Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Fort Worth FD hiring process

Forum Member

Default Fort Worth FD hiring process

Fort Worth is taking applications Oct 7-24. This is the start of the hiring process.

http://fortworthtexas.gov/hr/info/default.aspx?id=5520

Forum Member

Wow, that recruitment pdf is the most detailed I've ever seen. They don't do the CPAT there though. Seems like a good city to work for.

Forum Member

How many recruits is Fort Worth looking to hire? Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Lot of stations, lots of variety with career paths (Hazmat, fire prevention, bomb squad, arson investigations, no ambulance - first response only, good pay, Texas Civil Service, good political strength. - Yes, it's real good to work for.

I've heard 24-36.
    Last edited by agavegrove; 09-12-2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: add info

Forum Member

Hello all, I'm a new member here currently a EMT B student and future firefighter. In 2012 I tried for Arlington,TX which is where I live and didn't make the cut, same with this year (I think they test early in the year judging by this year and last) anyways I will be attending Fort Worth's hiring process hopefully third times a charm.

Has anybody went threw Fort Worth's hiring process before and can give any tips? the test, the PAT etc.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans92 View Post
    Hello all, I'm a new member here currently a EMT B student and future firefighter. In 2012 I tried for Arlington,TX which is where I live and didn't make the cut, same with this year (I think they test early in the year judging by this year and last) anyways I will be attending Fort Worth's hiring process hopefully third times a charm.

Has anybody went threw Fort Worth's hiring process before and can give any tips? the test, the PAT etc.
    Get ff certified and paramedic and you should have a job plus the competition is less

Check this online and two weeks at school

http://www.trainingdivision.com/abou...ts-are-saying/

And the school is in Crowley

Forum Member

Yes, I'm very excited to see Fort Worth FD hiring. I went through the hiring process for Houston FD earlier this year and was disqualified because I missed the 1.5 mile run by 8 seconds ...... That was devestating to say the least.
    I'm curious what test Fort Worth will use. Houston used the FST exam which was a tricky little test. It was the first time Houston had used that test so we were all guinea pigs. I believe the highest score was a 96... And that was with 2,000 people taking the test. I ended up scoring an 82 (+5 for military so an 87) and my rank was 130 out of 2,000.

Does anyone know how many cadets they're hiring? Any tips on the hiring process for those of you that have done Fort Worth's process before?

Well good luck to you all. If its the FTS exam, start studying! That test is no joke!

Forum Member

Apparently what you should be doing now is get out and start running. If 8 seconds was the deciding factor on whether or not you got the job it seems quite obvious what you should be doing. When they put out the study guides get studying, they definitely aren't going to just give you the job it's gonna be an enduring process with all of the things you have to do, but when you get on it's all worth it. Also in rookie school we had 3 timed runs and I don't know how other departments are with there rookie schools but we will fire you if you fail tests or runs, so when you have the job they make it known that you are an at will employee.

Forum Member

I've been thru Ft Worth's process twice.. Not sure if I will this yr because the test is on a C-shift. It's a long process but well worth it. Ft Worth is a great dept and everyone I talk to that works there loves it! Good luck to everyone. Prior experience or certs is not necessary.

Forum Member

Dude it's worth it, find someone to trade shifts with you or something. I know we had a guy from a local department that was an officer on a truck that was in our hiring process, and quite a few guys that are on now had 10 years or so experience at other departments and say it was the best move they ever made.
    probie27 likes this.

Forum Member

Apparently Pyrofyter above is trying to give me some advice on running...which I appreciate...i really do: Given that the Ft Worth test is easier (in some regards) in that you do the run one day by itself, then the rest of the physical agility another day, and you have almost 14 minutes to run a mile & a half. I ran the Houston FD mile & half in 13:18 at the age of 31 with a stress fracture in my foot at the time, so think I'll be ok with this test.

Also, does anyone have any good resources or suggestions for taking the civil service exam? They'll are similar but different? Anyone know what test it is or a good website?

MembersZone Subscriber

For those of you preparing for the 2013 Fort Worth exam, go to the link below for in-depth custom designed exam prep. Good luck !!

http://www.fireprep.com/fort_worth_f...r_examina.html

Assistant Chief Brent Collins, Cleveland Fire Dept.
    Firehouse.com Entry Level Contributor Author since 2002

More Career articles and exam prep strategies by Chief Collins can be found at the link below
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/con.../bio.jsp?id=17

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofyter07 View Post
    Dude it's worth it, find someone to trade shifts with you or something. I know we had a guy from a local department that was an officer on a truck that was in our hiring process, and quite a few guys that are on now had 10 years or so experience at other departments and say it was the best move they ever made.
    I've never heard of anyone that regretted leaving their department for FWFD. Tailboarders to officers all say they just wish they'd done it sooner.

Forum Member

That's a fact jack, best department hands down.

Forum Member

So, I've been out of the testing game for a decade.

How many normally take the test in Fort Worth?

How long is the academy?

I'm got fire certs, paramedic, 10+ years as a career guy. Do I go through academy with brand new, first time testing, never walked into a firehouse before guy?

Thanks for the link on here...
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mark440 View Post

How long is the academy?

I'm got fire certs, paramedic, 10+ years as a career guy. Do I go through academy with brand new, first time testing, never walked into a firehouse before guy?

So why are you going through the cattle call???

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

Yes FW has more stations which means better chance for promotion

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mark440 View Post

How long is the academy?

http://fortworthtexas.gov/uploadedFi...ecruitment.pdf

Says about seven months

I am guessing they do a short one for people with emt or better

Are you Texas ff certified?

If not check this

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/certificat...ansferring.asp
    Last edited by fire49; 09-29-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    So why are you going through the cattle call???

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

Yes FW has more stations which means better chance for promotion
    The childhood dream...

I would love to work in FW, but age plays against me, I've only got a few years of eligibility left for FWFD. I hadn't seen the document you pasted in your other reply.

Working in Fort Worth would certainly be the attainment of the ultimate goal. There is no question that it would be worth leaving my current FD for there.

The positives well outweigh the negatives in all aspects.

Thanks for the link!
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    http://fortworthtexas.gov/uploadedFi...ecruitment.pdf

Says about seven months

I am guessing they do a short one for people with emt or better

Are you Texas ff certified?

If not check this

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/certificat...ansferring.asp
    According to this last link, my certs should transfer just fine. I've looked into reciprocity for my Paramedic license before and wouldn't have any issue there.
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

They will most likely transfer your paramedic if you are certified in Texas. It is up to the city though, they may or may not do a fast track program where you'll only do fire and they'll have you take a protocols test and send you to the field, but they will for sure put you through fire training and teach you the "Fort Worth way"

Forum Member

Can't get into those baby blue uniforms.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by upallday View Post
    What "baby blue uniforms"?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by upallday View Post
    Those are the class A's. You won't wear those every day. Also, the blue Class A shirts are being phased out for white shirts. Gray polo and navy or pants/shorts is the work uniform.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm eager to be employed! Does anyone know a tentative start date for the academy and how many they are hiring?
    "Once You Find Something You Enjoy Doing, Then It's No Longer Work!"

"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue"-Adm. Nimitz about Marines in the Battle of Iwo Jima

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by agavegrove View Post
    Those are the class A's. You won't wear those every day. Also, the blue Class A shirts are being phased out for white shirts. Gray polo and navy or pants/shorts is the work uniform.
    Since I have been on I have only worn the "baby blue uniform" once and that was during graduation from rookie school. Since then they have been in a suit bag in my coat closet...

Thread Information