Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By snowball
  • 1 Post By fire49

Thread: Converting to iPads

Forum Member

Default Converting to iPads

I am looking for info on any departments that have switched to iPads instead of toughbooks as their MDT's. My dept is considering it and I was hoping to get some feedback on pros & cons, your SOP's, and overall impressions on this technology. Thanks

Forum Member
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

We upgraded. It gives you real time street view, but you gotta drive real slow because bumpy roads make the screen hard to see.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  13.5 KB
    conrad427 and jwilkins3 like this.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    We upgraded. It gives you real time street view, but you gotta drive real slow because bumpy roads make the screen hard to see.

Attachment 23065
    Same model we use, but you gotta bring your own.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

We have toughbook MDT for dispatch notes. For mapping we have a samsung tablet with CAD page program on it we use for mapping when the call goes out about 5 seconds latter the tablet alerts and allows you to map it. Our MDT can do mapping but it can not do both notes and mapping at the same time, and it takes to long to load maps from the note page so its not practical.

Forum Member

This is pretty neat

http://www.active911.com/

Have no connection and do not know what all the features it has

Used it on the iPhone and what I liked showed map of incident and how to get there

Forum Member

Thanks for the help! Does anyone have any documentation / sops / budgets they could share that deal with their mdts or ipads?

Forum Member

I saw the TFLD I work for draw a map with a dry erase marker that covered the entire side of his chase rig one time. Pretty effective but I suppose a lot more money than an I pad.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

[QUOTE=fire49;1383603]This is pretty neat

My department uses this program, we have effectively replaced the old minitor pagers with the application. The app sounds at the same time the dispatch is being dictated. It has a map feature and you can choose google or apple maps, and if you choose to, you can input hydrants onto the maps as well. It will display dispatchers notes just like on the MDT. Overall it's the best app of its kind on the market and is functional with iPhones and Androids.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=cemerson2012;1385849]
    Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    This is pretty neat

My department uses this program, we have effectively replaced the old minitor pagers with the application. The app sounds at the same time the dispatch is being dictated. It has a map feature and you can choose google or apple maps, and if you choose to, you can input hydrants onto the maps as well. It will display dispatchers notes just like on the MDT. Overall it's the best app of its kind on the market and is functional with iPhones and Androids.
    What happens is you lose cell service? To my knowledge all the cell carriers refuse to let apps be a primary or sole communications method for emergency services as they will not guarantee service 24/7/365 at the same speed.

That said, the Iamresponding system also have an app that allows dispatch CAD to send texts through the system and is auto-linked to Google maps. But they warn that the system is not a primary dispatch tool.

Forum Member

I should have explained further, it is not the primary method of contact for responders on shift or chiefs. It is only to utelized for firefighter's like myself who live in the district who can respond to mass casualty incidents or large fires where additional personell would be required. The traditional Motorolla pagers are still used by full time and command personell. It's just nice to have the run sent to your phone where you can read notes and confirm an address without having to ask for it again from dispatch or replaying it from your pager. The ability to add hydrants to the maps is really its greatest feature, much easier than searching on an MDT or flipping through a binder

Forum Member

I can put you in touch with the guy from C'ville that set the program up if you'd like. PM me.

Forum Member

Scratch that, just read the last post, C'ville's system is for the apparatus.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=RFDACM02;1385861]
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson2012 View Post
    That said, the Iamresponding system also have an app that allows dispatch CAD to send texts through the system and is auto-linked to Google maps. But they warn that the system is not a primary dispatch tool.
    We use IAR - so far it's been pretty useful, and it also allows for stuff like paging for work details without bothering county dispatch (although we still do for some events).

Only a few of our people use the scheduling capability, and not enough are using the response portion (which will show their response status on a monitor at the station). The app is kinda slow. I'm within a minute or two of the station, so having to wait for it to get where it's gotta go is a pain - one reason some people don't bother.

But, back to basics - every time someone says they want to dump their pager, I tell them that IAR (as with other similar products) will not guarantee itself as a primary notification. In fact, the county will not guarantee the text pages that are necessary for IAR and others to work. They go through the county e-mail server, and if that's down, so is text paging. It's something to consider.

One nice feature of such products, however, is the ability to get the pages no matter where you are. Helps you keep your finger on the pulse of the department.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Thread Information