Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By tree68
  • 1 Post By BoxAlarm187
  • 1 Post By dfwfirefighter
  • 1 Post By cemerson2012

Thread: Adding Some Tradition to a New Firehouse

Forum Member

Default Adding Some Tradition to a New Firehouse

My volunteer department just recently built and moved into two new stations. I am interested in adding some touches of historical value to the buildings. So far I have come up with an old fire alarm call box for the station phone in the bay and a red cage light to go on the outside of the bay for when we are on calls (much like Charleston still does on some of their stations). Other than that what can you guys think of? Station is single story so no pole.

Thanks!
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Assuming these two stations replace older facilities - don't forget to document the older facilities. Photos on the wall of activities in the old station (including apparatus and the names of those appearing in the photos) are important, as well as whatever may have come over from the old facilities.

Even a seemingly insignificant artifact, like a key to the door, or some "infamous" fixture (ie, that faucet that always dripped), help to document the progression.

If these are completely new facilities that don't replace anything, I'd suggest looking for items that reflect the traditions of the existing station(s).
    RangerJake72 and RangerJake72 like this.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Anything you can get of historical significance to the department, photos of old apparatus / stations, major fires, past patches out dated equipment etc.

Any of these can be used to make fairly inexpensive display pieces to remember those who came before.

New traditions can be started as well, such as annual photos of the crews working out of the station. They may be young guys now, but some day those who stick around will be the captains, chiefs and those crabby old firefighters full of knowledge if you can make it through their war stories.

It is great when you can look though old photos on the wall and see the old farts when they were just punk kids. It is amazing how fast that happens too.

Let's talk fire trucks!

When we moved into our new station in November 2011, we took the old wooden letters off the old station and mounted them to a nice finished piece of wood and placed that in our meeting room. Additionally, we also had custom a custom shelving unit (with glass doors) incorporated into the wall of the meeting room, where we placed several things in there to show where we came from:
    - An example of each generation of helmet issued
    - An example of each kind of portable radio we've used
    - The cancelled check that we wrote to a neighboring department purchasing three used fire engines for $500 - the rigs our department got started with
    - Our original ledger
    - The very first turnout coat the department got (donated from the nearby city fire department) as well as the very first turnout coat we actually purchased
    - Several styles of licenses plates used over the years

We also put a refurbished Gamewell box on the front of the station, complete with red bulb. Eventually this will have a drop-down phone in it to call the dispatcher in case someone wants to report an emergency when the station isn't staffed.

Get some large photos made showing your units at the old station, personnel throughout the years, and similar items. Preserve history now for future generations!
    RangerJake72 likes this.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

When I was in New Jersey , I noticed a lot of the fire departments had pictures of EVERY chief that had served. There were a few pictures of just a helmet , but the chiefs name and length of service was noted.
    ?

Forum Member

We have done a good job of preserving our department's history. We have the signs from both old stations and they will be put up in the bay of the new stations. There is a display case in the lobby with old helmets, radios, nozzles, appliances, etc. We have pictures of former members and apparatus. I even have our first receipts from when we paid state firefighters association dues in the 50s.

I will take the ideas given here and run with them. Just want to preserve as much as possible.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

My last Battalion Chief was HUGE on tradition. Our procedures still state that upon receipt of an alarm, the watchman will sound the gong three times and announce the rig dispatched and the address over the PA..... I'm pretty sure we were the only house in the city that still did that as it was obviously intended for use in the day of telephone alarms and joker tapes.

Alot of guys hated it, but it was definitely something cool to connect us with the men on the job before us.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Edit.... double post
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

When my department has replaced a fire station with a new facility, typically those who "open up" the new location are usually the ones put forth alot of effort to capture some of the essence of the old station. Some examples are:

1) Removing the dedication plaque from the previous station and mounting it somewhere in the new one.

2) Removing the City logo, address numbers and letters, and etc. from the previous firehouse and re-installing them on the new facility.

3) Furniture and stuff from the previous facility (i.e. old lockers, the watch desk, a kitchen table that a firefighter built, and etc.) are relocated to the new facility for use. Obviously, their condition will dictate their ability to be reused. You don't want to move "junk" from one place to another - only the good stuff that has sentimental value.

4) One aspect I like is the re-use of the old, wooden speakers that hung throughout the old station. They are taken down, often refinished, and reused in the new facility.

5) Find a place in the station - the hallway, a watch room, or station library - and hang photos of previously-assigned members, apparatus, and etc. It highlights the history of that particular company even if they've moved locations a few times.

One thing I've seen alot of stations start to do is order a helmet front to mount on a wooden plaque for each member who has retired from the department while assigned at that particular house. Some stations have gone as far as to research retirees and order a helmet front for each one of them. Typically the front will display the retiree's name, rank, date hired, and date retired.
    RangerJake72 likes this.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

I am a huge believer in having old photos from fires and events in plain sight so that the history of the department is not forgotten. The suggestion to have a photo of every previous chief is an excellent idea as well. My current department has the standard paintings and iconic pictures that just about every firehouse has these day, in addition, we have presentation letters from every recent apparatus purchase. Photos of old apparatus, an old ax, or an old brass cellar nozzle are great additions to any collection. My first department had scorecards from golf outings and softball games against the cops from 70's which were always cool to look at. The department had the last beer from the drink machine and the date and lanterns and water cans from the original firehouse built in the 40's. I could go on for hours about how important having those things around for members and the public to see. It instilled a different kind of appreciation for the departments past and tradition.
    slackjawedyokel likes this.

Thread Information