Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By paulLepore

Thread: how would you answer this?

Forum Member

Default how would you answer this?

How would you handle an order that would place you in great danger or is morally wrong?

Forum Member

Interview question
    Or real life???

Two questions or one

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Interview question
    Or real life???

Two questions or one
    Sorry, it's an interview question.. just one

Forum Member

sounds like two questions

anyway

for safety, I might ask the higher ranking person that I see this going on, and feel it may be a safety issue. Than see what the repsonse was, maybe the higher ranking person was not aware of it. Now if the higher ranking person says yes aI am aware of it, but doe this, just maybe they know a little more. And, may restate the safety concern to the higher ranking person.

As for moral, I think I would state that this does not appear to be a good situation to put oursleves in and just possibly there is a sop to back the postion. If told to go ahead and do it, hopefully there is a third party that hears your concerns in front of the higher ranking person. Now if just out right morally wrong or you know it goes agaisnt department policy, would say beacuse of that I cannot follow th order.

Forum Member

There is a saying that we go by " If you don't feel say or right about doing something than you don't do it." Good chance is if you feel it is morally wrong than society probably feels the same way.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcrittenden1983 View Post
    There is a saying that we go by " If you don't feel say or right about doing something than you don't do it." Good chance is if you feel it is morally wrong than society probably feels the same way.

Mic answer just do not think it is an interview answer

Forum Member

How would you handle an order that would place you in great danger or is morally wrong?

Hello all,
    In my mind these are two separate questions, even though they may have been grouped together as one.

In order to answer the question in its original format, I would break down my answer into two parts. Please allow me to explain.

I understand that the job is inherently dangerous. If I were given an order that placed me in undue danger I would go back to my officer and explain my concerns. If he or she tells me that they are aware of my concerns and still feel like itís safe to proceed, I would follow through with the order. The reason I am going to do this is because I believe my officer has my best interests in mind. He or she does not want to give me a directive that would cause me to be injured or killed.

The reality is that you have minimal experience. We spend time teaching you the signs of imminent collapse or signs of danger on the fire ground. We expect you to speak up. After you have made your officer aware of the impending danger, we expect you to follow his or her directive. Itís possible that you may have raised something that the officer may have missed. In this case, you will not be asked to follow the order.

If the officer sees what you see and still tells you to proceed (which is very likely), our expectation is that you will follow the order. We are a para-military organization. Imagine failing to follow a direct order in the military. You would be court martialed. As a probationary firefighter you will be terminated.

If this all sounds confusing, keep in mind that the Officerís sole responsibility is to keep you safe. No Officer wants to have somebody under their command get injured or killed. This is the worst thing any of us could ever imagine. Before we give an order we have gone through an extensive risk versus benefit analysis of how safe it is to proceed. In this question the Officer has determined that itís safe to put you in harmís way (remember the job is dangerous and we take calculated risks). Knowing this, the Officer has determined that this situation is worth putting you (the crew) at risk. Lastly, no Officer would ask you to do anything that we would not (or have not done) ourselves. Lastly, when I was a Fire Captain I told my wife that if she heard on the news that a member off of my engine company had been killed that she did not have to wait and hope that it was not me. I promised her that if anyone on my crew was going to lose their life that it would be me. I would never put my crew in more danger than myself. In other words, I was always going to be the one in the most risky position and I was always going to be the last one out.
    I hope this helps you with this part of the question.

For the next part, I find it hard to believe that your Officer is going to put you in a position that will challenge your morals. We usually reserve this question to say that itís a fellow firefighter, or the Engineer. Whichever the case, you are not going to compromise your morals on ANY situation. This is completely unacceptable.
    CaptOldTimer and SL425 like this.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

As far as the danger part of the question, I just answered like this:

"Bring it to the attention of my superior and trust they make the right call. I understand and accept the inherent dangers of ths job but if, for example, a collapse is imminent and I'd be walking into certain death, I wouldn't do it."

Just as I wouldn't walk through an obviously booby trapped door even if my platoon commander ordered it.

Saying you'd obey an order regardless of the consequence is asinine.

Thread Information