this forum will not only help me get a contract, but that it continues and is continuously updated to help others as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Stay where you are

Mr Jthoroughman....
    You are pushing things to fast. You mention your whole career..well your 25, your career is just started, not winding up at the end. You are already considering your 3's...much to fast and not needed in your stage of the game.

You should be focusing on gaining necessary skills as a firefighter, and not trying to raise up the ladder to fast...it's to early in your career to be trying to take the upper officer level certifications. They will give you no gain without the experience behind them. You should be focusing more on expanding your basic knowledge. Get your driver operator, your ARFF, ARFF driver operator, mobile water and ladder. Hazmat Tech, and critical rescue certifications. These will qualify you in areas you can gain basic firefighter skills and make you more valuable to employers. consider getting your paramedic NREMT.

Contract firefighting is very different then normal municipality firefighting. Typically you are on a base, or a remote site. You are there because the contract requires fire support. And in most cases you will not fight fire. You will not gain experience as a fire fighter as a contract firefighter, more then likely you will forget some needed skills, since you will not be having the fires necessary to build or maintain your levels.

Contract firefighting requires skilled and experienced men to start. Your career is just starting, spend the next 15 years, get a pension, then retire early and go into contract firefighting. Then you will be more valuable to an employer.

Most contract positions are single status, no family, and unless they are in the war zone, the pay isn't much better then in the USA. The wars are coming to an end, and positions are few and far between for high paying jobs out here.

I know many guys who came out here for the pay and excitement, found themselves playing Xbox most of their time, or working out, nothing more accomplished. When they did get home, found it much harder then they thought to get a fire job back again. You may think its easy to get a job in this field.....it is not, if you were lucky enough to get one, hold on to it and use that time to get more time under your belt.

Spend your time building the career you have, contract fire fighting is just that, a contract for a year or 2 not a career. Don't throw away one you already have just to find out it isn't waiting for you when you return. ....
    KS-Fireman likes this.

Forum Member

I appreciate your advice, but this is not why I created this forum. All of the certifications you mentioned I should get, I have had for quite some time. With the exception of ARFF. I had been a D/O for 5 years and have been a company level supervisor for the past 2. I have had the privilege of serving on some of the best fire companies out there. Companies that run 2 - 4 structure fires a day, everyday. Not to mention a ton of EMS. I have multiple degrees in my field and I am currently pursuing another. I have always been full-time while working a couple of other part-time fire positions. I have also been a member of regional HAZMAT teams, USAR teams, and state rescue strike teams. I am not concerned about gaining experience, I have more than a lot of "old timers" out there. I push so hard to ensure that every year is another year of experience. I do not want to be like most people and have 1 year of experience 25 times. As for jobs, if you are desirable it is not difficult to gain employment. It is also important to ensure you stay up on interview skills, which I do. I apply to many jobs not intending to take them. I just go through the process to fine tune my interview and assessment center skills. I am generally offered 75% of those positions, which are all company officer or higher. I let them know I went through the process for training and I appreciate the offer but I have to decline. They let me know how amazing of an idea that is and if I am ever looking for real to apply again. I have even had a few call me afterwards when they have other openings to see if I am looking to move. So this is not something I am concerned about. This is something I have never done and want to do. I also wish to give industrial firefighting and marine firefighting a try. This is how you gain true experience, to experience new things.

Forum Member

Sorry but agree with most of THC's comments

Once you get arff start applying and see what happens

For the record never been contract, but spent many a peaceful night on military bases fd's
    Last edited by fire49; 08-17-2013 at 01:50 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well,

There are still contract jobs available but the lucrative ones are becoming harder and harder to get. As LOGCAP (Afghanistan) and the State Department Mission (Iraq) wind down, these contract companies have a lot of people applying so competition will be tough. If your ProBoard/IFSAC certs are already in the DoD system (Converted to DoD certifications) you have a much better chance of being picked up though it is not impossible if you are not in the system--just harder for the recruiters to notice you (it's easy to just verify certifications through the DoD website).

It does not matter how many years you have been a firefighter or what department you worked at--if the certs are not right and don't match the requirement of the contract or job, you will not be hired. The government is very strict on this account.

Even though we just had a small class go through and had some new hires, that's going to pretty much be it for us. Replacements will come only if Attrition exceeds boots currently on the ground. Don't give up hope, there are other contracts out there but most are not paying as well because they are not supporting combat troops and most are "unaccompanied" as THC alludes to.

I do have one thing to say that differs with what THC says though. While contract firefighting is not a "career" in the traditional sense, there are many of us that have gone from "contract" to "contract" through the years. I myself have been on contract (in one form or another) for the better part of almost 10 years now (minus a small break back home). You can get wrapped up in this for quite some time though as mentioned, it is not an easy job and definitely a "non-traditional career".

I look at it like being a pro baseball player. You get the best contract you can, go as long as you can go, "play" for the best team out there you can get but keep an eye on the "exit strategy" or retirement. There are educational and training opportunities available but it is all up to what you do and how much you work or put into it. I know some guys that have been on contract a year or less and some that have been contracting for more than 10 years. For some it has been lucrative, for some it is rewarding but it all depends on the person and what your personality is like.

I spent a couple of years working a stateside Airport job. It drove me crazy, I had to come back out on contract but I would not do it if the money is not right or it would affect my family negatively too much. Of course I am planning for when this mission ends but who knows--there are lots of contracts out there.
    jalli1978 likes this.
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

Forum Member

This is a good decision. Go for it.

Thread Information