Forum Member

Default Question of Vehicle Grant 2013

For the past several years my department has applied for a new Engine during the AFG grants. We have never made it past the computer scoring. If we could only make it to peer review I believe we would be funded. We are a small deparment with a population if 2500 and cover 15 miles. We have just over a 100 runs a year. We have 2 trucks that are 37 years old. In the past I have been counting these trucks as primary trucks. I think this is what is hurting us. However one of the trucks is actually a reserve truck. It rarely responds to calls. When it does it is just for support such as a service company. Neither truck has passed pump test since 2006. They are both open cab. So my question is does it matter durning computer scoring if the truck is in reserve or a service company? It will still show that you have two engines. Last year I asked for $265,000. Is that too much?

Forum Member

Average vehicle app. this year was a little over 300k. Remember, don't ask for a Cadillac when a volks wagon will do.
    I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by madfirelieutenant View Post
    For the past several years my department has applied for a new Engine during the AFG grants. We have never made it past the computer scoring. If we could only make it to peer review I believe we would be funded. We are a small deparment with a population if 2500 and cover 15 miles. We have just over a 100 runs a year. We have 2 trucks that are 37 years old. In the past I have been counting these trucks as primary trucks. I think this is what is hurting us. However one of the trucks is actually a reserve truck. It rarely responds to calls. When it does it is just for support such as a service company. Neither truck has passed pump test since 2006. They are both open cab. So my question is does it matter durning computer scoring if the truck is in reserve or a service company? It will still show that you have two engines. Last year I asked for $265,000. Is that too much?

If you want to give me a call at 863-551-9598 I'll be glad to discuss your particular circumstances and see if I can shed any light on why you are having problems as a courtesy. I am in office till Wednesday afternoon then headed out to S Pacific to Guam to teach class so if you are going to call do it soon.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

The 1 primary 1 reserve doesn't mean anything significant that would be the cause of you not making it past the computer scoring. With only 100 awards in 4400+ apps there were only 200-300 got read, and everyone that doesn't make Peer gets the same letter whether you were .1 off of being in Peer or scored a 10 out of 100 and were far off from making it. Anything over 20 years old will be competitive, and if you're at $265k you're on the lower end of the pricing scale for a Class A pumper which means if all other things are equal if someone else is asking for $300k you'll beat them.

So keep the course and stick the app back in again. Only 1 of our truck awards this year was the first time the department applied. All the others were the 2nd or more. With so little money going to things that are so expensive it will take multiple years in most cases for apparatus awards to come through. So if you can't buy the truck, keep applying for it. Paying 5-10% next year or 2 years from now still beats paying 100% plus interest over 10 years.
    Brian P. Vickers
    CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
    FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
    www.helpmewithgrants.com
    www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Thread Information