Forum Member

Default Let me get your opinion

A guy gets in trouble for posting negative things on social media, so he is brought into the Chiefs office for a counseling statement. Before entering the office with his shift leader he hits record on his IPhone. He records the whole conversation, and you can here him baiting the chief into saying more. How many individuals do you know that when in private may have said some negative things about there boss or other officials that you may not say in public? Then two and a half months after recording this hour long conversation the individual who recorded gets another job as a contract firefighter and leaves the country literally. On his way out of country he emails the link to this recording to all of the city council, which in turn the city fires the fire chief. The other individual in the recording continues to have employment. I just want your opinion on this situation. Most of the people in the department respected the chief, but a small handful think its a party and funny since he is gone. What do you think?

Forum Member

Illegal to record someone without their knowledge. A city would know that. Betting this story never actually happened.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Would not want to work with the one that did the recording

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

If this indeed happened, my first call would be to a lawyer. I believe the Chief's rights were violated by his being recorded without his knowledge, and the city furthered violating his rights by using this illegally obtained recording to fire him. Seems like the chief should either be back on the job or enjoying his cash settlement in Tahiti!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Illegal to record someone without their knowledge. A city would know that. Betting this story never actually happened.
    Varies from state-to-state. Here, only one party needs to be aware that the recording is occurring. This has occurred with in my department, albeit many, many years ago.

Forum Member

I regret to say but it did happen, the recording was done June 5 and it was emailed to the board members August 23. The chief was let go the following Tuesday.

Thread Information