Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Diabetic Firefighters

Hello, I have a question for those of you that are diabetic. I am a young career firefighter that started 3 years ago and have been diabetic for the last 8 years. My diabetes has never effected me negatively. I take shots because I was stubborn about getting a pump, but recently I have been thinking that maybe it might be time to make a switch. My question to you is which do you use: shots or pump? If you do use a pump; what kind is it and how do you like it? Does the pump effect you while on duty? Does it get in the way? Has there ever been an issue with it while doing actually firefighting? All your help and feedback is greatly appreciated!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by junior88 View Post
    My question to you is which do you use: shots or pump?
    I currently use the Solostar pens for both types of insulin I am on. I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 4 years ago and about a year ago it was changed to Type 1. I have been taking Advanced Management classes for the last 3 wks and baring any complications with insurance, I hope to be using a pump by the end of the year. I am looking at the Medtronics Medmini Pump. I have a family friend that uses one with the CGM option. As a firefighter, I think the CGM feature would be a must.

If you do a search of the forums, there was a thread several years ago about firefighters using pumps, but I don't remember how I found it. I would love to see a lot of participation on this thread as this is something that there is not a lot of information about or discussion about. (As far as firefighters.)

I too would be interested in some more information about firefighters utilizing pumps.

Forum Member

Just FYI....

There is a new page on Facebook for Diabetic Firefighters. Check it out! It is a work in progress, but hope to have a lot of information and help for fellow firefighters.

https://www.facebook.com/DiabeticFirefighters

Thread Information