Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CaptOldTimer

Thread: Pros/Cons of joining the Air National Guard as a firefighter

Forum Member

Default Pros/Cons of joining the Air National Guard as a firefighter

I'm not sure where I should have posted this..

A friend of mine suggested that maybe I should join the Air National Guard as a firefighter. I was wondering what the pros and cons are of joining the National Guard?

Thank you!

Forum Member

Do you really want to be in the military

Why are you joining

Forum Member

Right now, I am only thinking about joining. I see it as another way of getting experience. I have never really wanted to be in the military, but it's always been in the back of my mind as another avenue.

Forum Member

Most military fd's do not fight much fire plus they use to be way behind city departments in firefighting

Once in you cannot just walk in a quit, so you could be miserable or take a real bad hit on your employment record if they kick you out

Forum Member

Thank you!

Forum Member

I know of a lot on Air Guard Firefighters, who by the way career firefighters in the area which the Air Guard is located. They serve their home department and also the State's Air Guard, earning rank and time which is creditable toward a retirement there. They may get deployed overseas for several weeks to several months. The local department has to let them go and hold their current position back at home, so when they return their job is still there.

You may have to attend drills on weekends but that is part of the job. Most of the guys I know work a opposite shift than they do at the local FD. In cession it is a part time job, with great benefits.

You stated that you "have never really wanted to be in the military". What a shame. A lot of members are veterans of the armed services.

By the way the Boston FD recently hire 51 new members to go through their rigorous recruit school. All 51 were US Veterans! They had an edge of those who desire not to serve.
    BackSteppin likes this.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

"You stated that you "have never really wanted to be in the military". What a shame" - I am curious? Why do you say it's a shame?

Thank you for the info.

Forum Member

I have litte regard for folks who havve no desire to be in the military or make a statement like that.

If you pass all the hoops and jump all the hurdles and are invited for an interview and the chief or someone ask you have ever served in the military, do make that same statement to them. Simply say no I haven't. If asked why, say something nice like I was trying to get my education and a career started. I may join the Air Guard,

A lot of older chiefs would frown on that statement, which shows you might not fit in the fire services as it is para military.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Thank you for your opinion. I am sorry you have little regard for people who have no desire to be in the military. Here is my opinion: I am only 19. Also, with the wars that the US has been fighting, there was a big chance of being shipped out. And as you state: I was trying to get my education and a career started. I will have to say, you were spot on about that one.

"A lot of older chiefs would frown on that statement, which shows you might not fit in the fire services as it is para military." - Just because I'm not in the military, doesn't mean that I'm not fit for the fire service. There are a lot of other things that make a person fit for the fire service.

Forum Member

Last edited by BackSteppin; 09-25-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Forum Member

Thank you for trying to clarify what CaptOldTimer was saying. I understand completely that the fire service is a lot like the military. The part that gets me is: someone who hasn't been in the military can't learn the discipline and work ethic of being in the fire service? Not to toot my own horn, but I have been working 7 days a weeks since I was 16. I understand completely what discipline and good work ethic is. Don't get me wrong, I know that if I DO get in to the fire service, I will have a lot to learn, but I feel that if someone has learn good discipline/work ethics growing up, they can succeed in the fire service just like someone who has served the military can.

Forum Member

It may be more that some of the more current generations think the military is bad

And he may want to remind us that the military helped create this country and keep it free

Being around the military for about 27 years including four active I to have a problem with people basically putting down the military, put freedom of speech is one thing the military help keep

Forum Member

To each his own. I am in no way putting down the military. I am sorry if that is how my responses have come off as. I have the upmost respect for the men and women serving in the military.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF14 View Post
    To each his own. I am in no way putting down the military. I am sorry if that is how my responses have come off as. I have the upmost respect for the men and women serving in the military.
    Calm down. These guys are taking themselves way to seriously. Join the military for what you want from it. They are going to use you like a freaking broken mule, so get out of the experience what you need as well. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for joining to get something from the government. These guys aren't the selfless pillars of society they want you to think they are. I'm sure they had no issue using the 5 preference points when they got their current job, or money for school, or taking the military discount when they were in. Get in, do your time, be a good airman, and use the crap out of the system. You will have earned it by the time you are out.

Forum Member

There are many pros to being an Air Guard Firefighter. Excluding Basic Training and the Fire Academy, for committing yourself to one weekend a month, and two weeks out of the year opens many opportunities in the long run. The fire Certs that you get from the fire academy are DoD which can help you get a job overseas as a contractor (which I did), be a State firefighter, or be a Federal firefighter (Although it is very competitive). There are many college perks that come with being in the guard as well. Also, having military experience looks really good on a resume. However, there are cons to the military, especially the guard. There are many politics involved and their are a lot of mind numbing training you have to do every month. If your looking for real fire experience, do not expect to get that from the Guard. At least for the Air Force, and there could be exceptions, but firefighters are only there for the planes. Therefore, if you lose the planes (which can happen), you lose the firefighters. Also, do not have a mentality that the Guard is lazy, and all they do is sit around and do nothing. One guy had that type of attitude and was thrown out of the our department. But, the Air National Guard and even Active Air Force is something to look into.

Thread Information