Super Moderator

Question Load Release Hitchs

What are you using as your load release hitch or device in your rope rescue systems? And what is the background on why that particular hitch/device was chosen by your team or department?

Forum Member

We use the CMC load release strap. It is pretty much what the Cal state fire training teaches. I know many non Ca states like the radium release hitch.

Forum Member

Don't really use one due to MPD and ID use. I've used the cmc and others in the past and they work just fine. You can use percell or separate MA to catch and hold. The percell is super fast and easy to milk down. It doesn't have to be fancy, just something that can hold the load and be adjusted a few feet.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use the radium when not using id's and MPDs. NYS fire academy chose it because of the testing done by Kirk a s Katie mauther. Even though that study has been around for quite awhile the transition took a very long time. My previous job used the radium release long before the state made the switch.

If you have the $ and plenty of them, Azteks or set of fours work great as load releasing hitches, although you may have other areas where you want to use them. A very valuable tool.

Super Moderator

The transition from one generation to the next has been interesting; we went from Mariners on both the main and belay to Mariners on main and BC hitch on Bely to Radium on both main and belay. Good news it that things are evolving; the bad thing is that so many folks use these skill so seldom that there ends up being a ton confusion amongst team and department members usually based on when they took their initial training

I also am a big fan of the new technologies that are available. The MPD and iDs help make an operation much more firefighter friendly. Obviously they have a cost associated to them and a learning curve however, everything we do in the Tech Rescue field requires additional training to become and remain proficient, it is just the reality of the world we live in.

We have begun to transition our primary set ups to running mirrored MPD systems and having our traditional systems available as our plan B tools. So far this has had a very positive response from our members.

Forum Member

We have begun to transition our primary set ups to running mirrored MPD systems and having our traditional systems available as our plan B tools. So far this has had a very positive response from our members.
    Our agency is at the mercy of the current economy, and at the moment it has a hitch on our budget. Having devices like the MPD would be nice, but were lucky to have the load release strap. We still have a few mariner's in our gear bag, and I can work both. Other than photo's, I have never seen the MPD. Some of you guys are lucky

MembersZone Subscriber

We have switched to the Hokie Hitch for our LRH (actually a slightly modified version)
    The reason we switched is because cordage (as opposed to webbing) has some stretch to it. In tests preformed by the University of Illinois Fire Service Institute they found the Hokie to be able to take a shock load better than the manufactured / webbing mariner's knot.
    IFSI is the State's fire training academy and throughout Illinois the modified Hokie (called a Larson) is the standard here.
    I'll see if I can track down a picture.

Forum Member

My biggest problem with the commerically available mariner's hitches (Load Release Strap) is their throw is a little short. There is nothing worse than releaseing a load and then realizing you don't have enough throw to finish the job. Radium release is a fantastic alternative, but as others mentioned it is rarely used with the advancement in mechanical belay devices.

The Hokie works well, but I think it's a little too cumbersome to release and over engineered.

Thread Information