Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Fort Worth FD hiring process

Forum Member

I would think that number would be about right since they are planning on hiring around 110. Hope everyone did well.

Forum Member

I bet they go down to the 3rd or 4th at least. When I got hired, I am pretty sure they went through about 450 to get 50... I just hope we get some good guys and y'all are more concerned about being a good hand and being an asset to the department and not just having a "stable" job. Good Luck to y'all

Forum Member

Congrats to you on making it on. That would be awesome if they take that many. ! I've been trying to be a firefighter for a while. I'm just not a very good test taker.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mattk1027 View Post
    Congrats to you on making it on. That would be awesome if they take that many. ! I've been trying to be a firefighter for a while. I'm just not a very good test taker.
    Have you looked into getting certified

http://www.trainingdivision.com/abou...ts-are-saying/

Forum Member

Only advice I can say from here on out is if your not running or working out start! Leg strength and stamina are a big part of being a good hand on the job, and definitely for getting through the running and the physical agility portion of the hiring process. For the lucky few that make it on, be prepared to run upward to 6-7 miles in rookie school, and that is just the morning workout, you can be in bunker gear the rest of the day in 100+ degree heat!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofyter07 View Post
    I bet they go down to the 3rd or 4th at least. When I got hired, I am pretty sure they went through about 450 to get 50... I just hope we get some good guys and y'all are more concerned about being a good hand and being an asset to the department and not just having a "stable" job. Good Luck to y'all
    What phase knocks out most people who make it through the test? Interviews?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofyter07 View Post
    Only advice I can say from here on out is if your not running or working out start! Leg strength and stamina are a big part of being a good hand on the job, and definitely for getting through the running and the physical agility portion of the hiring process. For the lucky few that make it on, be prepared to run upward to 6-7 miles in rookie school, and that is just the morning workout, you can be in bunker gear the rest of the day in 100+ degree heat!
    Thanks for the insight into the academy. Do you have any more advice or insight about what one should expect if he or she makes it on? I'm running and lifting every day in preparation for the academy (if it happens), and I'd love to know more so I can tailor my routine.

It's not that I think I'm extraordinarily likely to make it, but I want to be prepared if I get the chance. I'm fine with going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tarter sauce with me.

Forum Member

I've thought about. Just never have moved forward with it. Prayerfully I score high enough to have a chance with Ft. Worth. I would love to be part of the department.

Forum Member

Just from scoping out the room, I think we can eliminate 1/5 of the competition. Some people just didn't look like they were taking themselves seriously at all.

Forum Member

I did the same thing. counted rows and columns and multplied by number of applicants at each table. got the same number as you. After taking the Austin test i feel pretty good about those odds. Also forgive my ignorance but what does the stanine have to do with anything? If your ranked 1 to 1500 or so based on your test score why do they break it down into stanines? thanks and good luck to you all.

Semper Fi

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrInternational View Post
    I did the same thing. counted rows and columns and multplied by number of applicants at each table. got the same number as you. After taking the Austin test i feel pretty good about those odds. Also forgive my ignorance but what does the stanine have to do with anything? If your ranked 1 to 1500 or so based on your test score why do they break it down into stanines? thanks and good luck to you all.

Semper Fi
    I believe -- and I could be wrong about this -- that each stanine is essentially a wave of people with whom they move forward in the hiring process. If I understand it correctly, stanine one will all be invited to take the PAT, run, etc.

Forum Member

ah i see, so they invite however many stanines they think they will need to get 110 cadets. Once all the people pass or wash out they will have a pool of qualified applicants. Of this pool they hire down the list based on the rank of your written score right? I think I'm tracking now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shoelessjoseph View Post
    What phase knocks out most people who make it through the test? Interviews?
    The background check knocked quite a few people out but people fall out every phase from here on out

As long as you keep working out you should be good but no matter how "in shape" you are training will be tough

Forum Member

ah i see, so they invite however many stanines they think they will need to get 110 cadets. Once all the people pass or wash out they will have a pool of qualified applicants. Of this pool they hire down the list based on the rank of your written score right? I think I'm tracking now.
    I'm not sure if the final decision is based off of the written score or the interview. From what I've heard, it seems like the interview what serves as the basis for most of the final decision.

Forum Member

I tested in 2011 but only scored a 95 which was stanine 2, but everything i heard was the city was going to hire 2 or 3 classes. Sure enough I got called back in September 2012, interviewed in January 2013 and then received a letter in May stating the eligibility list had expired and no one would be hired. Anyone know what the deal was with that? I assume budget?
    I took the test last month and am eagerly awaiting the results, good luck to everybody else that took it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tootallhughes View Post
    I tested in 2011 but only scored a 95 which was stanine 2, but everything i heard was the city was going to hire 2 or 3 classes. Sure enough I got called back in September 2012, interviewed in January 2013 and then received a letter in May stating the eligibility list had expired and no one would be hired. Anyone know what the deal was with that? I assume budget?
    I took the test last month and am eagerly awaiting the results, good luck to everybody else that took it.

and how about getting ff and emt cert on your own?

can do ff cert online::

http://www.trainingdivision.com/fire...ghter-academy/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shoelessjoseph View Post
    I'm not sure if the final decision is based off of the written score or the interview. From what I've heard, it seems like the interview what serves as the basis for most of the final decision.
    The Recruitment Packet does not indicate whether the interview is pass/fail or scored. Just wondering what your source is about that and if you have any additional details.
    Last edited by Scooter56; 04-24-2014 at 08:42 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter56 View Post
    The Recruitment Packet does not indicate whether the interview is pass/fail or scored so it's officially unclear. Just wondering what your source is about that and if you have any additional details.
    From my understanding try divide the group into 9 groups. If there is 100 in each group it doesn't matter if you got a 106 or 98( depending on where that all averages out) you are all equal in that stanine and everything from there to oral board interview is pass or fail. Ten the interview to that point is the deciding factor

Forum Member

Have a friend going through process for first time

Any rumors when written results might get posted

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Have a friend going through process for first time

Any rumors when written results might get posted
    From my understanding the latest is the 19th. It's a 3rd party company that creates and grades the test, so it is on them to when they finish and release the scores

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter56 View Post
    The Recruitment Packet does not indicate whether the interview is pass/fail or scored so it's officially unclear. Just wondering what your source is about that and if you have any additional details.
    My only source is old threads I've read on here. It seems as though some people in the past have felt like bad interviewees were sometimes weeded out by supposedly "failing" the poly or psych test. In other words, the interview allows them to decide if they like you as a candidate. If not, they have their ways of eliminating you. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that, and it could have simply been bitter people who really did fail the poly or psych tests. However, from what I've read from various sources, it does seem like the interview is the final deciding factor once the other rounds are done. I don't think the test ranking follows a candidate all the way through.

BTW, what have you guys heard about the Academy? Any idea on how heavily the PT is weighted towards running vs. calisthenics vs. strength, etc.?

Forum Member

I have a buddy that turned out 2 or 3 years ago, he said its weighed very heavily towards running.

Forum Member

I see what you are saying about everyone being equal in the stanines and the interview being the deciding factor, but then why would they have us draw the lottery numbers. Each stanine is divided at a certain percentage depending on the averages. So if you get a 98% or 82% or whatever you will be in the same stanine as the rest of the people who scored the same. no 2 people who have the same score will be in a different stanine. So my thoughts are that the lottery number places you in order with others of the same score and they hire down the list that way. If they didnt why would they need the lottery number they could just choose based on interviews who they wanted out of the selected stanine. To me it seems like it would be pass or fail on the interview.

Forum Member

I see what you are saying about everyone being equal in the stanines and the interview being the deciding factor, but then why would they have us draw the lottery numbers. Each stanine is divided at a certain percentage depending on the averages. So if you get a 98% or 82% or whatever you will be in the same stanine as the rest of the people who scored the same. no 2 people who have the same score will be in a different stanine. So my thoughts are that the lottery number places you in order with others of the same score and they hire down the list that way. If they didnt why would they need the lottery number they could just choose based on interviews who they wanted out of the selected stanine. To me it seems like it would be pass or fail on the interview.
    That's a very good point. The lottery number wouldn't be necessary if the test list was only used to determine stanines. Since an entire stanine moves forward in the process together (at least that's my understanding), there must be some reason later down the road to need to distinguish between individuals with the same score. If anyone has actual knowledge on this issue, I'd love to hear it.

Forum Member

Hey everyone,

Hope ya'll stayed safe during the ice storm. Has anyone heard anything yet on the eligibility list?

Thread Information