Forum Member

Default Why and how many?

Take a look at this video I came across on youtube. Why would a dept have everyone go stand out front and wait for the truck to pull out of the bay to load up? Seems like a waist of time for the truck to sit and everyone stand around waiting for the driver to pull it out. Do a lot of depts. do that? I know with ours if your not on the truck when it pulls out you take the next rig unless they need manpower on the first due. What say you

Forum Member

Looks like they are waiting to see who shows up??

Maybe they have had some door removal problem? So they pull out first

Maybe they are not in a hurry on this call

Forum Member

Looks like a good way to..
    1. Have a slower response time
    2. Get someone run over with all the people running around
    3. Not be any safer since nobody's putting on seabelts

I also noticed no one put on their hoods, but they had their helmets on in the truck, which you shouldn't do. And having the windows down will make it hard to hear radio traffic, or for the officer to give orders on the way to the incident. I don't think I have ever seen this done by any dept. and I can't see any good reason to do it that way.

Forum Member

disclaimer - have not seen the video yet as YouTube is blocked.

Maybe they have a foot traffic problem and step out to keep people from walking in front of engine?

Do they have headsets in the cab? If so, windows up or down won't make a difference.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post

Maybe they have a foot traffic problem and step out to keep people from walking in front of engine?

Do they have headsets in the cab? If so, windows up or down won't make a difference.
    As far as foot traffic. The vid was shot at late night/early morning in what looks to be a fairly rural setting. And for the headsets I really couldn't tell but maybe they did

Forum Member

It appears they are not in a hurry

MembersZone Subscriber

No clue on that one. Maybe it helps them "inventory" who's riding, just in case someone needs to be left behind - they can pick who goes and who stays.

If everyone just piles into the rig, they may end up with less than the "A" team.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jvanorder View Post
    As far as foot traffic. The vid was shot at late night/early morning in what looks to be a fairly rural setting. And for the headsets I really couldn't tell but maybe they did
    Ok, watched the video....and I have been at that station!

Not foot traffic, but vehicle traffic. Short ramp (as seen by trouble turning ladder) leads them to go out and stop traffic.

Ya, there wasn't any then...but they do the procedure.

Can't comment on the "speed" of response....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

You can't wear a headset with a helmet on, and with the windows down, the wind is going to constantly key the mics.

Forum Member

works for them

Forum Member

Funny, no wind keying the mics today on our run and about a 15 mph wind when we were at a standstill. You must need a better intercom system.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Funny, no wind keying the mics today on our run and about a 15 mph wind when we were at a standstill. You must need a better intercom system.
    The only time I remember the mic keying with the windows open was when the siren activated it.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    The only time I remember the mic keying with the windows open was when the siren activated it.

Well maybe it's the fact that ours are Sutphen's, that's usually part of the problem...

We do have to unplug the ones that aren't in use or the vibration keeps them keyed.

Forum Member

Didn't seem like an inordinate amount of time to me as they got both trucks out in about 3 minutes.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Looked like they were definitely waiting for something. Either minimum number of personnel before turning out or a specific individual (officer maybe?) before turning out.

Nobody appeared to be out there for the purpose of controlling traffic (foot or vehicle).

If they couldn't leave until some specific requirement was meant there would not be much point in hurrying up as far as donning gear.

In the urban setting I work in, the first units would be pulling up in front of fire building at around the three minute mark. This is not a put down; just pointing out how the other half lives.
    Last edited by captnjak; 08-19-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Forum Member

I noticed a page with a series of beeps 3/4's of the way through the video, likely indicating that it was specific to their department.

It's entirely possible that they were getting set to respond but had actually not been paged .... Possibly heard over the air that they were being requested mutual aid or added to the response.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Ok, watched the video....and I have been at that station!

Not foot traffic, but vehicle traffic. Short ramp (as seen by trouble turning ladder) leads them to go out and stop traffic.

Ya, there wasn't any then...but they do the procedure.

Can't comment on the "speed" of response....

After watching the video again if the main reason is to stop traffic then why did the first engine pull out into the road, stop,wait for crew to load up then put in all the blinkies and head out. If I had the nose of the truck in the road with people walking around the front i would make sure to have the lights on. It looks like they could use some improvement on the way they do things and for all any f us know that could have been the purpose behind this vid.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jvanorder View Post
    After watching the video again if the main reason is to stop traffic then why did the first engine pull out into the road, stop,wait for crew to load up then put in all the blinkies and head out. If I had the nose of the truck in the road with people walking around the front i would make sure to have the lights on. It looks like they could use some improvement on the way they do things and for all any f us know that could have been the purpose behind this vid.
    I always put the lights on even before I go out the door. That way as soon as anyone sees the truck, they know we're taking a call. I don't want to confuse people so that they think we're just going out on an errand or something.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our previous station was not wide enough to allow us to don our gear safely while the engine was in station. We had to get the vehicles out onto the apron in order to get dressed without dinging the doors and/or bashing our elbows.
    Converting a carwash to a fire station was not a good idea. Just NOT big enough.

Mercifully, we are now in a station that we can move around in.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Thread Information