Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ferrara MVP

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

And yet, even when I explained myself I have to defend my explanation against your seeming to tell me I came on too hard, am wrong in my thinking, and should have said in my first post why I was asking about the MVP. WHY? It seems so much gets bogged down around here because people can't just answer the question asked. Geezus the only thing that would have made this more stupidly funny is if the whole kool aid drinking Pierce crowd would have jumped on me for the blasphemy of not saying robotically "Pierce is the light and the way, let no graven images of fire trucks stand before thee..."

Deleted after I thought about it awile.

My #1 POC FD specced and purchased a rescue pumper in 2005 it has full height and full depth compartments on both sides and a HUGE rear compartment. It has no coffin compartments. It has 2 crosslay front preconnects as well as mid-ship crosslays, 2000 gpm pump, foam, 1000 gallons of water, 10Kw generator, 5 1500 watt lights, 6 man custom cab with ems compartment. We spent quite a bit of time researching what we wanted, looked at demos, went to trade shows, and designed what we wanted. My #2 POC FD has an apparatus committee, with lots of ideas, research has and is being done, we will see demos, and a few of us have been to trade shows. To limit yourself to one manufacturer limits your ability to see how much has changed and what is already out there.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 10-07-2013 at 12:26 AM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

There are more than a few apparatus builders that will build what you want/need... Determine what your wants and needs are and write a specification for the truck that suits your departments needs now and in the future. Once its there you're stuck with it, take your time and do it right, do not gear your apparatus towards a vendor, let them build your truck not sell you theirs.
    One of the posters above suggested contacting current users, do this on your own, not thru a dealer or salesman, do some legwork, the dealer or salesman will only put you in touch with the people they want you speaking to, that is pointless.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jfTL41 View Post
    There are more than a few apparatus builders that will build what you want/need... Determine what your wants and needs are and write a specification for the truck that suits your departments needs now and in the future. Once its there you're stuck with it, take your time and do it right, do not gear your apparatus towards a vendor, let them build your truck not sell you theirs.
    One of the posters above suggested contacting current users, do this on your own, not thru a dealer or salesman, do some legwork, the dealer or salesman will only put you in touch with the people they want you speaking to, that is pointless.
    I wanted info from current users and that is why I posted the original question. Believe me this is not my first time being involved in writing specs and designing a rig for 1 of the FDs I am on. I was on the apparatus committee at my career FD, same with at my #1 POC FD,and now with my #2 POC FD. Salesmen in my mind are there to look at your spec, tell you if they can do what you want, or if they can't and why. They can offer suggestions but in the end the committee makes the ultimate final decision on what to buy.

My #1 POC FD had demos in from several manufacturers. We wanted to see them for ideas we hadn't thought of and to see the quality of the build. It is amazing the junk being built by some companies.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 10-11-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Thanks to everyone for your comments. We have in no way made our mind up on what we want to buy. We are still in the exploration stage with opinions going far and wide. The engine we would be replacing is a Custom Fire Peterbilt with a command cab and inside pump panel. Some would like something similar to that, many committee members want a side mount pump panel, a custom cab, and a rescue engine style body. So there is still much work to be done.
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information