Forum Member

Default background check

HI when I was 18 I had 2 tickets one was a speeding ticket and one was a marijuana ticket. I am 24 now and have had no other problems and have not smoked since I was 18. My question is when a fire department does a background check Will it just show that I had those tickets or will the background check show the court minutes?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snakers56 View Post
    HI when I was 18 I had 2 tickets one was a speeding ticket and one was a marijuana ticket. I am 24 now and have had no other problems and have not smoked since I was 18. My question is when a fire department does a background check Will it just show that I had those tickets or will the background check show the court minutes?

Should show tickets

But if you went to court and there was a court reporter who recorded the session, that is public record

Did you get a ticket and go before the judge? Was this a drawn out session or more do you plead guilty or not guilty? And judge rules

Now the thing out there is the officers report that you had an encounter with and that is public record

Usually the officers report is more informative than anything

What are you worried about????

Forum Member

I went to court and a judge and court reporter were present. The officers report and court minutes do not look good because the police put my friend into the drunk holding cell etc. so you think it will show the court minutes? is There a way that i could pay or do the same background check that a department would do?

Forum Member

all you have to do is wlak in to where ever and request any information they have via open records request.

Since you are asking about yourself, there should be no problem getting any info. Now they can charge for time to get stuff together.

did you just get a ticket given to you and kicked loose??

or did they take you to the pookey???

If you just got a ticlet and went before the judge and plead gulity, there should not be any written record.
    If you actually had some type of trail, if you were in a court of records, then more than likely there is some written record.

in reality, no matter what you have a ding on your record, versus someon who has no dings.

Just look at fd web sites and some willput thier disqualifiers on it, as in if drugs have been used do not apply, or if drugs have been than you can apply after so many years of no drug use.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    in reality, no matter what you have a ding on your record, versus someon who has no dings.
    I can't count how many times I've read this on here and on other sites and it just isn't true. There are plenty of people that have made mistakes and still get hired. And sometimes they get hired over other people that haven't made a single mistake. I really believe that, as long as your mistakes aren't too serious, with time and experience they will be forgiven. I hated hearing this when I was younger/newer to the fire service. I got real discouraged for a few years and even gave up on my dream of becoming a firefighter. Been on the job for a few years now. Definitely made a few little mistakes when I was younger. Doesn't have any impact on the job I do today.
    Be up front with your investigator. Show how you've changed. Make sure you present yourself as a responsible, respectful adult and you'll be alright.
    Good luck, my man.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by upallday View Post
    I can't count how many times I've read this on here and on other sites and it just isn't true. There are plenty of people that have made mistakes and still get hired. And sometimes they get hired over other people that haven't made a single mistake. I really believe that, as long as your mistakes aren't too serious, with time and experience they will be forgiven. I hated hearing this when I was younger/newer to the fire service. I got real discouraged for a few years and even gave up on my dream of becoming a firefighter. Been on the job for a few years now. Definitely made a few little mistakes when I was younger. Doesn't have any impact on the job I do today.
    Be up front with your investigator. Show how you've changed. Make sure you present yourself as a responsible, respectful adult and you'll be alright.
    Good luck, my man.

I kind of agree with you.

It is more of a case by case and chief by chief thing, if the ding matters

Just to many variables.

But the dings are there and have to be answered

Forum Member

It is more of a case by case and chief by chief thing, if the ding matters
    You hit the nail on the head with this line.
    Be upfront. Own your mistakes and let the chips fall how they may.

Forum Member

Don't stress it too much. Sure, departments place value on somebody who has never been in trouble with the law, but its not the main factor when making hiring decisions. Obviously, any major crimes or an extensive driving record are a different issue, but minor offenses are often overlooked.

If it comes down to a candidate with a squeaky clean record and somebody who has a couple of tickets, they are usually going to place far more value on the other attributes that each person brings to the table. They aren't likely to just say, "well this guy has no speeding tickets, let's give him the job." If the guy with a clean record doesn't interview well or lacks people skills, the guy with the speeding tickets is going to get the job.

Forum Member

If you're ever asked "Have you ever" answer honestly and all will be fine. If you choose to not answer correctly then your history. Nobody is perfect and we all makes mistakes....some more than others. With that said I feel you'll do fine on your background and like it has been said before....."there are others with no dings who will be ahead of you." Just explain it to your B.I. and all's well. Good Luck!!!
    Last edited by JayDudley; 09-25-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

A very good friend of mine got hired as a FF Medic with a major department with 40+ stations here in Northern California. He was completely honest about his past with the background investigator and everything went fine. He had smoked marijuana a few times 5+ years ago. If you keep the bad decisions in your past and keep applying some department will hire you.

Forum Member

all you have to do is wlak in to where ever and request any information they have via open records request.

Since you are asking about yourself, there should be no problem getting any info. Now they can charge for time to get stuff together.

did you just get a ticket given to you and kicked loose??

or did they take you to the pookey???

If you just got a ticlet and went before the judge and plead gulity, there should not be any written record.
    If you actually had some type of trail, if you were in a court of records, then more than likely there is some written record.

Just look at fd web sites and some willput thier disqualifiers on it, as in if drugs have been used do not apply, or if drugs have been than you can apply after so many years of no drug use.
    all you have to do is wlak in to where ever and request any information they have via open records request. do you mean to the court? And i was just ticketed But i went to court and saw the court minutes and they dont look 2 good.

Forum Member

For this particular situation

Go to the police dept that gave you a ticket and do a request

Go to the court that you saw the judge in and do a request

Yes under open records and because you are asking about yourself, you can get them

Normally they have ten days to get the records together and They can charge you for their time and maybe paper,
    Since it has gone to court it is public record also

Thread Information