Forum Member

Default Stainless tank corrosion

We're having a problem with our 2000 gallon stainless, eliptical tanker. On many of the welds there is visible corrosion spots and some of them are even leaking. Has anyone else ever come across this issue, and if so, what did you do about it? Its only 4 years old!

Forum Member

Wow - can I ask what brand?

I have a mini pumper that's a 1988 with a steal tank that's never leaked.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Just to be sure - it IS a stainless tank, not a poly tank with a stainless wrap?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Default More info

Yes, it's really a stainless tank, not a wrapped poly. I'd rather not say what brand because I don't want this to be about "who's better". Let's just say it's a major manufacturer that Has an outside firm make thier stainless tanks for them. Tank has a 20 year warranty and so far the manufacturer is taking care of it. We're being told it's being caused by the "pond water" we sometimes refill with. Not sure if I'm completely sold on that diagnosis. They're reccomending we clean the tank and dry it after every 6 uses, then refill with hydrant water, which is hard for us since we don't have any and have to go to a neighboring town to get it.

Forum Member

Question Hmmmmmmm?

I've worked with various types of metals all my life. That includes many "types" of Stainless Steel. Just because it is labeled "Stainless" does not mean it will not rust. Ever buy some of that TV advertised "Stainless Steel" cutlery? Yes, it's stainless but, it is a very low grade stainless therefore it will rust eventually.
    If I'm correct, your tank should be made out of a 300 series stainless steel as well as the welds. If the welding material has a different chemical composition than the surrounding mating pieces, it may very well rust.
    I've personally seen many stainless steel tanks that have and will last more than our lifetime.
    I would question the company on "exactly" what was used to manufacture your tank. Seeing that it is an outside supplier, something may have changed without anyone knowing.
    Either way, if it has started to corrode and is leaking now, I would get a whole new tank under your warranty.
    Trust me, "Pond water" is not acid! We use it all the time....

Good Luck and keep us informed as to how you make out.

Forum Member

When I worked for a mid-western manufacturer several years ago we had a stainless steel tank in NJ doing the exact same thing. We had an independent company come in to test the tank and they determined that it was, if, fact a problem due to the pond water. If I remember correctly it was a result of microbes from the water getting into the welds or something along those lines. So you could be having the same problem. I vividly remember that for them to clean it out so we could repair it they wore those hazardous material suits and filter masks while inside the tank. Kind of surprised me since the tank had only ever held water.
    The fire company was advised to fill up from hydrants whenever possible and to flush the tank if they had to be filled from a pond/river during a tanker operation.

Forum Member

Dept near us has a major brand stainless elliptical tanker with the same issues. It has been repaired several times under warrantee, including removing the rear bulkhead to get to the baffle plates inside that had broken loose from corrosion. It must be about 10 years old at this point.

Forum Member

Could a person add some sort of wet water to keep the tank from leaking?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Stainless Tank Corrosion

The best choice for stainless storage tanks is alloy 304L or 316L
    The L is for low carbon. The welding wire also has to be 304L or 316L
    This combination gives the best low carbon welds.
    If the higher carbon versions of stainless are used, there can be what is known as Carbon Precipitation in the welds. This results in a higher carbon content that can be prone to corrosion in the welds under certain circumstances.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFire123 View Post
    Could a person add some sort of wet water to keep the tank from leaking?
    Uh, "wet water" lowers surface tension of the water, ergo, it would leak MORE.

If microorganisms are possibly a problem, you can add bleach or clorine tablets like you do in a pool every so often to kill them. Just don't use it for drinking water, ever.
    Last edited by johnsb; 09-30-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Thread Information