Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Phoenix Fire Department Recruitment 2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    Let me understand this:

They are currently retaining 6 red shirts, waiting for an academy.

They incur the cost of a test, have thousands of people apply, test, rack and stack, and judge.. just to hire one person off of that list?

Is it even worth it to have an academy with that few people? How can they justify the expense of overtime, training, and misc. costs associated with an academy for just that small amount. Seems like a waste of time, and money. Is this list going to last a few years? Or will they test again when they need 7 more people?
    My sentiments exactly, at first I didn't understand administering an exam for 4,000 people just to hire basically 1 person. But from what I've gathered the next academy will be off this list as well since theyre expecting retirements in 2 years.

Just speculation, who knows.

Forum Member

Does anyone get the feeling that the$ 95,000 the PFD got fined for the death of their FF going to delay this process?
    Last edited by FourYearJohn; 10-29-2013 at 11:09 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FourYearJohn View Post
    Does anyone get the feeling that the$ 95,000 the PFD got fined for the death of their FF going to delay this process?
    The academy is now scheduled for March. The department is waiting on the city to hopefully approve a larger academy, which is causing the delay. Once this is approved or denied, notifications will be sent out for interviews.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phx123 View Post
    The academy is now scheduled for March. The department is waiting on the city to hopefully approve a larger academy, which is causing the delay. Once this is approved or denied, notifications will be sent out for interviews.
    Excellent news, thanks!

Forum Member

As for the exam, they had to administer an exam because the previous list was expiring and the city has to the always have a list to hire from. The previous list was just about completely exhausted and the department didn't want to go any lower on the test scores. For example, the last interviews they had, because of how long the list was going for, there were 80 no shows to the first round interviews. The department was approved for a rescue, which opened up 7 positions. If that's all the funding they were approved for, they have to put them through or they'll lose that rescue and the positions it opens up. There are other cities that will join in and each city pays a specific cost for each of their recruits. Technically other cities and their recruits can definitely help offset the costs for the city and their own recruits. The city is waiting on approval through grant money to get 12 more additional positions for this academy, which has delayed the interview process and academy by a few weeks. There's no exact word yet but it sounds like they may be going down to 85 or 86 for interviews. That's not for sure though. The $95k fine isn't causing any setback. With Phoenix's budget, that's not much of a hit for a department that serves the 6th largest city in the country. Be prepared and ready for your interview, because any day now letters may go out. Good luck!
    AZfireprospect likes this.

Forum Member

Invite letters are out for interviews, they are the week of Jan 6th.

Forum Member

@phx123, Thank you for the update(s). Do you know which scores are being used for the first round interview? Any word on when the second round interview will happen? Again, thank you.

Forum Member

Academy class 14-1 was pushed back to a start date of April 1st. It looks as though we'll be hiring for 19 spots now. First round interviews have been sent out by email and are scheduled for the week of January 6th-10th. The second round interviews will be shortly after and are scheduled for January 27th-30th. These 2nd round interview invites will also be sent out by email. I haven't heard the exact score we went down to, but the lowest score I have heard so far is an 87. Best of luck to everyone! It's an amazing department to work!

Forum Member

@phxfire1181, Thank you for the update. Any word on when future interviews will happen? Thanks.

Forum Member

Anyone know how long this list is going to be good for? 1 year? 2? I've heard up to three years.

Forum Member

I've heard 2 years. Looks like the city is going through budget issues. Short $40 million. God speed.

Thread Information