Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Phoenix Fire Department Recruitment 2013

Forum Member

Default Phoenix Fire Department Recruitment 2013

We are pleased to announce that we will be conducting a Firefighter Recruit testing process this year. The 2013 testing process will begin with a recruitment period of August 26-30, 2013. **Applications will ONLY be available during this five (5) day period. Applications will ONLY be accessible on-line through the City of Phoenix Human Resources Website.

The written portion of the testing process is tentatively scheduled for late September, 2013; you will be notified by e-mail with an invitation to the exam.

Candidates who pass the written exam, will be placed on a Phoenix Fire Department Firefighter Recruit eligibility list. For more information on the hiring process click here.

**Applications or related materials will not be made available prior to the Recruitment period so please do not contact City of Phoenix HR Services or the Phoenix Fire Department.

If you have any questions or future address changes, please use the following e-mail address: recruitment.pfd@phoenix.gov

Please check this site for information and updates when recruitment occurs.

GOOD LUCK GUYS/GALS!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Assuming EMT-B before academy?

Forum Member

Every Phoenix Firefighter is required to obtain and maintain Arizona State Emergency Medical Technician Certification. Proof of Valid certification as an Arizona State Emergency Medical Technician is required at the scheduled date of your final selection interview with the Phoenix Fire Department.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thedig423 View Post
    Every Phoenix Firefighter is required to obtain and maintain Arizona State Emergency Medical Technician Certification. Proof of Valid certification as an Arizona State Emergency Medical Technician is required at the scheduled date of your final selection interview with the Phoenix Fire Department.
    I figured bro, only reason I ask is that PHXFD only started this practice a couple of years ago and on the second most recent Tuscon test they didn't require the cert prior. I know out west few departments do train you from the ground up and the ones that do are so selective with it, it might not even be worth a try.

Forum Member

Yeah, if you don't already have your cert its definitely short notice, but I guess that it really depends on when they plan to start their interview process. But if you really want it there're some excelerated EMT-B programs around

Forum Member

You don't have to have your state certification to take the test. If you score high though and land an interview, then land a second interview, you'll need it at that time along with your CPAT. If you don't land an interview(which 1st rounds are projected to be early fall), then you have plenty of time to get your EMT out of the way before they interview again for another academy. You'll definitely need to score high though to land an interview this time around. We're not hiring very many this time around, so study hard and score the best you can. Good luck!

Forum Member

Is the eChris site not letting anyone else upload a resume?

edit: Nowhere in the eChris site could I find a page to upload my resume, or add past experience as in work and job info. Am I the only one?
    Last edited by FourYearJohn; 08-26-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Forum Member

Does anyone have any information on this department? I filled out my application for the department, I am just wondering if anyone has any insight into this process. I have my Paramedic as well as experience on a paid fire department as well as experience as a 911 paramedic. How many are they hiring, do they give preference to Paramedics. I know there are a lot of people expected to test, so I am just wondering if it's worth me flying down there to test. I noticed that they said after your year of probationary period you are assigned to a Medic Unit for 200 shifts then you get reassigned to a suppression unit, is that the same for Paramedics? Good luck to everyone in the process!

Forum Member

This is always a large process for Arizona. As far as I know in any city department having your Medic helps you out. Last time they tested there were 5800 applicants testing for 35ish spots. I've heard they are hiring 10-12 right now but expect more hiring in the next two years.

Phoenix always starts their Probationary FF's on the rescue. I'm pretty sure it's the same for EMTs and Medics in regards to how many shifts you work.

Forum Member

i think they ran 3 or 4 academies. i got called i think for the 3rd and i think they ran one more after that. i think medic still have to do the 200 shifts on rescue after that, i heard, you rover until you get assigned. i talked to a rovering captain and he said they were guys rovering for 2-4 years for several reasons.

Forum Member

Phoenix is hiring 7 as of right now and it looks like that's going to be the final number. Something may change, but it's very unlikely at this post due to a tight budget with the City. They fought just to get this test approved. Phoenix was approved for a rescue to be brought into service full time and each rescue allows for 7 new hires. Of those 7 spots, only 1 is for this upcoming academy. The other 6 spots are Redshirt spots. Redshirts work for the department and the position is pretty much an apprenticeship. There was just under 4,000 people who applied for this test and there's a good chance this list could last for a few years. After this next academy, there's not another academy foreseen for next year. The big reason the department had as many academies as they did this past testing process was mainly due to the SAFER grant money they received. 2015 is supposed to be a big year for public safety in Phoenix because of so many retirements taking place. As for medics, it's definitely good for your interview. I don't really believe there's a preference though. Phoenix doesn't hire a certain amount of medics and EMT's. You can't even use your medic until a year on the job anyways. That's also after you go through the testing and process to use it. As for working on a rescue AFTER 9 months of probation, the 200 rescues are mandatory for everyone, even medics. Also, a majority of firefighters on the job do rove each shift. Guys pick up temp spots here and there, while some guys land spots on trucks or rescues. Over 1500 firefighters for just over 50 stations.
    Last edited by phxfire1181; 09-05-2013 at 03:46 AM.
    enginetercera likes this.

Forum Member

Is the study guide for the exam the Firefighter Recruit Study Guide Packet that is listed on the website? If so, we're to assume we are being tested on the vocabulary and structure of PFD?

Forum Member

That's correct. The study guide they had available for those 5 days is what you need to study. Anything is fair game in there.

Forum Member

Looks like only 2000 got invited to test. Ill be there, goodluck yall.

Forum Member

Actually just under 4,000 were invited to test. There's 2 sessions of 1500-2000 people testing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by legos.8ty7 View Post
    i think they ran 3 or 4 academies. i got called i think for the 3rd and i think they ran one more after that. i think medic still have to do the 200 shifts on rescue after that, i heard, you rover until you get assigned. i talked to a rovering captain and he said they were guys rovering for 2-4 years for several reasons.
    This is an odd post. Did you actually get hired?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    This is an odd post. Did you actually get hired?
    what is odd? maybe "i got called", which wasnt clear, meant called to interview.

i didnt not get hired with phoenix. what about you?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by legos.8ty7 View Post
    what is odd? maybe "i got called", which wasnt clear, meant called to interview.

i didnt not get hired with phoenix. what about you?

No, good god no. I'm pretty happy where i'm at.

Your post seemed like you were saying you got hired, seemed a little shady

Kinda crappy about only hiring one. Last I talked to my old man, he thought they were hiring around 40. Guess that changed pretty quickly.

Forum Member

Yeah, there's no way we're hiring 40. Phx barely got approved for the test and 7 spots, let alone 40. By 2015 though, Phx is supposed to have a large hiring again. They have to, there's so many guys retiring on top of those who have already left.

Even though it's only 1 for the academy, the 6 Redshirt spots have a guaranteed spot in the following academy with knowledge of the department, seniority going in and the opportunity to create a strong reputation for when you get out in the field. Best of all, you also never have to test or interview again!

Forum Member

That was a great test. I drove from Tucson up to Phoenix, first time I've been to the city and it's really nice.

That being said,

I know at the test they said 4-6 weeks for scores, but can any past test takers or any current PFD members give some insight to how long getting the scores usually takes? Or is it honestly going to take 4-6 weeks?

Forum Member

City Personnel told us the same thing. If I was to guess, I don't think it'll be 6 weeks. I would guess that it would be closer to 3-4 weeks. First round interviews are guessed to be around early fall(probably end of October) and second rounds following. Phoenix does a pre-academy and try to do it 6-8 weeks before the academy starts. The next academy is scheduled for February 17th.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phxfire1181 View Post
    City Personnel told us the same thing. If I was to guess, I don't think it'll be 6 weeks. I would guess that it would be closer to 3-4 weeks. First round interviews are guessed to be around early fall(probably end of October) and second rounds following. Phoenix does a pre-academy and try to do it 6-8 weeks before the academy starts. The next academy is scheduled for February 17th.
    Hey man, thanks for all your help giving us info. Im pretty excited, I feel I did very well on the test. I really hope interviews arent scheduled when im testing for SDFD Oct 17. But with my luck it will be.
    phxfire1181 likes this.

Forum Member

Will everyone that passed the TBD score be getting a interview?

Forum Member

TBD score? Is that the passing score they were talking about once they review results?

Forum Member

From what I heard about the 2008 test they picked 85% and higher for interviews the first time they hired off the list.

Thread Information