Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6" Hose

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 6" Hose

Anyone using 6" supply line?

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Larry using 6" supply line down in Stafford, TX?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

I would think that 6" would be a bit cumbersome for daily operations, and would likely take up a significant amount of hosebed space.

I would think that if you operated a specialty supply piece, it would be an excellent choice.

I can imagine 6" would also be applicable in industrial or refinery applications as in most cases the framework is in place to support large flows.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

That extra flow wont help a bit if the stuff takes up so much hose bed you end up 200ft short.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    That extra flow wont help a bit if the stuff takes up so much hose bed you end up 200ft short.
    ^This

I think that once you get into the 6" realm you are dealing with specialized high-flow operations.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Most people probably don't think of it, but with 1500+ GPM pumps, you can always lay dual 5" lines. Unless it's some kind of industrial facility or a specialty hose wagon in NYC or Chicago, I don't think there's much use for it.

Forum Member

in case you go to larger hose:::

http://www.thehosemule.com/products12.php

That 12" hose made an appearance in Seaside NJ a few weeks ago....

Used to be a company down in Toms River NJ area that had a small truck that carried (I believe) 2000' of 6" hose. Might have been East Dover station. Don't know if they still have it or not.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    That 12" hose made an appearance in Seaside NJ a few weeks ago....

Used to be a company down in Toms River NJ area that had a small truck that carried (I believe) 2000' of 6" hose. Might have been East Dover station. Don't know if they still have it or not.
    Was that the line that they were laying across the island?

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Most people probably don't think of it, but with 1500+ GPM pumps, you can always lay dual 5" lines. Unless it's some kind of industrial facility or a specialty hose wagon in NYC or Chicago, I don't think there's much use for it.

The last I saw about the FDNY, was 5 inch hose carried on their hose wagons an satellite rides.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

I recall seeing the Vandenberg AFB (CA) FD laying out on a drill one day back in the early 70's. The hose appeared to be double-jacketed, and was bigger than what I was used to seeing, so I asked about it. It was 6", with threaded couplings. Didn't delve any deeper at the time.

Vandenberg has a real mish-mosh of exposures, running from large administrative complexes to many square miles of wildland (they lost a firefighter or two in a brush fire some years ago), but I'm not sure what their plan was for the 6", aside from being an early version of what most of us do everyday any more - lay in LDH.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

I know for a fact that there are several large chemical plants and refineries in south Louisiana that use 6", 8" and even 12" supply lines.

I believe there are also 12" supply systems operated by the refineries in place in the Houston area to cover the refineries and plants around the Shipping Channel area.

Of course, they also have massive fixed fire pumps and 2500gpm and 3000gpm engines, as well as some pretty hefty trailered pumps, to push it.

This was held at the LSU Fire Training facility in Baton Rouge a few years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zePpwGiNF0
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 10-01-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    I recall seeing the Vandenberg AFB (CA) FD laying out on a drill one day back in the early 70's. The hose appeared to be double-jacketed, and was bigger than what I was used to seeing, so I asked about it. It was 6", with threaded couplings. Didn't delve any deeper at the time.

Vandenberg has a real mish-mosh of exposures, running from large administrative complexes to many square miles of wildland (they lost a firefighter or two in a brush fire some years ago), but I'm not sure what their plan was for the 6", aside from being an early version of what most of us do everyday any more - lay in LDH.
    V-berg also has a number of space launch complexes, where they launch and test various rocket booster and missiles. I wouldn't be surprised if those were the target areas for using the 6" supply.

I never saw or heard of 6" line anywhere in the USAF in my time (20+ yrs) on AD and in the Reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Was that the line that they were laying across the island?
    Yes...and No. There was some laid....there was also a 5" line laid. 5" was running off a hydrant blocks and blocks away, with a couple engines in line. 6" was run from a draft from the Bay...but way too late in the day.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

We use 25' sections of 6" on our front intakes.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information