Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Phoenix Fire Department Recruitment 2013

Forum Member

City Personnel told us the same thing. If I was to guess, I don't think it'll be 6 weeks. I would guess that it would be closer to 3-4 weeks. First round interviews are guessed to be around early fall(probably end of October) and second rounds following. Phoenix does a pre-academy and try to do it 6-8 weeks before the academy starts. The next academy is scheduled for February 17th.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phxfire1181 View Post
    City Personnel told us the same thing. If I was to guess, I don't think it'll be 6 weeks. I would guess that it would be closer to 3-4 weeks. First round interviews are guessed to be around early fall(probably end of October) and second rounds following. Phoenix does a pre-academy and try to do it 6-8 weeks before the academy starts. The next academy is scheduled for February 17th.
    Hey man, thanks for all your help giving us info. Im pretty excited, I feel I did very well on the test. I really hope interviews arent scheduled when im testing for SDFD Oct 17. But with my luck it will be.
    phxfire1181 likes this.

Forum Member

Will everyone that passed the TBD score be getting a interview?

Forum Member

TBD score? Is that the passing score they were talking about once they review results?

Forum Member

From what I heard about the 2008 test they picked 85% and higher for interviews the first time they hired off the list.

Forum Member

The "TBD" score that they're referring to is based off of however many people they determine to interview. For example, say the highest score after all is said and done is a 95 and they decide to interview 300 people. They'll see how far from the top of the list they have to go down to do so. Because we're only hiring 7(as of right now), they may not and most likely won't interview 300 like they have in the past when they were trying to fill an academy of 40 plus recruits. They may only interview the top 100. No one knows yet unfortunately. The first group off the last test were scores 94(highest score) to 84. 11-1 was a good size class though because of grant money the department received.

This may be a 3 year list though and there's a lot of foreseeable hiring in the next couple years because of retirements. AZGUY, good luck with SDFD. We actually just had guys from there at our Training Academy last week. I guess they're losing a lot of guys who are testing elsewhere because they lost their pension and all the new guys won't have one, compared to those who have been on long enough. If that's the case, there may be some openings there and something to talk about as job knowledge and knowing what you're coming into.

Forum Member

It was actually me testing for SDFD. The starting pay is horrible and you're right about the pensions. But I was born and raised there so it would be nice to come home.

Forum Member

In August I heard through the National Testing Network, while taking my CPAT, that Glendale, AZ was going to be hiring this year. Since then I haven't heard or seen anything anywhere. Does anyone have an idea if this was bogus, or if they are going to open up for applications some time soon?

Forum Member

Test results are in. Anyone else pass the test? I wonder what the top score was? I'm glad I passed but should of done better. God speed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dctalk523 View Post
    Test results are in. Anyone else pass the test? I wonder what the top score was? I'm glad I passed but should of done better. God speed.
    I passed, but im pretty disappointed in my score as well. I thought I did A LOT better. 78, Im not too optimistic this will be good enough to get an interview

Forum Member

What were yall's scores?

Forum Member

Scored an overall of 84. I checked with the HR department because I did the test review and was certain I scored a 90+. Turns out that they adjust your grade after the test to compensate for the disabled and veteran points that are given so that no one scores over 100. My score on the test was 91 out of 100, but after they standardized it (adjusted for the disabled and veteran points) I scored an 84. Just thought I would share this information. FourYearJohn, if you are not disabled or a veteran you probably scored more like an 85/100. Can't worry about it now though. Just practice your interviews and keep your fingers crossed you get a call.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AZfireprospect View Post
    Scored an overall of 84. I checked with the HR department because I did the test review and was certain I scored a 90+. Turns out that they adjust your grade after the test to compensate for the disabled and veteran points that are given so that no one scores over 100. My score on the test was 91 out of 100, but after they standardized it (adjusted for the disabled and veteran points) I scored an 84. Just thought I would share this information. FourYearJohn, if you are not disabled or a veteran you probably scored more like an 85/100. Can't worry about it now though. Just practice your interviews and keep your fingers crossed you get a call.
    Damn, that makes me feel a little bit better then if they already compensated for points. I don't have any veteran points though. Heres to hoping!

Forum Member

No doubt. I was very unhappy with my score because I told my family and people that I knew that I scored over a 90 and then in big bold print I read 84. I was so upset with myself. I was just happy to find out that I wasn't lying to my family and friends.

Forum Member

The scores are always curved. The scores were curved by 8 points, so you actually got a 92. The scores aren't curved just because of veterans and those with a disability. No one knows exactly what the highest score is yet, but I did hear of someone scoring a 96. I'd be willing to bet that's probably the highest score, unless someone who received 5 preference points got a 100 percent. That would only put them at a 97 though.

There's a big change though with interviews this time around. In the past, if you interviewed and didn't get hired, you were done and had to re-test. People this time that get 2nd round interview that do really well but don't quite make it will be recycled and put on a list to possibly get a 2nd interview again the next time we hire. So, you would end up with 3 interviews after all is said and done. That's a good thing for those that get interviews here soon, because we're only hiring 7(maybe a few more). The department doesn't want to miss out top candidates who scored well. It's tough for those who scored in the mid to low 80's, because it may take them longer to get down the list of scores. Especially with the scarce hiring the department may face.
    Last edited by phxfire1181; 10-10-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Forum Member

Thank you phxfire1181 for explaining the break down/ scoring of the written exam. I scored a 79 on the written exam. Doesn't grading on a curve hurt those that did well on the exam? I hope I get a chance to interview w/ PFD in the near future. God speed.

Forum Member

So is there any other way other than disabilities, being a veteran, having a prior interview, or having your family bump your score for you to get preference points? I know that having a bachelor's degree did nothing for me as far as that goes. I'm just wondering if there is anything in your control to getting on the same score level as a chief's son. Because even if I would have scored 100/100 I would have scored a 92. I guess I'm just looking for a way to level the playing field next time I test.

Forum Member

Regarding that last comment, I know it sounds like I am complaining, but that is not my intentions what so ever. PFD has a great reputation and all the members I have met have been extremely helpful. I recognize that there is a reason for everything that the department does, but I would just like to know if there is a way to use this system to my advantage.

Forum Member

When you say the Chiefs son scored a 96...is that WITHOUT the 8 pt curve. So he actually scored an 88? Or is that a 96 with the 8pt curve.
    Last edited by FourYearJohn; 10-10-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Forum Member

@AZfireprospect, just b/c you score high on a written exam doesn't mean jack. Kudos to the Chiefs son for scoring a 96. Also, you can have all the certs and degrees in the world. Looks great on paper but thats it. It all comes down to the interview. How long have you been testing? Only in Arizona? God speed.

Thread Information