Forum Member

Default Shared station ISO arrangement

Okay, all you ISO experts. Help me with our odd situation.

At the very southern tip of our district is a subdivision. Our 5 road miles ends just inside their entrance.

The insurance companies had been considering that good enough and writing the homes in the subdivision on our Class 5, but lately they are starting to act a bit squirrelly about it.

Another fire department is only about three miles away and could easily cover the entire subdivision, but they are a Class 6 and they don't really want it anyway.

For reasons too complicated to go into, we actually own that department's station, and we currently have a surplus engine that they are interested in buying. The engine would be 100% reserve for them; they fully meet their ISO fire flow with the engine they already have.

We can't afford an actual substation right now, and it might be a waste to do so anyway since the nearby city keeps trying to annex the subdivision. We would like to do something that gets the subdivision fully covered within our 5 miles and puts the issue to bed.

Would we be able to cover that subdivision through one of these arrangements?

1. We keep the surplus engine and position it in their station as if it's a substation for us

2. We sell them the surplus engine but turn around and lease it right back, then use it from their station as in #1
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Not an expert but I would say that if you have members who could respond to that station, you operate the apparatus through ownership or lease the apparatus after you sell it, and you lease the bay space, you should be able to work it out with ISO.

How about a limited mutual aid agreement just for that subdivision with thier personnel staffing that engine?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

I think the best arrangement is to retain ownership of the engine, your company gets to call where it located a substation or some type of staging. Your company will need to man, maintain the engine and respond to any calls in their district when it is needed along with bringing up an engine to stage at their station during those instances. Oh and you must have it all on paper. This will be funny if this works and you get ISO points for the improved mutual aid response also. I think there are some, not a lot but when you are them rather than you, you might as well let them do it since your not them then ( I think I got that right).
    By the way it was really tempting to make a cruel wisecrack about all homes in Kentucky being on wheels and to just move the subdivision, but I was able to resist and not do that.
    Last edited by Miller337; 09-02-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    By the way it was really tempting to make a cruel wisecrack about all homes in Kentucky being on wheels and to just move the subdivision, but I was able to resist and not do that.
    Hey now! That's hurtful!

The subdivision actually is quite nice, homes $250K up to nearly a million. But boy, are they close to a little enclave of inbred shacks.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Hey now! That's hurtful!

The subdivision actually is quite nice, homes $250K up to nearly a million. I apologize K-Fried I didn't realize mobile homes could cost so much. But boy, are they close to a little enclave of inbred shacks.
    On which side of the line?

Forum Member

I think automatic mutual aid would be your best bet. I don't know how the other dept. is an ISO class six, my house is a 5 just because I have a hydrant within 1000'. My dept. here at home is paid on call as well.

Thread Information