Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Fort Worth FD hiring process

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mattk1027 View Post
    It seems like things are way different this year on the hiring process. The last time they tested they took 200 for stanine 1, and they were only hiring 40 or so. Since they are hiring 110, do you think they will go through half the people that are on the eligibility list?
    I think it depends on class sizes and how many classes they do this year. I know when they called back stanine 2 from the 2011 test a year later a lot of people didn't even show up for the orientation. Because of that they had to call in stanine 3 to get the number of candidates they wanted to interview.
    So my wife and I are expecting our second child in August. If everything goes according to plan and I am in FWFD fire school, how much time do they let me have off for the baby? A day or two?

Forum Member

Congratulations with the kid, as for the days off, I am sure you will have to cross the bridge when you get there, I know the officers in the academy are great dudes and they will probably let you leave in the middle of class but days off you might have to hope it falls on a Friday or Saturday...
    You have barely passed the written exam there is still a whole process ahead, nice confidence though

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofyter07 View Post
    Congratulations with the kid, as for the days off, I am sure you will have to cross the bridge when you get there, I know the officers in the academy are great dudes and they will probably let you leave in the middle of class but days off you might have to hope it falls on a Friday or Saturday...
    You have barely passed the written exam there is still a whole process ahead, nice confidence though
    Lol, getting a little ahead of myself, huh? Is there anyway to speed up time through the hiring process???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tootallhughes View Post
    I think it depends on class sizes and how many classes they do this year. I know when they called back stanine 2 from the 2011 test a year later a lot of people didn't even show up for the orientation. Because of that they had to call in stanine 3 to get the number of candidates they wanted to interview.
    So my wife and I are expecting our second child in August. If everything goes according to plan and I am in FWFD fire school, how much time do they let me have off for the baby? A day or two?

Just might depend on what phase you are in the program

Unless FW is different you are not really an employee with many if any benefits

Not sure if you get medical
    Someone should be able to answer that one

Forum Member

You do have medical benefits. We had a few guys have kids while I was in rookie school, but you are an at will employee during academy so they can fire you at any point of the process. They may be more lenient if you already have certifications prior to academy but in the end that's up the instructing officers discretion.

Forum Member

Pyrofyter, do you have any tips for the interview?
    Side note-Do you know why the link to the recruitment packet has been deleted from the department's website?

Forum Member

The best information I can give you is what was given to me... Get a suit and aside from the running and cpat I would be wearing a suit for everything, you don't know who you will see or who will see you. I have no clue about the packet.

Forum Member

Just wanted to make sure that the orientation site is located at:
    1000 Calvert Street
    Fort Worth, TX 76107

I would appreciate anybody who made the 1st Stanine and can confirm this.

Forum Member

Yes that is correct.

Forum Member

So, I haven't been sick in probably a year and a half, but of course the night before orientation I spike a 103 fever with body aches and the whole deal..... I guess I should be thankful I'm not sick before the run or PAT.

P.S. Please have mercy on me and don't ask a ton of questions at orientation.....lol

Forum Member

Did everyone show up for the orientation?

Forum Member

Yes, I showed up for orientation. I was happy to hear that the process looks like it will be a bit quicker than I had thought it would be. I also went through the PAT practice.

Everyone was very helpful. I didn't know what the attitude toward us would be from the current firefighters running the PAT, but the guys I spoke with were extremely helpful and nice. A couple even gave me some technique pointers. I've been very impressed by the department so far.
    Last edited by shoelessjoseph; 01-06-2014 at 10:56 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shoelessjoseph View Post
    Yes, I showed up for orientation. I was happy to hear that the process looks like it will be a bit quicker than I had thought it would be. I also went through the PAT practice.

Everyone was very helpful. I didn't know what the attitude toward us would be from the current firefighters running the PAT, but the guys I spoke with were extremely helpful and nice. A couple even gave me some technique pointers. I've been very impressed by the department so far.
    Since they are hiring 110, did they say anything about how many people per class they're taking?

Forum Member

Since they are hiring 110, did they say anything about how many people per class they're taking?
    No, they did not. He did mention that everyone in stanine 1 is essentially in the same position at this point.

Forum Member

Did everyone show up for the orientation?
    I know at the 1330 orientation at least 2 guys didn't show up.. They'll be going thru the first stanine pretty quick hoping to get a class from it. If you're in the 2nd stanine I'd expect to hear something around April, maybe March

Forum Member

Unfortunately I'm way down on the list, but someone said that it took them 400 plus to get 50 guys. So I'm keeping my hopes up that they get way down on the list.

Forum Member

Someone asked that question at the 1530 orientation and Captain Ware said that as of now they have been authorized for a class of 24, but that is up to the mayor and the city council to adjust at their discretion.

Forum Member

Have they scheduled ya'll for the run yet?

Forum Member

Have they scheduled ya'll for the run yet?
    Yes, we scheduled our runs at the orientation. I think everyone's running on Sunday, mine is at 4:00pm. I'm a little worried about it since I came down with the flu on Sunday......

The tentative schedule says the PAT is scheduled for the following weekend and interviews in February. Tentative start date is 04/07.

P.S. A buddy of mine who is a Dallas firefighter is in this process for FWFD. He has been in Dallas for four years and is making 43k a year... yikes. I think it's insane that the city of Dallas trained he and his classmates to paramedic level, have withheld raises for "budget" reasons, and really expect to be able to keep these people. No wonder so many DFD firefighters were testing with Fort Worth.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tootallhughes View Post
    Yes, we scheduled our runs at the orientation. I think everyone's running on Sunday, mine is at 4:00pm. I'm a little worried about it since I came down with the flu on Sunday......

The tentative schedule says the PAT is scheduled for the following weekend and interviews in February. Tentative start date is 04/07.

P.S. A buddy of mine who is a Dallas firefighter is in this process for FWFD. He has been in Dallas for four years and is making 43k a year... yikes. I think it's insane that the city of Dallas trained he and his classmates to paramedic level, have withheld raises for "budget" reasons, and really expect to be able to keep these people. No wonder so many DFD firefighters were testing with Fort Worth.
    We'll good luck man. That's pretty crazy about Dallas. I have a bunch of friends that work there, but they have already been there a while.

Thread Information