Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Duty Boots?

Forum Member

Default Duty Boots?

I am joining up with my University's EMS programme, in addition to hopefully running with the FD down here, and my one back home... turning into a bit of an unpaid career! But anyway they require us to have black duty boots (otherwise it's oxfords... and that won't be too fun for shift work...) So alas I am in the market for a set of boots, in addition to the relevant advice.

As a Uni student, cash isn't exactly something that is flowing, although I can see maybe under $100, perhaps a little more for something that will last a while! Any recommendations for something that will hopefully last a while, take a polish, that is preferably zip-up (a plus, but not mandatory), and is about 8" high (highly preferred).

Obviously they should be waterproof... and considering it is considered the Drunk-Bus... vomit proof.... Oh yea and comfortable... almost forgot that one!

Anyways any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the disjointedness, the brain is enjoying the last bit of the holiday before classes resume!

Cheers,
    Bren

Haix. I've had mine for 3 years now, they show it, but they're still in decent condition, and still comfortable as hell.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Do you have a Cabellas near by? I bought a pair of side zipper duty boots there. They are Bates and I paid less than $100 for them. They are going on the second year of use and have held up fine for me.

Gander Mountain sells duty boots too.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Do you have a Cabellas near by? I bought a pair of side zipper duty boots there. They are Bates and I paid less than $100 for them. They are going on the second year of use and have held up fine for me.

Gander Mountain sells duty boots too.
    I don't have one nearby (that I know of..) but that being said, if you let me know the model I can see about ordering them. I assume they run true to size (have a pair of their RATs, so I assume the sizing is the same...)

LAPG has some but not too many reviews... anyone have any experience with Bates Enforcers or Durashocks? Ideally I am looking for something I can bull up nicely, but not necessary-- are the sport-type boots awful for this?

I appreciate the suggestion for Haix, but alas they are a bit too expensive for me! I am looking for a more 'classic' style of boot, something along the lines of a combat boot.

They don't mandate them, but are impact toes a near requirement for EMS work? The only boots that I have ever really used with such a toe are my bunker boots, and even then, the heavy bit usually manages to hit me just behind the toe cap, lol....

Cheers/

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

The stock number for the Bates boots was EO2261.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Bates: $95 http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footw...3Bcat103942980

5.11: $100 http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...0&merchID=4006

Bates: $68-90 http://www.galls.com/bates-8-inch-me...pper-duty-boot

Galls: $80 http://www.galls.com/bates-8-inch-me...pper-duty-boot

I understand wanting to stay inexpensive, but I've learned that footwear is one thing I won't cheap out on. It's well worth the investment. Plus, if you catch the Haix Clearance site at the right time, you can get their $300-$400 boots for $70-$100.

But the links I gave should be more than sufficient based on your criteria. Hope it helps.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

Thanks Fyred and Chez.

Chez, do you know if a sale is coming up soon? I need the boots on order by the end of the week that's why.

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Highschoolvolunteer View Post
    Thanks Fyred and Chez.

Chez, do you know if a sale is coming up soon? I need the boots on order by the end of the week that's why.

Thanks
    Anyone have experience with Wellcos? My local ocean state job lot (similar to Costco) has them for cheap... now granted that they will have every size but mine, but if I can find a pair...

Quote Originally Posted by Highschoolvolunteer View Post

Thanks
    Here's the clearance sight. It looks like they've been pretty well rummaged this time around as there's only a couple really small sizes left.

As far as Wellcos, never heard of them. The first pair of boots I bought was a cheap pair off amazon, so if you get a cheapo now, you can always upgrade later.

Thread Information