Forum Member

Default Arborist Tree guys

Since my start in rope rescue which is not so long ago as many of you might remember my first days of posting basic knot questions, I have discovered that the arborist community has a lot of tools on their belt (both technique and gear) that the fire service does not use. I think there can be a lot learned from our tree climbing friends, and many of their skills may prove useful in the rescue world.

I wonder, have you adopted any technique, or gear from the arborist community?

Forum Member

We don't use a lot of it, most aborists I know use a single rope technique, which over here is a big no-no.

Are you able to elaborate further?

Dave

Forum Member

^^ I agree with Dave, elaborate more.. I know in rope rescue you don't use there gear yet it is only rated for a 1 person load.

Super Moderator

I have worked with a few rope rescue technicians who also come with an Arborist background. They utilize our equipment when working in the fire rescue environment so equipment type and safety issues are covered. The big advantage they bring to the operation is their experience both on line and around it. Their experience and background provide them with exposure to many of the components of a rope rescue operation on a regular basis, while many rescuers may have only applied these functions in a training environment due to the low frequency of these incidents.
    Depth of knowledge in areas such as change of directions and selection of proper anchors, to name just a few are examples where they bring positives to the table.
    We are very lucky to have this level of talent to reach out to for additional information and skills. However, each person should be viewed individually, as not everyone thinks the same nor does everyone accept that there can be multiple ways of doing a skill such as rope rescue.
    We just have to remember both methods are ok as long as they are being properly applied in their own functional worlds.

Forum Member

While not related to arborist equipment or techniques, had a run a few years back where a guy was about 50 feet up in a tree when his saw kicked back and partially amputated his arm (bottom part attached to the top by an inch or so of skin.)

Thank god his buddies had brought him down prior to our arrival. They were about 1/4 mile into the woods and it would have been an interesting rescue to say the least.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

While not related to arborist equipment or techniques, had a run a few years back where a guy was about 50 feet up in a tree when his saw kicked back and partially amputated his arm (bottom part attached to the top by an inch or so of skin.)

Thank god his buddies had brought him down prior to our arrival. They were about 1/4 mile into the woods and it would have been an interesting rescue to say the least.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

The good ones have a valuable skill set. Throw lines and placing lines from the ground (friction savers) would come in handy for some responders. There are several reports each year of people falling out of deer stands onto their crappy lanyards. Also, you might just have to go rescue an experienced arborist someday and it would be helpful to have an understanding of their rigging practices. Most guys I know that tree climb use off the shelf climbing gear and 7/16 static. So the SSSF of their gear is typically plenty high.

Thread Information