Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By FyredUp
  • 2 Post By MemphisE34a

Thread: NFPA Approved/Compliant Helmet Band

Forum Member

Default NFPA Approved/Compliant Helmet Band

Does anyone know of a NFPA approved/compliant helmet band? I've searched all over the web for the past several months, but have come up short.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Forum Member

Call the helmet maker

May have it come from them

http://www.anclotefire.com/proddetai...od=PHE-1500TL2

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Are you serious? It is a strap made out of an old truck or car inner tube. Who is raising the NFPA flag of doom on using this commonly used item?

If you are that worried about it don't do it, don't attach any flashlight or wedges to your helmet, or any stickers that didn't come from the manufacturer, or a helmet cam.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 08-21-2013 at 05:57 PM.
    RFDACM02 likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I agree, not saying NFPA is bad but sometimes people take the word of NFPA or more likely a sticker from NFPA like its the very word of god. It just gets out of hand at least to me anyways.

That being said if your are looking for a helmet band do not buy those streamlight bands they are garbage they will dry rot and crack in 6 months. I have two helmets one with a streamlight band that I have replaced two times. I will not be buying a 3rd. The other has a inner tube from an old tire that has been on there 6 years with no cracking or dry rot at all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcc8503 View Post
    Does anyone know of a NFPA approved/compliant helmet band? I've searched all over the web for the past several months, but have come up short.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    Please. Please...for the love of god, tell me this is a pathetic joke.......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

No Joke...only allowed NFPA approved items. I'll contact the helmet maker for more insight.

I miss my plain 'ol rubber helmet band. Sure was a nice spot to put some wedges & cherry bombers.

Forum Member

No Joke...only allowed NFPA approved items. I'll contact the helmet maker for more insight.

I miss my plain 'ol rubber helmet band. Sure was a nice spot to put some wedges & cherry bombers.
    Just plain ridiculous safety nazi nonsense. Someone is too worried about being sued to think straight.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Just plain ridiculous safety nazi nonsense. Someone is too worried about being sued to think straight.
    Sadly this is becoming the norm nowadays.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snarff View Post
    Sadly this is becoming the norm nowadays.
    Only where common sense has been completely wiped out by people that can quote chapter an verse from a book, but wouldn't know enough if the world ended to use those same pages to wipe their azz if their was no toilet paper left.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Only where common sense has been completely wiped out by people that can quote chapter an verse from a book, but wouldn't know enough if the world ended to use those same pages to wipe their azz if their was no toilet paper left.
    Coincidently, these are typically the same people that will **** on your leg and expect you to believe it's raining.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

On a side note, Firehouse moderators (if there is such a thing), taking the censorship a lil too far huh?

I can understand ****, ****, mother****er, cocksucker, ****, pussy, **** you, and the like, but ****? It's not a curse word, it is slang for urinate. So you've graduated from elementary school teacher to grammar nazi?

Edit - Hey......pussy is okay, but **** isn't. Wow.
    yjbrody and sbainphoto like this.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

And those items are NFPA compliant as well? I trust your department uses NFPA compliant water to avoid any potential danger should it contact the compliant bands.

Forum Member

That was a HELL of a side note Memphis.

I was always afraid of getting **** canned so I always added the asterisks. I did not know they did it for you.
    Last edited by conrad427; 08-22-2013 at 01:22 AM.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    That was a HELL of a side note Memphis.

I was always afraid of getting **** canned so I always added the asterisks. I did not know they did it for you.
    Isn't it ****in' convenient?

Forum Member

Let me show you how ridiculous this whole "Only NFPA approved items" nonsense is. Do any of your rigs carry a shovel? Where is the NFPA approved label for that? Do you carry a tool box with wrenches, sockets, pliers, screwdirvers, and hammers? Where is the NFPA approved label for that? Do you have traffic cones? Where is the NFPA approved label for them? I can go on and on...

It is absolute nonsense used as an excuse by people that have no other logical reason for not wanting you to do something. I am NOT at all saying that we should ignore the NFPA in many areas, such as in standards for PPE and SCBA, but not allowing an inner tube strap on a helmet because it is not NFPA approved seems ludicrous since thousands of firefighters do it all the time. I would love to hear of any injuries or deaths caused by this non-NFPA compliant piece of inner tube.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

There are times where NFPA stands for Not For Practical Application.....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    There are times where NFPA stands for Not For Practical Application.....
    I don't disagree on that Chief, look at the HUGE rice increases on SCBA and apparatus due to added NFPA requirements.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Most importantly, does your department follow the NFPA recommendations for staffing? I doubt they do. Brass loves to pick and choose which standards to follow...when it is convenient and helps them get their way.

Forum Member

I don't disagree on that Chief, look at the HUGE rice increases on SCBA and apparatus due to added NFPA requirements.
    On the apparatus side, much of that we have brought on ourselves.

Members riding unbuckled. Speed. Intersection management. Not following procedures.

On the SCBA side, would you feel comfortable using an old Scott 2A today given the options that the new packs provide? Again, integrated PASS, heads up display and most of the other safety features do play a role in saving firefighter lives.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    On the apparatus side, much of that we have brought on ourselves.

Man, how I do love schooling you. Closed cabs are nothing new, Detroit, to name one, had them back in the 1930's. So they were far ahead of the NFPA with the advent of closed cabs. Tell me how we as firefighters have brought the miriad of standards on ourselves related to fire apparatus...Because there are far more than just involving the cab design.

Members riding unbuckled. Speed. Intersection management. Not following procedures.

So tell me which one of those issues is addressed by having a fully enclosed cab? Because other than the risk of being thrown from the vehicle in a canopy cab if you aren't buckled, there is little difference in not being buckled in the back of an enclosed cab.

Other than the arbitrary speed limits on tankers what has the NFPA done about this? How about addressing the nonsensical need to run tenders red lights and sirens when we have tenders sitting waiting to dump? How about the insanity of running ALL rigs red lights and sirens to an alarm call? Send them as usual but only have the closest rig respond hot. How about NATIONAL MANDATORY TRAINING for apparatus operators?

All of the departments I am on train drivers to stop at red lights or stop signs before proceeding and to enter other intersections with your foot covering the brake pedal. We will NOT stop at green lights no matter how much you advocate that, it does nothing but confuse other drivers. What stance has the NFPA taken on this?

Procedures is a local issue.

On the SCBA side, would you feel comfortable using an old Scott 2A today given the options that the new packs provide? Again, integrated PASS, heads up display and most of the other safety features do play a role in saving firefighter lives.

Define comfortable...If it was a properly maintained, fully functional Scott IIa, then sure I would use it with confidence if that was what was available. The new packs do have many improvements, integrated pass, HUD, and many more. They are also lighter and more comfortable to wear. But technology brings issues the old IIa never had, such as batteries, wiring, or wireless interfaces, and they all can bring problems. Funny thing is with all the technology and advances you praise in SCBA everyone that I am aware of will function when all the technology takes a crap. So essentially you would have a modern Scott IIa
    Safety is a local issue and only becomes mandated when weak leadership doesn't enforce their agencies own rules.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Man, how I do love schooling you. Closed cabs are nothing new, Detroit, to name one, had them back in the 1930's. So they were far ahead of the NFPA with the advent of closed cabs. Tell me how we as firefighters have brought the miriad of standards on ourselves related to fire apparatus...Because there are far more than just involving the cab design.

But they were not widely used until it was mandated. They were far more widely used in Europe light years before they were mandated in the US.

So tell me which one of those issues is addressed by having a fully enclosed cab? Because other than the risk of being thrown from the vehicle in a canopy cab if you aren't buckled, there is little difference in not being buckled in the back of an enclosed cab.

I was referring to seat belt sensors, speed limiters and transmission lock out devices. And yes, all of that has been brought on by drivers driving too fast and members not buckling up.

Do I like the fact that a $5 computer chip can render a $1.1M aerial into a paperweight? No, but we have brought it on ourselves.

Other than the arbitrary speed limits on tankers what has the NFPA done about this? How about addressing the nonsensical need to run tenders red lights and sirens when we have tenders sitting waiting to dump? How about the insanity of running ALL rigs red lights and sirens to an alarm call? Send them as usual but only have the closest rig respond hot. How about NATIONAL MANDATORY TRAINING for apparatus operators?

We agree on running tankers lights and sirens. I fully agree on running the majority of fire apparatus to alarms cold. I advocate for wires down, transformer fires and other such calls to be handled cold by all responding apparatus.

And I agree that apparatus operators should be trained, though not through a national standard.

All of the departments I am on train drivers to stop at red lights or stop signs before proceeding and to enter other intersections with your foot covering the brake pedal. We will NOT stop at green lights no matter how much you advocate that, it does nothing but confuse other drivers. What stance has the NFPA taken on this?

Again, we agree on everything except the red lights. NFPA does state that all drivers should have Driver/Operator.

Agreed but we have seen countless incidents where procedures were ignored and LODDs have resulted.

Procedures need to be enforced through dismissals, suspensions and other significant punishments rather than being ignored, as they are in many places, or slaps on the wrist.

Define comfortable...If it was a properly maintained, fully functional Scott IIa, then sure I would use it with confidence if that was what was available. The new packs do have many improvements, integrated pass, HUD, and many more. They are also lighter and more comfortable to wear. But technology brings issues the old IIa never had, such as batteries, wiring, or wireless interfaces, and they all can bring problems. Funny thing is with all the technology and advances you praise in SCBA everyone that I am aware of will function when all the technology takes a crap. So essentially you would have a modern Scott IIa.

But you agree that the newer packs are safer?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

But they were not widely used until it was mandated. They were far more widely used in Europe light years before they were mandated in the US.

Not the point at all. The fact is MANY FDs have led the way on safety items, closed cabs of apparatus being one, long before any regulatory agency ever even noticed the problem.

I was referring to seat belt sensors, speed limiters and transmission lock out devices. And yes, all of that has been brought on by drivers driving too fast and members not buckling up.

Do I like the fact that a $5 computer chip can render a $1.1M aerial into a paperweight? No, but we have brought it on ourselves.

Yeah it makes complete sense that fire apparatus has gotten so technical, electrical and computer operated that they can be rendered completely useless due to a sensor error or malfunction. I remember when pressure governors first hit the market and were failing turning $350K (Prices then) engines into taxi cabs because they wouldn't throttle up. Which brought about some FDs have redundant vernier throttles installed to offer at least basic pump operations if a failure occurred.

We agree on running tankers lights and sirens. I fully agree on running the majority of fire apparatus to alarms cold. I advocate for wires down, transformer fires and other such calls to be handled cold by all responding apparatus.

And I agree that apparatus operators should be trained, though not through a national standard.

Why NOT a national standard? What is different about driving and pumping in Bossier Parrish than anywhere else? If there are differences then you teach them that locally after they pass the class.

Again, we agree on everything except the red lights. NFPA does state that all drivers should have Driver/Operator.

You don't stop at red lights?

Agreed but we have seen countless incidents where procedures were ignored and LODDs have resulted.

Then the local leadership is weak and failed to discipline people who violate local procedures. It is THAT simple.

Procedures need to be enforced through dismissals, suspensions and other significant punishments rather than being ignored, as they are in many places, or slaps on the wrist.

We agree.

Define comfortable...If it was a properly maintained, fully functional Scott IIa, then sure I would use it with confidence if that was what was available. The new packs do have many improvements, integrated pass, HUD, and many more. They are also lighter and more comfortable to wear. But technology brings issues the old IIa never had, such as batteries, wiring, or wireless interfaces, and they all can bring problems. Funny thing is with all the technology and advances you praise in SCBA everyone that I am aware of will function when all the technology takes a crap. So essentially you would have a modern Scott IIa.

But you agree that the newer packs are safer?

In what way? They flow better and they make it virtually impossible to ignore you are running out of air. But the basic working of an air pack is the same as ever, get breathable, safe, air to the face piece.
    We agree on some things, but like usual not all.
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information