Forum Member

Default Tax question reguarding Firefighing

So I have been told that every expense you put towards your career you can get tax deductible for. Things like buying own gear, equipment needed to do the job like boots, hoods, flashlights, ECT. Well if that's true does that include gas costs for driving to and from work outside a certain distance. Right now I driver over 45 miles to my job is that tax deductible like if you were to travel to interview for jobs?

Forum Member

You have a multi part question
    Best advice is set down with a tax person now and ask him all your questions. This way you know what you can and cannot deduct, and what records you need to keep.

Problem 2 is to many variables, are you married or not, do you have enough deductions to even matter, do you file long or short form, etc, etc

short answers is normally if you can deduct equipment/ clothing that is not used fore every day civilian use can be deducted

travel to find a job is normally deductable

Normally cost of gas to work is not, but if you go to school after work it can be

so to many variables, and bad old tax laws change EVERY year, so get with a tax person

Forum Member

Thanks Fire49 for the response, I am not married and I usually file short forms. I will have to get with a tax professional. I just thought I would ask to see if people have ever tried or dealt with this on here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Armyfire245 View Post
    Thanks Fire49 for the response, I am not married and I usually file short forms. I will have to get with a tax professional. I just thought I would ask to see if people have ever tried or dealt with this on here.
    I do long form and even with a house I do not have enough to deduct. But that is me, check with tax man, even short form there are some deductions that can be taken.

Forum Member

I deduct everything. Food, travel, education, mileage, equipment, uniforms, hair cuts, dry cleaning, cell phone, internet, stationery...

If it comes out of your pocket, and the department requires you to have it, deduct it. Simple
    IAFF

Forum Member

Thread Information