Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CaptOldTimer
  • 1 Post By tree68

Thread: When it happens to one of your own.

Forum Member

Default When it happens to one of your own.

Now this is most likely the rookie in me speaking so please bear with me. How many of you have had calls to one of your dept members houses? Last night was my first time in this situation. Our team quickly got the fire out, but extensive smoke damage was suffered and our camrade is out of a house. Can anyone share their experiences when faced with such a situation? should there be more emotional attachment to this type of fire, or should it just be buisness as usual like every other fire?

Forum Member

I've been to fires in members homes and we do the same
    thing as if it was Mrs. Jones across town. We put the fire out with less possible damage that we can prevent. Just because folks have insurance, we still try to minimize the damage and respect to them whether they are rich or poor.

I also have had several calls to my old home years back. The furnace back fired one night and the other was the stove in the kitchen caught fire. Both times the FD was outstanding and did their job with the minimum of damage and inconvenience to me.

You treat your customers like it was your home you were called to to put out a fire.
    Nick_Miller likes this.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

What the Cap said regarding the initial response.

Many times a burnt-out homeowner will need help post-fire beyond what the insurance company provides. If that's the case, help out your brother/sister if you can. That might include a few days off (or weekends, or evenings) spent helping to rebuild something, or maybe just bringing in a few cans of food to get them through the rough spots.

They'll let folks know what they need. If they don't want/need the help - honor their wishes. Moral support, of course, is almost always appreciated.
    fire49 likes this.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Tree

Well said

Forum Member

Agreed. I went back to the house with him today as the state fire inspector was here, and told him if there is anything he needs to let us know. also behind the scenes I've worked a few angles with the director of the local chamber of commerce who said they would help get the word out as well.

as far as the response went it was business as usual, but afterwards seeing the pain he was in was effecting me emotionally as well. however as the evening has passed a bit more its gotten easier. however my emotions pale in comparison to our brother.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daped01 View Post
    as far as the response went it was business as usual, but afterwards seeing the pain he was in was effecting me emotionally as well. however as the evening has passed a bit more its gotten easier. however my emotions pale in comparison to our brother.
    Remember that emotion on every fire you go to. Someone is feeling that way every time. So when you are mopping up and someone starts to make jokes about the incredibly tacky furniture / decorations / carpet, you don't get involved. Remember that feeling and say something to keep everyone professional and respectful.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    Remember that emotion on every fire you go to. Someone is feeling that way every time. So when you are mopping up and someone starts to make jokes about the incredibly tacky furniture / decorations / carpet, you don't get involved. Remember that feeling and say something to keep everyone professional and respectful.

wow, I never thought about things that way. Makes a lot of sense! thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daped01 View Post
    wow, I never thought about things that way. Makes a lot of sense! thanks
    Then you have a p!ss poor training officer. When I teach intro , I hope they remember the tetrahedron , but I know they will remember the respect part of their training.
    ?

Thread Information