Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default SCBA mini, concept idea, what do you guys think?

Hi all, I am new to this form and also relatively new to firefighting. I had an idea for a miniature SCBA that would essentially be used as an extraction tool. It would consist of a respirator style mask (like the kind used for wood working/ painting) but instead of air filters on the sides, it has miniature air bottles and a regulator on it. The idea behind it is that if you found a victim in a building, and extraction would take them through thick smoke, this would give them a couple of minutes of fresh air and give the FF some extra time to get them out of the building. This was just an idea that I had and I was wondering what you guys thought. This would also in theory, fit in the pocket of your jacket.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hunterschade View Post
    Hi all, I am new to this form and also relatively new to firefighting. I had an idea for a miniature SCBA that would essentially be used as an extraction tool. It would consist of a respirator style mask (like the kind used for wood working/ painting) but instead of air filters on the sides, it has miniature air bottles and a regulator on it. The idea behind it is that if you found a victim in a building, and extraction would take them through thick smoke, this would give them a couple of minutes of fresh air and give the FF some extra time to get them out of the building. This was just an idea that I had and I was wondering what you guys thought. This would also in theory, fit in the pocket of your jacket.

would you want every firefighter on shift to carry one??

http://www.safety2go.com/products/ba...cts/109/view/3

http://www.vententersearch.com/supplemental/ritmask.htm

http://www.firenuggets.com/x_ARDSIll...ccormack12.htm

Forum Member

That would be the Idea, this way, if you didn't have a rip pack on and you find someone, you can give them some air without having to buddy breath so this way they can still breath. Also, it would be good in case you found some one who was unconscious, you could just strap this to their face and they would be breathing clean air without having to be attached to you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hunterschade View Post
    That would be the Idea, this way, if you didn't have a rip pack on and you find someone, you can give them some air without having to buddy breath so this way they can still breath. Also, it would be good in case you found some one who was unconscious, you could just strap this to their face and they would be breathing clean air without having to be attached to you.
    In theory, it would be nice but in reality the stuff Ethan Hunt and James Bond have dont actually exsist.

An SCBA cylinder lasts 30-45 minutes (on paper) because it is pressured to a whopping 4500psi. We then have to reduce that to atmospheric pressure at the regulator so we can breath it. Usually around 14.7psi at sea level I think.

To do that, we have the PRA that every SCBA has in one form or another and the regular itself. So we are going from 4500, to 100, to <20psi. It takes 3 decent size devices to achieve that.

On top of that, we need a place to fit the actual air supply. Unless you pressurized these things to 30,000 psi (which would require an adamantium container) you wouldn't be able to supply the necessary volume to make the device worth while over a standard RIT/FAST bag with 30 minutes of working time and a full face piece. The average RIT bag isn't really that cumbersome and offers you multiple options for providing the victim air.

Forum Member

kind of same

1. is there a market
    2. have to devleop it
    3. have to have it tested and approved
    4. patent
    5. sell the thing

Not sure how many chiefs would buy each postion one?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    In theory, it would be nice but in reality the stuff Ethan Hunt and James Bond have dont actually exsist.

An SCBA cylinder lasts 30-45 minutes (on paper) because it is pressured to a whopping 4500psi. We then have to reduce that to atmospheric pressure at the regulator so we can breath it. Usually around 14.7psi at sea level I think.

To do that, we have the PRA that every SCBA has in one form or another and the regular itself. So we are going from 4500, to 100, to <20psi. It takes 3 decent size devices to achieve that.

On top of that, we need a place to fit the actual air supply. Unless you pressurized these things to 30,000 psi (which would require an adamantium container) you wouldn't be able to supply the necessary volume to make the device worth while over a standard RIT/FAST bag with 30 minutes of working time and a full face piece. The average RIT bag isn't really that cumbersome and offers you multiple options for providing the victim air.
    Oh well, it was fun to think about how it could be made. You do bring up good points that I hadn't thought of.

Thread Information