Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2013 FEMA SAFER Email

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2013 FEMA SAFER Email

So I will assume a few things. Things are moving along and this could potentially be good news for me. Thoughts?

Thank you for applying for a FY 2013 Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) Grant.
    As you are aware, grants awarded under the Hiring of Firefighters Category require grantees to maintain their staffing levels and incur no lay-offs during the period of performance of the grant. Therefore, it is imperative that your department have the support of your governing body.
    In order to ensure that there is a clear understanding of the long-term obligations of a SAFER grant and that, if awarded, all parties involved are committed to fulfilling those requirements upon acceptance of the award; we are requesting a letter from your governing body stating their commitment.
    The letter should be prepared on your governing body’s letterhead and addressed to:

Catherine Patterson

In order for us to be able to move your application to next phase, the letter must be received by me no later than Monday, October 7, 2013. If you need additional time to prepare the letter, please advise me as soon as possible.
    Please note that this is not a notification of award nor is it a guarantee that an award will be made to your department; this is simply a request for additional information.

MembersZone Subscriber

Uh that would be a big "roger that" on the implied pending award. Does you 1199a reflect a 2012 SAFER award # on it? BTW- that is not something to "dally" with . Get the letter done and get it signed ASAP and returned to them even if it means calling an emergency board meeting for discussion.Congrats!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

No nothing on the 1199a yet. I plan on getting the letter in as quickly as possible.

Forum Member

Did that go to the Mail Center or just contact email? Since lots of their emails tend to get flagged as Spam just want to make sure people keep their eyes open in the right spot.

MembersZone Subscriber

All of the contact emails on the grant. Nothing was in the mail center.

Forum Member

Roger that, thanks.

Forum Member

Last Sept (2012) we received a similar request. I posted a question on this forum and it seemed some other departments also received letters.

It seemed like the letters happened after a few awards were not accepted or had a delayed acceptance (like in madison Heights, Michigan???).

In Feb 2013 we received a turndown letter. Turned out we did not even make it to peer review.

I hope you are awarded (right after our department). I learned not to get excited until I see a 1199a.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemattf View Post
    Last Sept (2012) we received a similar request. I posted a question on this forum and it seemed some other departments also received letters.

In Feb 2013 we received a turndown letter. Turned out we did not even make it to peer review.
    Something is fishy about this...

All SAFER applications undergo panel (peer) review and have for several years. I don't know of many departments who receive clarification e-mails that don't get funded or score within the fundable range. It is possible that something was caught during the post panel process which caused a technical denial, but any clarification contacts should indicate that the application scored favorably.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011 SAFER denial verbiage
    Each SAFER application was subject to a two-phase review, with each phase carrying equal weight. The first phase was an automated assessment of how well the application matched the program's priorities as described in the FY 2011 SAFER Program Guidance and Application Kit. The second phase was a review by a panel of fire service peers. Using the information that you provided throughout your application, the panelists assigned scores to four elements of your application narrative: (1) clarity of the project description, (2) demonstration of financial need, (3) impact on daily operations, and (4) realization of cost benefit. Each of the two phases of the review carried equal weight, i.e., each phase was worth 50 percent of the application's overall score.
    Last edited by SLY4420; 09-24-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Forum Member

You are correct. My mistake... went from memory. The computer scoring was low on our SAFER 2012. We did receive the letter similar to wtfd2940 in Sept but found out we were not funded in FEB 2013.

Our Regional grant for extrication equipment did not make it to peer - not a high priority item in 2012. An additional regional grant for comms did make it to peer but was not funded. The comm grant was written by a professional grant writer and I thought was very good.....

Still wish wtfd2940 luck. Maybe the written commitment should be part of future apps.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemattf View Post
    Our Regional grant for extrication equipment did not make it to peer - not a high priority item in 2012.
    Not so much that it isn't a high priority, but it's not really eligible in accordance with the program guidance and the selections allowable under a Regional application.

The only category it could be classified under is "Specialized."

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 Program Guidance
    Regional projects are designed to facilitate interoperability and efficiency among the participating jurisdictions. As such, the only activities available for application under a regional project are training, equipment acquisition (such as communications equipment) that positively affect interoperability between jurisdictions and PPE, including SCBAs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any word on when SAFER might start to move? We received the letter regarding our commitment to the grant around 6 weeks ago....before the shutdown.

MembersZone Subscriber

Received the email below several months ago and replied with a letter within days. I have heard nothing since and I am losing my mind. No 1199a number yet. Believe me, I check 20 times a day. I still want to assume we are in good shape, but with awards starting to roll I am nervous. Any insight or has anyone else received similar letters with no subsequent movement?

Quote Originally Posted by wtfd2940 View Post
    So I will assume a few things. Things are moving along and this could potentially be good news for me. Thoughts?

Thank you for applying for a FY 2013 Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) Grant.
    As you are aware, grants awarded under the Hiring of Firefighters Category require grantees to maintain their staffing levels and incur no lay-offs during the period of performance of the grant. Therefore, it is imperative that your department have the support of your governing body.
    In order to ensure that there is a clear understanding of the long-term obligations of a SAFER grant and that, if awarded, all parties involved are committed to fulfilling those requirements upon acceptance of the award; we are requesting a letter from your governing body stating their commitment.
    The letter should be prepared on your governing body’s letterhead and addressed to:

Catherine Patterson

In order for us to be able to move your application to next phase, the letter must be received by me no later than Monday, October 7, 2013. If you need additional time to prepare the letter, please advise me as soon as possible.
    Please note that this is not a notification of award nor is it a guarantee that an award will be made to your department; this is simply a request for additional information.

Forum Member

Had a couple get that, had some R&R get clarification emails too. So stuff is happening but probably they're tied up on AFG issues.

Forum Member

Have you contacted your regional rep?

MembersZone Subscriber

I have not. Didn't know if I should really make too much noise at this point. Most of the time they can't or won't elaborate too much.

Quote Originally Posted by kylefiremedic View Post
    Have you contacted your regional rep?

Forum Member

Found 2 FH 1199As, posted today.

MembersZone Subscriber

Did you receive an email similar to what I received for any of the apps with 1199a's?

Forum Member

Found an updated 1199 2013FH today also, is it time to do a happy dance?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes you should, although your not making me feel any better.

Forum Member

1 got the email trying to clarify dates and wanted additional paperwork, the other one didn't get anything.

Forum Member

I have recieved anything in regards to emails clarifying or to update paperwork., just found the updated 1199
    jhl81791123 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have been told that the letter below was sent to all SAFER applicants who applied under rehiring or those facing layoffs. We initially thought the letter was good news, even though we understood it was not an award notification, but apparently it doesn't mean much. Still waiting with no 1199A update.

Quote Originally Posted by wtfd2940 View Post

Catherine Patterson

MembersZone Subscriber

Patience grasshopper! Still early in the award side of the game.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

New to SAFER- does R&R come out after new hires or should it all come out about the same time???

Forum Member

New to SAFER- does R&R come out after new hires or should it all come out about the same time???

Thread Information