Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DeputyChiefGonzo

Thread: Another gem from Ray McCormack...

Default Another gem from Ray McCormack...

I saw this on Firegeezer.com. It was a brief interview of Lt. Ray McCoramck, FDNY by Laurence Delorme, aka "Fireball".

This statement by Ray is very thought provoking....
    " Many firefighters wonder where change come from. Especially where change they don't like comes from. It comes in small doses and from many places. By expanding your fire world you start to better understand who and what organizations are pushing trends and changes. Many of the people pushing for change in the fire service are not even firefighters or have retired from the fire service. It's kind of ironic that people who lived in our boots now find what we do appalling. My question is where was your crusade when you were in the fire service? I think we have enough people in the fire service who actually understand what the day to day challenges are without outsiders in retirement telling us what's best. The big checks from grants tend to go to foundations, organizations and private entities not fire departments, and that is often shocking for firefighters to grasp. It is not wrong but it is concerning that outsiders have so much control over the fire service."

I think all firefighter need to realize that they are part of a great organization that appreciates and embodies traits and values that are admired by many and possessed by few. We give of ourselves often with a heavy price to protect and serve. The fact that we save lives and preserve property is not some casual trend, it is the backbone of the fire service. When someone tells you that what you do does not matter, that is a lie. Firefighters need to be sharp and ready when the bell rings. Telling firefighters that fires are down and moving them away from their fundamental mission is a mistake that will result in failure to both the community at large and the firefighting community. Keep your focus on saving lives and extinguishing fires as this is what firefighters do and anyone who plays that down apparently has yet to realize no other group can replace a firefighter.
    To quote an esteemed colleague of mine....

Bing-freaking-o!
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 09-10-2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: added another section from the interview
    FyredUp and FF715MRFD like this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information