MembersZone Subscriber

Default SAFER Application Issue

Today I submitted my SAFER application. I'm glad that's over. Anyway, when I was reviewing the application before submittal I noticed that under Applicant Characteristics I, when I checked the boxes and answered the question "what services does your organization provide", none of the selections would show when reviewing. I unchecked and checked them again with the same result. I went ahead and submitted and they do not show. Is anyone aware of this?

By the way I was application 52. With 10 days to go that seems extremely low.

Forum Member

Another software glitch...if you check any previous AFG apps over the last few years those services don't show up. Same issue when FV apps this year didn't show a narrative after submission. It's all there somewhere, just lost in cyberspace.

FF #52 or FH #52?

MembersZone Subscriber

Figured as much. FH.

Forum Member

FF was only 32 the other day.

I noticed the services thing missing when we printed out some previous apps to use for the stats in the 2013s. The ones from last year that we did after AFG all have the services listed, so something in the past couple months nuked the code that reads from said table. Unless one of those low-bid contractors up there deleted the whole table. Details...

MembersZone Subscriber

I called the help desk today to inquire about the issue. Gave my login info so they could see it themselves. The information does not display but it is a required field and the page saved. If the page saved something has to be there. They were not aware of the issue. It may show up when it prints, but I will have to wait until the period closes to check.

Forum Member

You can still print each section individually and as of tonight, it's not showing up.

Forum Member

Code is missing to display it for print-only or review purposes, but if you're editing an application they show up. If they did it the usual way us nerds do it the code checks to see what the purpose of the page loading is, for edit or for display. So under the display purpose it's missing the part to write the values to the page. I have similar stuff on our client management system, made similar coding errors before myself. It's called "experience", the ability to recognize a mistake you made earlier before you make it again or when someone else does it.

Forum Member

SAFER (hiring new positions) #489 with about 19 hours left

Forum Member

It's zipping up there, up over 150 apps since lunchtime. R & R is just over 250.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey everyone, on this final day how about everyone posting your app number if you submitted TODAY, so we can get an idea of how many are going in this time. Also be sure to state if you are R&R or Hiring.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

FF-321 submitted 0804hrs

1 more to go

Forum Member

Just submitted my first SAFER @ 11:12 EST today. FH-00586

Forum Member

Red face

FF application # 393 at noon. Is this a lot lower than years past??

Forum Member

Perhaps slightly lower, but not too far off. I believe there are right around 2,000 apps started in the system, figure at least 10% never get finished.

Last year was just shy of 1,000 Hiring and 600 R & R.

MembersZone Subscriber

I recently was advised that a local department issued layoff notices to several firefighters simply so they could apply for a SAFER grant. There is no real intention to lay anyone off, and they will be budgeted for if a grant does not come through. Other than being more than slightly unethical, and a rather blatant attempt to supplant funding, is this illegal? They actually received official layoff notices from the state, which can be pulled back. They simply are looking for budget relief.

Forum Member

FH 769. Submitted 2:43 EST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wtfd2940 View Post
    I recently was advised that a local department issued layoff notices to several firefighters simply so they could apply for a SAFER grant. There is no real intention to lay anyone off, and they will be budgeted for if a grant does not come through. Other than being more than slightly unethical, and a rather blatant attempt to supplant funding, is this illegal? They actually received official layoff notices from the state, which can be pulled back. They simply are looking for budget relief.
    Unethical, yes. Illegal, yes. That would be fraud.

Forum Member

Default SAFER Grant App

FF-0600 submitted right at the deadline.

Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Final Numbers

Besides what's been written above...does anyone have any closing numbers for:

Recruitment/Retention This year closed/filed. And last year filed.

And

Hiring This year and last year?
    BB

MembersZone Subscriber

We closed with 3 seconds left..... too tight of a schedule this year. Were 603 for R&R.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JAM1096 View Post
    Unethical, yes. Illegal, yes. That would be fraud.
    In the application and program guidance it states that lay off dates must be within 90-days of the grant close out or 12-30-13. I highly doubt they will be issuing grants by then so the assumption is the ff will be laid off by the time grants start coming out. If you are contacted about a grant award but the employees haven't ben laid off like your application said you most likely wouldn't loose the grant, but may have to file additional paperwork since you are now retaining rather than re-hiring which could have changed your score in PR.

Similar but different issue a few years ago, applied to fill 9 positions that WER laid off, by the time the FD got the grant award an income tax increase had been passed and 6 of the 9 were already re-hired, grant award was for 9 based upon the application but once the new info was received by DHS they only awarded the remaining 3 positions.

MembersZone Subscriber

So when is SAFER peer review and what is the guess on when awards begin?

Forum Member

I believe Peer in next week, Sept 9-13th in Georgia

MembersZone Subscriber

Peer review is indeed next week, September 9-13. Already have my tickets in hand.

Thread Information