Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default SCBA Cost increase

Is there any word on if AFG is going to raise the cost limits on SCBA since the new standards are here and cost for the new versions of SCBA are higher?

I certainly hope they don't, it will just be a giant waste of our already limited funds. I received bids from two very prominent manufacturers for 2013 standard SCBA both under $5,400.

I suspect that many vendors will try to use this new standard as an excuse to make more profit.
    Last edited by SLY4420; 09-11-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Gotta agree with Sly here. I don't think AFG is going to raise the max price limit and so far I am having no problems finding 2013 edition quoted at $5500.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok great. I hope they don't. One thing about AFG on SCBA's they are keeping costs down. I would hate to see what a SCBA would cost if AFG didnt have any limits.

A few years back certain vendors were quoting in excess of $6000 for their packs with 2 bottles.
    AFG put their cap at $5250 and son of a gun if those same vendors figured out they could sell them to us for 5k with no problem.

Just shows how much gouging they were trying to do, till they got the word they weren't going to sell too many units at 6k each.

MembersZone Subscriber

Would the AFG designated limit per pack include any accessories such as fit testing apparatus and extra masks to accomodate proper fitting?

Forum Member

Each pack comes with one mask. You can ask for 1 pack per seated position on your vehicles, minus any packs that are newer (ie you are replacing 1997 packs, but you own 4 2007 packs). AFG allows for 1 mask per member, so you can request as a separate budget item enough masks so everyone can have their own mask. So if you have 30 seated positions and 50 firefighters, you could request 20 more masks without a problem.

Fit test equipment would have to be a separate item. If, after competitive bidding there is money left over, you could conceivably use the excess to buy a fit test machine. But if you make a good case for the tester, ie a mask is not safe unless it is properly fit, and it is an OSHA and NFPA requirement, I don't think it would hurt your grant, unless you are right at the cost benefit borderline.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fit Tester

Since a fit tester will sit un-used most of the time perhaps you could include in the grant you will share the fit tested with other communites, mutual aid district, etc... Might help you win the hearts and minds of the reviewers.
    Mark

MembersZone Subscriber

What do the experts believe the Cost Benefit borderline to be for SCBA this time around?

Thread Information