Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Co-op Fire apparatus purchase

Any fire department ever purchase a new apparatus from a state buying co-op,instead of going out to bid. I am trying to find out information on what is the allowed amount or percent % of ( options ) that can be ordered over the base vehicle cost ?
    Example: Base fire truck $ 320,000 can you add $ 80,000 worth of options to the vehicle under one of these programs ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge View Post
    Any fire department ever purchase a new apparatus from a state buying co-op,instead of going out to bid. I am trying to find out information on what is the allowed amount or percent % of ( options ) that can be ordered over the base vehicle cost ?
    Example: Base fire truck $ 320,000 can you add $ 80,000 worth of options to the vehicle under one of these programs ?
    Isn't there a fairly new program in NJ? I don't know if other states can buy through Pa. CoStars, but I think if you go online to the Pa. Dept. of General Services you can find out, and what the allowable deviations are. Several years ago I when was looking on there I saw one manufacturer had their basic trucks listed along with just about every option they offered listed separately.

I know anyone can buy through HGAC which is Houston Galveston whatever the A and C stand for. Also there's a Florida Sheriffs co-op that I think is pretty open. You would think each one of them would have their rules shown on their respective web sites.
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 09-05-2013 at 09:29 AM.

You might be able to do that. I am in Kentucky, so I'm sure things are different, but at my job we recently purchased a 12-passenger van and essentially had total freedom to get whatever options we wanted. Since we bought it on state contract, we didn't have to go through bidding and all that BS.

It was very fast and easy, and WOW did we save money. The van we bought would have been $37K+ for Joe Blow Private Citizen and we got it in the $25K range.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

HGAC allows either 20% or 25% price change. I'll have to check my notes at home.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Thanks, Boxalarm187

Forum Member

There is a new co-op purchasing program here in N.J. but very little information about adding options to a fire apparatus ! I tryed calling the state offices looking for information, but was on hold forever, and hung up the phone and gave up!

Dude, your expecting our state to know what they are doing? or even have a clue on how to answer a question about their own program?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Thumbs down State Offices

It would be nice to have a " HUMAN " answer a phone call at any state office in trenton, N.J. ,did you ever try calling the DCA about a fire district question, forget about it, the person you ask for is on vacation, retired, out to lunch, fired, stepped out of the office, or MIA !!

Forum Member

The Fire Apparatus contract here in N.J. is a 5 -year agreement with Pierce, KME, Seagrave, Ferrara, & Spartan EVR. So if a fire department buys a truck 3-4 years from today the price is locked in , when you go out to bid for a truck, there is a 3% increase every year from most builders do to materials & labor costs rising up. So the co-op purchase should save a fire department money ?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge View Post
    The Fire Apparatus contract here in N.J. is a 5 -year agreement with Pierce, KME, Seagrave, Ferrara, & Spartan EVR. So if a fire department buys a truck 3-4 years from today the price is locked in , when you go out to bid for a truck, there is a 3% increase every year from most builders do to materials & labor costs rising up. So the co-op purchase should save a fire department money ?
    "Should". Unless those builders added that 3% annual increase into the front....and your overpaying for the first few years.

Honestly, can't think of 1 time that I have saved money buying off state contract. And that covers firehouse purchases and my job purchases. I always beat state contract prices. State contract purchasing is just simpler.....not cheaper nor more efficient.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Red face State Contract

We purchased a new 2013 4wd SUV command vehicle off of the N.J. State contract and saved $ 10,000 !

Saved $10k over going out to bid....or sticker price?

Forum Member

Saved $ 5k from bids and $ 13k off of the sticker price, paid $30k for the truck, and the MSRP was $ 43,890.00 !
    Will be looking for a new 4wd crew cab pickup in the future on state contract!
    Last edited by Woodbridge; 09-09-2013 at 05:33 PM.

If you had shopped for that same SUV , it could be bought for less money.
    Our local hospital buys their paramedic interceptor Tahoes fully loaded with emergency service packages for under 28 k delivered from a dealer in Texas that specializes in that type of Vehicle. Almost 16 k less than the local dealer here bid on the same spec.

Thread Information