+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 First ... 3456789 ... Last
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Fort Worth FD hiring process

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tootallhughes View Post
    Wind was blowing like crazy, I thought I was feeling ok but after the 3rd lap I was drowning in flem.... Was able to finish in just over 13 minutes and scheduled my PAT for 8:00.
    I heard from a buddy of mine that the 2:00 run had 2 no shows and 1 fail. The 3:30 run had 2 no shows and 4 fails. At the 4:00 run all 8 of us made it. It seems like a lot of people dropped out of the running today.... Hope everybody on here made it.
    Congrats on making it through the run. So did not all 150 run?

Forum Member

Everybody was scheduled to run, but there were a few no shows. At the orientation Captain Ware said they usually expect 30% of stanine 1 to pass everything. So that would be about 45, but personally I think its going to be less. There seemed to be a lot of people failing or no showing for the run.

Forum Member

Everybody was scheduled to run, but there were a few no shows. At the orientation Captain Ware said they usually expect 30% of stanine 1 to pass everything. So that would be about 45, but personally I think its going to be less. There seemed to be a lot of people failing or no showing for the run.
    I gotcha, thanks for the updates. Just trying to get a feel of how far they will get down in the stanines. Does it seem like they are trying to get the first class started pretty quick?

Forum Member

Yes, the first class being scheduled for beginning of April is fairly quick compared to the norm

Forum Member

Hughes is right -- the wind was pretty brutal. I finished in a little over 11:00, but I've done it in under 10 before. I don't think the wind accounted for all of that difference, but it certainly made it tougher.

I was in the 11:30 run, and everyone showed up and finished on time.

Good luck to everyone on the PAT. I'll be in the 3:30 group.

Forum Member

I thought I would post a few tips I was given that helped me pass the PAT last year. Sometimes the small things make a big difference.

1. On the first event, throw the bag over your left shoulder and grab the humat valve with both hands; this gives you a better grip for when the other end of the hose drops out of the tray.

2. Thumbs down on the extension ladder raise; better grip.

3. Fast, steady pace, but don't do an all out sprint up the stairs; you don't want your quads to be toast with the hose advance and dummy drag coming up.

4. On the hose advance get as low as you can and put as much hose out in front of you as you can WITHOUT letting the nozzle touch the ground.(Note: You DO NOT have to hold the handle on the nozzle as you drag the hose, it is much easier if you have a bunch of the hose weight in front of you.) Do not under any circumstances stop moving; once it stops, the hose is almost impossible to get moving again

If anybody has any tips to add or any critiques feel free to reply. Good luck everyone.
    Anyone else doing the early bird 8:00 am PAT?

Forum Member

That's where I messed up on the hose drag...went right for the nozzle. I passed the practice, but not by as much as I wanted. Anyone boot camping tomorrow?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frog3 View Post
    That's where I messed up on the hose drag...went right for the nozzle. I passed the practice, but not by as much as I wanted. Anyone boot camping tomorrow?
    I will be. What time will they be out there, btw?

Forum Member

I believe it's 5-8

Forum Member

Thanks. I just went out there, and fortunately and I completed it in time. That makes me feel a little more confident going into the weekend, but I may still go out there again tomorrow. It's certainly a good leg workout.

The one tip I have for anyone who is looking for one is that if you can finish it without stopping, you'll probably finish on time. As a result, don't try to sprint up the stairs. The second half is more difficult than the first, so take it at a nice steady pace on the stairs and focus on catching your breath on the way down. Also, don't stop on the hose drag.

Good luck to everyone!

Forum Member

I keep wondering if they are really going to stick to the tentative schedule. The turnaround from the background orientation to meeting with the background investigators to turn in our background book is pretty quick-just 2 or 3 days..... Last year they gave us like ten days to fill out our background books.

Oh well, that'll be something to worry about after the PAT....... Starting to wonder what in the world I was thinking by signing up for the 8am time slot.....

Forum Member

I keep wondering if they are really going to stick to the tentative schedule. The turnaround from the background orientation to meeting with the background investigators to turn in our background book is pretty quick-just 2 or 3 days..... Last year they gave us like ten days to fill out our background books.

Oh well, that'll be something to worry about after the PAT....... Starting to wonder what in the world I was thinking by signing up for the 8am time slot.....
    Cooler time of the day

Forum Member

Did ya'll pass the PAT?

Forum Member

Yep, 4:06. Scheduled to meet with investigator Tuesday. I think he said polygraphs next week or the week after. He told me they are looking at running classes consecutively.

Forum Member

Yep, 4:06. Scheduled to meet with investigator Tuesday. I think he said polygraphs next week or the week after. He told me they are looking at running classes consecutively.
    Nice Man! Did you stick ar

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mattk1027 View Post
    Nice Man! Did you stick ar
    Around to see how everyone else did?

Forum Member

I did the 8am and out of 30 of us I only saw 1 person fail. If they get enough candidates from stanine 1 for the first class then it will start late March/early April. Captain Ware said they are looking at running classes consecutively, so as soon as that class is done they want to have another class ready to go. That would mean stanine 2 and possibly 3 will likely be called to do their orientation sometime around August or September.

So far they are sticking to that tentative schedule, they scheduled us to meet with the background investigators Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.

PS.
    It would be a good idea to wear a suit and tie to the meeting with the investigator.

Forum Member

I don't get MLK day off, so I forgot that banks are closed. I went by the bank after work to get my yellow book notarized.......whoops. It's going to be very tight to get everything done by tomorrow.
    Did everyone else pass the PAT?????

Forum Member

I don't get MLK day off, so I forgot that banks are closed. I went by the bank after work to get my yellow book notarized.......whoops. It's going to be very tight to get everything done by tomorrow.
    Did everyone else pass the PAT?????
    May be to late there are plenty of notaries in the world

Check your insurance agent or the like

Forum Member

I passed the PAT, and in my 3:30 group, only three did not. This is certainly not dragging along. I'm also scrambling to get everything together and filled out by tomorrow.

Forum Member

Meeting with the investigator was a breeze. Polygraph is scheduled for Monday 1/27. They are moving at supersonic speeds compared to last year.

Forum Member

Just for future notice: there are 24/7 notaries that will meet you at a public place. It's expensive, but when you gotta get it done you gotta get it done.

Forum Member

Hey shoelessjoseph, did you make it thru to the poly?

Forum Member

I think everyone makes it through the poly but if there are any questionable results they bring it up in the interview.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter56 View Post
    I think everyone makes it through the poly but if there are any questionable results they bring it up in the interview.
    Oh ok. I didn't phrase my question very well, I was trying to ask if Joseph made it through the meeting with the background investigator to get to the polygraph.

Also, how about you scooter, you still alive and kickin in the process?
    Last edited by Tootallhughes; 01-22-2014 at 10:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 First ... 3456789 ... Last

Thread Information