Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 15 day EMT course/ Could use some advice

@conrad427 - Thank you! A little off topic, but...You can be busy as hell and still be in a fantasy football league!! I am I just set my lineup at the beginning of the week and only check it on Sunday when my team (49er's) are playing.

Forum Member

No problem. Yeah CALFIRE doesnt get paid alot, matter of fact we get paid less than majority of the paid departments in California. You have to work more than 5 seasons before you can start making goooooood money. But we are an all risk department so we go on medical aids, vehicle accidents, public assists, structure fires, etc. So you gain alot of experience and you work 72 hours on and then 96 hours off ( 3 on 4 off). If you can take the academy, it will be very beneficial for your future in the fire service.

Forum Member

You could go to NCTI in Livermore. They have an EMT course starting Jan 6, ending March 22nd. 2 nights a week and all day Saturday. Whats the company your thinking about offering the 15 day course? Also, guessing your applying to SJFD? I am too.
    FF14 likes this.

@tattedfire86 - Thanks for the info. I'll look into it(just need to get my driver's license by then).
    The company I found was Silicon Valley Ambulance company. Yes, I did apply with SJFD, but it looks like if I can't get my EMT done by April, I won't get hired this time around. Most likely, I will be put on the list for the next academy the department will have (maybe in 2015). Do you live around SJ and do you have your EMT?

Forum Member

@ FF14

make sure to at least get enrolled in an EMT class by April or you wont be put on a list. The list is good for two years from April ( so expires April 2016) and depending where you rank on the list you can qualify to get hired. But like I said, without EMT they may not even accept your application.

@Gino_Galli

Thanks for the heads up. I definitely will be enrolled in an EMT class by April.

@Tattedfire86 - I saw your message on my page. I tried to pm you, but you don't have it set up. - I wish you the best of luck with SJFD. They are a really great department to work for. If you have any questions or want to do any ride-alongs with the department, just message me. I will hook you up with some really great captains.

Thread Information