Roanoke County, Virginia
THIS FIREFIGHTER/EMT HIRING PROCESS IS FOR A SCHEDULED FEBRUARY 2014 RECRUIT SCHOOL
48-53 hours, various shifts
Perform responsible operational duties. Responsible for a variety of tasks, some of which are performed under emergency conditions and may involve considerable personal hazard. Engages directly in fire fighting; rescue and fire prevention activities; drives and operates fire and rescue equipment; performs maintenance of building and grounds; tests and repairs emergency apparatus and equipment in preparation for emergency calls; and performs basic life support care. Performs other duties as assigned.
This advertisement is to seek candidates to participate in the selection process for a planned February 2014 recruitment school.
Additional information is available on the Fire & Rescue internet page:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Works at fire station and responds to calls for fire equipment.
• Engages directly in fire suppression activities and non-fire related emergencies.
• Performs rescue work for life and property protection.
• Applies emergency care and treatment to injured persons.
• Drives and operates ambulance as well as providing emergency care
• Maintains and repairs fire and rescue apparatus and equipment; tests and inspects equipment.
• Drives and operates fire and rescue apparatus.
• Make periodic inspections of buildings for fire hazards.
• Keeps records and makes reports.
• Keeps abreast of current techniques by participating in training and instruction programs.
• May act as Station Officer in his or her absence, after a minimum of two years with Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department.
NON ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Aids in cleaning station house.
• Presents fire prevention and emergency medical safety to general public.
Education Required: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience Preferred: Training in fire and emergency medical.
Required: Must possess a valid Virginia driver’s license, have a good driving record not to exceed negative one (-1) demerit points, and comply with state regulations covering drivers of emergency vehicles (includes successful completion of a provided Emergency Vehicle Operators Course). Must possess or become certified in accordance with National Fire Protection Association Standard 1001 for Firefighter Level II and Virginia Department of Health Emergency Medical Technician at completion of provided recruit academy. Must maintain all required licenses/ certifications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• General knowledge of methods and techniques involved in fire fighting.
• Knowledge of the street and road system and the physical layout of the County.
• Ability to work well with other employees; follow oral and written instructions promptly and effectively; quickly become familiar with modern fire fighting methods and procedures; become proficient at operating emergency apparatus and equipment; keep abreast of current developments by participating in continuing training and instruction programs; keep routine records and prepare reports; and to have an aptitude for mechanical work.
Additional Requirements Must be twenty (20) years of age; successfully complete a physical agility test; and be in excellent physical condition and maintain good physical fitness standards. Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
OVERALL PHYSICAL STRENGTH DEMAND
HEAVY Lift and/or exert force of 50-100 lbs. occasionally, 25-50 lbs. frequently, or up to 10-20 lbs. constantly.
C = Continuously
5.5 to 8+ hours daily F = Frequently
2.5 to 5.5 hours daily O = Occasionally
Up to 2.5 hours daily R = Rarely
Less than 1 hour per week N = Never
Code Physical Demand Code Physical Demand
F Standing F Sitting
F Walking O Lifting
O Carrying O Pushing/Pulling
F Reaching O Handling
F Fine Dexterity O Kneeling
F Crouching O Crawling
F Bending O Twisting
O Climbing O Balancing
C Vision (Correction Required: 20/40) C Hearing
C Talking F Foot Controls (driving, operation of equip, etc.)
D = Daily W = Several Times Per Week M = Several Times Per Month S = Seasonally R - Rarely N = Never
Code Health and Safety Code Environmental Factors
D Mechanical Hazards D Dirt and Dust
D Chemical Hazards D Extreme Temperatures
D Electrical Hazards D Noise and Vibration
D Fire Hazards D Fumes and Odors
D Explosives D Wetness/Humidity
D Communicable Diseases D Darkness or Poor Lighting
D Physical Danger or Abuse
PRIMARY WORK LOCATION
Station and various depending on emergency situation
MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, WORK AIDS
Fire equipment of various designs to include manual tools, power tools, water appliances, gas powered tools. Fire apparatus and various other emergency vehicles. General cleaning materials and maintenance equipment for the upkeep of equipment listed above. Various medical equipment typically found in an ambulance to include cardiac defibrillator, various medications and administration sets. Spinal immobilization devices and various technical rescue equipment.
PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIRED
Protective Clothing and Equipment to protect the employee during the following emergency responses: Fire Suppression, Technical Rescue, Wildland Fire, Swiftwater Rescue, & Blood Borne Pathogen
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: Roanoke County, Virginia
08-23-2013, 12:38 PM #1
Roanoke County, VirginiaStay Safe and Well Out There....
Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers
08-23-2013, 01:26 PM #2
Roanoke County does a regional school with Roanoke City and Salem. So if you apply for one of these localities at the written/c-pat orientation they will ask you if you want to use your app to apply for all three.
I have heard the City and County are going to hire 10 to 12 each and Salem is only taking 1 (much smaller dept only three stations). I put in my app with Roanoke City, I will not be transferring my app to the county tho
Last edited by Snarff; 08-23-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By deadbear271 in forum Hiring & Employment DiscussionReplies: 6Last Post: 09-28-2011, 12:13 PM
By HiddenAngel43 in forum VirginiaReplies: 0Last Post: 11-24-2008, 12:30 PM
By FDMedic143 in forum Career/Paid Firefighters ForumReplies: 0Last Post: 02-23-2006, 10:49 PM
By FireCritic in forum Hiring & Employment DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 02-14-2006, 12:31 PM
By FireCritic in forum Fire WireReplies: 0Last Post: 01-01-2006, 11:09 PM