Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Internal Training: FF1-2

Hi, I am writing to bounce some ideas off of people, and ask a few questions. A while back I did a similar thread, but now I have some new information and I figured it makes no sense to revive a old thread. Sorry admins if this isn't okay, feel free to waive your magic wand and make it all one .

Anyway, I recently joined up with a new (second) vollie department, and they seem to do things quite a bit differently. My other department, when you join up you become an Exterior Firefighter and get on the job training for exterior work (ladders, etc)--no Scott pak work-- until you can go and complete your FF1-2 at the academy.

This one however does all their training internally to the level of FF1-2. I had never heard of this, so I turn to you guys to see if you perhaps have. Essentially you are given a packet of various skills, and you have to get proficiency signatures. They essentially run through the entire curriculum for the FF courses, including Hazmat (after all we house one of the states only Hazmat trailers...).

Now this is great, but since this brigade is at Uni, I won't be here for ever-- and they know that-- so my question for you is, if I do all this classroom and practical stuff, is there any way to take the FF1-2 exams (written and practical) without having to go through the 'class' again?

Sorry if it seems like I am trying to cut corners, as I am not!

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Highschoolvolunteer View Post
    Hi, I am writing to bounce some ideas off of people, and ask a few questions. A while back I did a similar thread, but now I have some new information and I figured it makes no sense to revive a old thread. Sorry admins if this isn't okay, feel free to waive your magic wand and make it all one .

Anyway, I recently joined up with a new (second) vollie department, and they seem to do things quite a bit differently. My other department, when you join up you become an Exterior Firefighter and get on the job training for exterior work (ladders, etc)--no Scott pak work-- until you can go and complete your FF1-2 at the academy.

This one however does all their training internally to the level of FF1-2. I had never heard of this, so I turn to you guys to see if you perhaps have. Essentially you are given a packet of various skills, and you have to get proficiency signatures. They essentially run through the entire curriculum for the FF courses, including Hazmat (after all we house one of the states only Hazmat trailers...).

Now this is great, but since this brigade is at Uni, I won't be here for ever-- and they know that-- so my question for you is, if I do all this classroom and practical stuff, is there any way to take the FF1-2 exams (written and practical) without having to go through the 'class' again?

Sorry if it seems like I am trying to cut corners, as I am not!
    Generally, the answer is as simple as is there a method of challenging the test in your state? The other qualifier is if there is no challenge is your VFD a state recognized training site?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Call the state b people who do the certifications

And get the answer directly from the horses mouth

Question:

Once all this training is done do you get certified, do you get the piece of paper??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Generally, the answer is as simple as is there a method of challenging the test in your state? The other qualifier is if there is no challenge is your VFD a state recognized training site?
    What exactly is challenging the test?

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Highschoolvolunteer View Post
    What exactly is challenging the test?
    Some states will allow you to challenge a cert test, in other words, you can take the written and practical test without having taking the state course. Sometimes you have to prove what training you have had or time on the FD. usually a letter from your chief or training officer covers that. Not all states or training agencies allow challenges. In most cases I am opposed to them, unless you came from another state and were already certified there and your new state doesn't have reciprosity.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 09-13-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Call whoever does certification and ask all the questions

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Call whoever does certification and ask all the questions
    Thank you gents for the assistance. I will ask tomorrow at their academy-- I got swamped with stuff, hence why it took so long to get back to you.

Forum Member

I concur!!!

Thread Information