Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 48/72 Schedule

Forum Member

Default 48/72 Schedule

Ok we are in the middle of discussing changing our 24/24 to the 48/72. There are a few pushing a slide show showing some of the pros and cons of this schedule. Some I like and some I donít care for at all. As a father first 24hrs away from the house is bad enough. But I wanted to see if anyone is doing this schedule and if so do you like it and why? Our call volume is very high here with 8 station and 3 more set to come on line in the next few years. Are you guys having to rotate station or are you staying put at your house? Iíve been in the fire service a long time and I as well as my family are unsure at this point about this schedule. The thought of maybe being put in a pod which will not have Sundays off is kind of scary. Then again I may be put in the pod which has every Sunday off. Just donít know. Any insight would be great, thanks in advance.

C

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firennc72 View Post
    The thought of maybe being put in a pod which will not have Sundays off is kind of scary. Then again I may be put in the pod which has every Sunday off. Just don’t know. Any insight would be great, thanks in advance.
    I haven't heard the term "pod" used before in regards to scheduling, but I have to assume it a version of a shift. I'm not sure how you'd never have a Sunday off (nor never work a Sunday). Based on my calculations, your Sundays would look something like this: W-O-O-W-O-W-O-O-W.

Perhaps I'm missing something?

We don't work 48's, although I'd love to do a 48/96. Do a search on the forums here, and you'll see that there's a lot of support for the 48's, especially on the west coast.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Just about the same one they are passing around now. only real difference is the list of places doing it. Only thing with that is are these places running 10k plus calls a year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I haven't heard the term "pod" used before in regards to scheduling, but I have to assume it a version of a shift. I'm not sure how you'd never have a Sunday off (nor never work a Sunday). Based on my calculations, your Sundays would look something like this: W-O-O-W-O-W-O-O-W.

Perhaps I'm missing something?

We don't work 48's, although I'd love to do a 48/96. Do a search on the forums here, and you'll see that there's a lot of support for the 48's, especially on the west coast.
    Call them pods, groups or whatever. there are to be 7 of them. I need to find the mail with all the groups broken down and see them again. I also need to get up with a few people that have been through here over the years and see what they are running and get their take on all this. Just hate the thought of getting stuck with something for a year before we can change it back. ww-ooo-ww-ooo is more the way it would look.

Forum Member

What base are you at with that call volume and adding stations?

Do you respond mutual aid or something for a city department
    Last edited by fire49; 08-18-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Call them pods, groups or whatever. there are to be 7 of them. I need to find the mail with all the groups broken down and see them again...ww-ooo-ww-ooo is more the way it would look.
    Doing some quick calculations, it would appear that if you went to a 5-platoon system, you'd have at least two platoons working each day. Otherwise, if you went less than that, you'd have some days with only one platoon, or no one scheduled to work at all.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Just about the same one they are passing around now. only real difference is the list of places doing it. Only thing with that is are these places running 10k plus calls a year.
    In your original post you mentioned you have 8 stations, with 3 more coming on line? 10k calls per year isn't that many for a dept that size. It's a lot by Federal FD standards, but not overwhelming.

There are plenty of places working 48's that are much busier.

Forum Member

You get two 3 days and a 2 day every pay period, so ww-ooo-ww-oo-ww-ooo in a 14 day period (with the 2 day varying in placement by individual schedule).

For those of you contributing that don't work for the Feds be aware they work a 72 hour week, not the more common 42-56 hour schedules. Some of you are referring to the popular 48/96 which isn't an option for the Feds 2 platoon system.

I used to work at a fed department with the 24 on 24 off, when we switched to the 48/72 I found it a very nice change. It has been a few years but do not recall any of the schedule having a day you always work. The particular group I was in worked one full weekend and had the other off, while others alternated sat or sun each week. Like I said it has been quite a few years so I could be wrong, but that is how I remember it working.

We ran between 500 and 1000 calls a year from a single station. Late night calls could make the second 24 drag on, but fatigue was rarely a serious issue, and with 48-72 off you could recover the first day, and still have time to do stuff. With the 24 on 24 off, I rarely was interested in doing much except on my 3 and 5 day, so despite longer blocks away from home, my time at home was far more involved after we made the switch.

Overtime rules could be a factor too. When we made the switch people going on their short 2 day were exempt from mandatory overtime unless it was absolutely unavoidable (multiple sick calls). Working longer than 72 was also to be avoided so no mandatory overtime after working a voluntary OT day unless there was no other option.

Another variable is your specific department, when I worked the 48/72 we had a very family friendly chief and I lived close to the base, so it was very easy for my family to come and visit after 5pm. When working holidays it was very common to have holiday meals with the working crews spouses and children in station. That definitely made the schedule more tolerable than it could be with a less family oriented department
    Last edited by Here and there; 08-21-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Thread Information