Forum Member

Default Questions concerning eligibility

Hello! I am new to this forum and just had a few specific Q's that I couldn't find answers to browsing the archives of questions. I'll make them concise as possible.

I want to know how much of a roadblock it is, or if I am completely disqualified from attempting to become a fireman in Portland, OR for any of the following:

As far as any infractions with police, there is a single isolated incident:

A police man took me to central booking for scribbling on a trash can with a sharpie (not a joke) and I given 6 days community service, which I successfully completed and my record was "sealed" -not sure that's even possible- and for the hell of it, I did a couple more months of community service in the same church (don't know if that's relevant but thought I'd put it out there anyway)

I have one tattoo of a black square about the size of my palm on my left arm which is concealed in anything but a sleeveless shirt.

I am a dual citizen..I only ask if that's an issue because I have been ineligible for certain things in the past due to the fact that having a foreign nationality renders you unable to obtain a security clearance.

I took medication for ADD as a child.

Anyhow, that's about it, I just wanted to put up all the things I have working against me to see if any of them or a combination disqualified me from the challenge.

Thanks for taking a look!

Forum Member

As long as you are able to work in us should be ok

How old were you with the trash can thing?

Do you know what level it was misdemeanor other

With the trash can thing should be ok, would report it with explanation

Forum Member

What state are you in

Forum Member

Hey thanks for getting back. The trashcan thing happened 4 years ago, I was smack in the middle of my bachelors degree in something very arbitrary to fire, film theory, so I was 21 at the time, making me 25 now (still at a ripe age for the challenge of firefighting hopefully) I am a US citizen so I am eligible to work in the US. I am in the state of New York, specifically Brooklyn, NY, but will be moving to Portland, Oregon in 2014. So that's pretty much the thick and thin of it. If you need any more info just let me know, and thanks again!

Forum Member

Oh I forgot, as far as the type of misdemeanor, it was either a class d misdemeanor, or an unclassified one, I can't recall exactly which, but it was a minor classification.

Forum Member

Should be ok

More than likely if they look they will find it , so declare it with explanation

Would check what oregan and its cities require just to apply and get those requirements

You can check different city depts and sometimes they will tell you what is required

Yes the trash can incident may put you behind someone with no blemishes

Forum Member

As long as I am not disqualified I see no reason to give up. Thanks for the advice, I'll check for the requirements for sure!

Forum Member

"Scribbling' on a trash can is called graffiti. And yes, you should pay consequences for it. Would you really expect a cop to look the other way and allow you to do it? As for cause for disqualification, I don't see it as a problem.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information