Thread: Helmet lights?

Forum Member

Default Helmet lights?

What light would be good for a mounted light? I got others on my dept that says no led lights and others that love them. I looked into the FoxFury command 20 but our chief doesn't think they work well. So any other suggestions?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFD12 View Post
    What light would be good for a mounted light? I got others on my dept that says no led lights and others that love them. I looked into the FoxFury command 20 but our chief doesn't think they work well. So any other suggestions?
    Is your department buying it for you? If not, who cares what the Chief thinks?
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

No but we have our names on our helmets instead of the coat cause we are a volunteer dept.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

No but we have our names on our helmets instead of the coat cause we are a volunteer dept.
    Pardon me but what the heck does this have to do with what MemphisE34 asked you?

Here is my opinion on helmet lights, you can take it or leave it. I have a hard time justifying spending a lot of money on a helmet light. Over the years I have melted some of the flashlights on my helmet and I have lost others. As far as LED lights go, the newer ones are better than the older generation LEDs. The older ones were more a flood than a spot and the light seemed to not penetrate smoke at all. The newer ones are more focused and do a better job.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Is there a specific brand that has been better then others you have tried?

Forum Member

I use a Streamlight Vantage and I absolutely love it. That being said, I agree with Fyred, I don't see the point of spending a bunch of money on something that can so easily be lost or destroyed. If I wouldn't have won mine in a giveaway I'd still be using the old "disposable" lights most of the rest of the guys use, and when this one dies that's what I'll go back to.

Forum Member

Is there a specific brand that has been better then others you have tried?
    Right now on one FD I have a disposable Garrity light on one helmet and a UK 4AA at the other FD. Frankly, I use the xl90 Survivor on my coat more often than a helmet light. That xl90 is an LED and I really like that light.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I have a Coleman camping flashlight in a custom mount on both helmets at both departments. Single LED, 90 Lumens, got it on clearance for $5.

Here's my thought process on helmet lights. I agree with Fyred, keep it cheap, however I don't give the slightest care in the world if it penetrates smoke, that's what the Streamlight on my coat is for. I have a light on my helmet for seeing in the dark. That's it. Outside on a night structure fire, night MVC, night EMS call, whatever. I use it to see what I'm doing when it's dark out. I don't give a second thought to using my helmet light in an IDLH, because I carry a light strapped to my coat for that.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Let's talk fire trucks!

I use a Streamlight Vantage on my helmet and love it. Very lightweight and very bright.

I find it helpful not only routine night calls, but in the smoky environment as well. It's also helpful when I'm spending hours in the burn building teaching recruits, building fires, and the like.

I've yet to be in a fire and think to myself, "there's just too much light in here" so I use it in conjunction with my Survivor light on my coat.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I've yet to be in a fire and think to myself, "there's just too much light in here" so I use it in conjunction with my Survivor light on my coat.
    I agree, which is what spawns this second post. I did say, "I have a light on my helmet for seeing in the dark. That's it." but after your post I feel like I need to elaborate a bit.

I'm not saying I don't ever have my helmet light on when I go inside, however I've never put any credence into relying solely on my helmet light for interior fire operations. I've always had a light on my coat for that. My helmet light has always been my backup to my backup. Both my departments just issued Streamlight's, so I have those on my coat, as well as the two personal right angle Streamlights I had before in my pocket, one at each department.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

Get a Garrity and be done with it, so when it melts you'll only be out $4.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by todaroof View Post
    get a garrity and be done with it, so when it melts you'll only be out $4.
    bing freaking o!!
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Dept. issues a fox fury commander 20 and it is good helmet light. On metro helmets it has a tendency to fall off though. I have a streamlight on my coat and would recommend it highly.
    I would have a nice helmet light whether the dept. provided one or not.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by ToDaRoof View Post
    Get a Garrity and be done with it, so when it melts you'll only be out $4.
    My metal one hasn't melted in 3 years and hundreds of burns. ;-)

Forum Member

I also have to agree with the other guys that said that the helmet light is their secondary. I've got a Streamlight Survivor on my coat and that is what provides most of my lighting. The Vantage on my helmet does a good job too, but the Survivor on my coat does better. Also, if I'm not on the nozzle I will typically be carrying one of our Vulcan box lights along with my others. Lots of options out there to look at other than expensive helmet lights.

Forum Member

Thanks to all for the info!

Forum Member

Was that a Jedi mind trick. I think you got me....
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Well, I like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    Well, I like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
    Grape or Strawberry?

Chunky or Creamy?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Grape or Strawberry?

Chunky or Creamy?
    Grape, with creamy Skippy. It HAS to be Skippy.

Anyway, back on topic. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I can't tell you how many different brands and models of lights I've seen on helmets, and that's just in my two departments. It's another personal preference choice, and for me I won't fork out $120 for a Vantage, because I have a tendency to wreck things on my helmet. To each their own.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Grape or Strawberry?

Chunky or Creamy?
    Grape, apple, or Blackberry.

Skippy or Peter Pan, creamy or Chunky.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I have a FoxFury command 20 so does about 5 others on my dept. I truthfully love it .A dept near me gives it to their members as standard issue, they love it. Iíve read reviews that the band is junk...idk what light they got but I or no one Iíve ever talked to have ever had any issues. But the band is rubber and we all know what happens to rubber when it get hot.
    That being said the light is awesome cuts though light to moderate smoke. Has a wide angle of light,one of the thing i love about it. Helps keeps u from getting tunnel vision. Over all I love the light. I trust my life with it every day.

MembersZone Subscriber

I use a Streamlight Poly Tac 90 (45 bucks) on the FRONT on my helmet. It works great when using a GUTS HM1 bracket because I can rotate the light to shine down or forward. I agree the helmet light is secondary but I still use it a lot. My primary light is the Streamlight Survivor LED. I like the LED lights because it uses less battery power & thus runs longer.

Forum Member

The old throw away Garrity lights are always a good way to go (they cost like 3 bucks), I had previously been using a Brinkman light. Aluminum construction with LED bulbs, only problems the push button was really tough to push with gloves on so I took it off my helmet and put it on my radio strap for a light source on EMS runs and such.

Forum Member

Personally I use always have a Survivor LED affixed to my coat. Its probably the most dependable light I have come across.

I hate helmet lights and hate when people use them at fires. Thats great that it lights up whatever you look at for you, but it also blinds anyone you look at if you don't turn the thing off. If anything as stated the old school gerraghty light is not so bad because it is a cheapo moderate power light. The new LED stuff is just too powerful to be hitting people in the eyes with in an otherwise 0 visibility environment.

Where I volly, a bunch of guys purchased the streamlight vantage in the last year and its essentially a high power tactical weapon light mounted to your helmet. Its way too much.

That said, I greatly prefer the light from a halogen over LED simply because LEDs can be so bright they turn into a laser beam and I also prefer the hue of a halogen over the true white of an LED.

If I really wanted to get a light and money was no option, I would be buying the brightstar lighthawk. Weighs next to nothing for its size and its powerful. Sadly its $250 so no thanks.

Other solid options for you to consider are the PowerPlus series of lights that can be had with charger for $150 or the streamlight vulcan.
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 09-26-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Thread Information