Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gino.galli
  • 1 Post By dante-norris123
  • 1 Post By dante-norris123

Thread: Cal fire 69 hour ( now 180 hours) basic wildland firefighter academy info

Forum Member

Default Cal fire 69 hour ( now 180 hours) basic wildland firefighter academy info

Hello Everyone,

I would just like to inform you that CAL FIRE- MEU ( Mendocino) will be hosting its annual CAL FIRE Basic wild land firefighter academy. The dates are November 8, 2013- January 26,2014. This will be held at the units training center ( Howard Forest) which is located in Willits, CA. It is Fridays ( 5:30 pm- 9:30 pm), Saturday & Sunday ( 8 am-5 pm). It is 9-10 weekends. Must be 18 years old by June 1, 2014. Application dates are Oct 15- Nov 1st. If you have any questions, feel free to message me or go on the website
    (www.mcoe.us/d/cte) and it has more information. You will Receive your : CAL FIRE Wild land Firefighter Certificate, NWCG S-190, s-130, L-180, and ICS-100, Emergency Care Provider CPR, D.O.T. First Responder EMS Certification and MCOE/CTE Certificate of Completion.

Please feel free to message me if you have any questions.
    FF14 likes this.

Forum Member

Any info on more academies? Thanks

South Bay Regional Academy here in San Jose offers the 180 hour academy. The only down side is, it is part of their firefighter academy. Which is good for those of us who are not firefighters yet, but if you're already a firefighter, don't know if you want to go through a fire academy again. They have an academy coming up - Jan 3 2014 - Jun 18 2014. The Fire Academy is a 480-hour program conducted on consecutive weekends, (9 hrs Saturday & Sunday), & 2 weeknights per month. They only offer this academy twice a year, so I believe the next academy will be sometime after the summer (need to double check). This is the only academy that I have found beside Cal Fire that offers this class. Here is the website: http://theacademy.ca.gov/fire
    Last edited by FF14; 11-01-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Forum Member

@tattedfire86

Depends where you live, most fire academies have this module in their resepective academies. The only difference is some academies aren't authorized CAL FIRE basic wildland certificates because a certified CAL FIRE instructor did not teach it. You must be careful on this, because if you go through an academy, and apply to CAL FIRE, they look at if it is a certified wildland training by a CAL FIRE instructor and if it is not they will throw your application out because of it. My friend went through that San Jose academy, and that same thing happened to him. SO before signing up for an academy, make sure to check who instructs the wildland module.

@Gino_Galli

How long ago did your friend go through the academy? Because I know that for this last academy they hosted, I had emailed about who was teaching the CAL FIRE cert, and they told me that it was being taught by CAL FIRE, and that they make you spend time training with CAL FIRE.

Forum Member

Graduated in December 2012. So not long ago. They have a couple CAL FIRE units out there, but I didn't understand why they didn't teach it. It was weird but a VERY common thing. My captain wwas going to hire 3 other people, all of them had a FF1 academy, but 0 of them had a CAL FIRE 69 hour wildland academy cert, in turn, they were disqualified. Just be very very sure CAL FIRE will be teaching it. It is getting more and more competetive, everyone is going through an academy, and almost everyone has an EMT. The more classes or training you can take, the better you are.

Good to know. Thanks

Forum Member

That is an issue not unique to the Calfire 67 hour cert.

California now requires wildland training for a FF1 cert. Unfortunately this requirement does not specify certification, so not all FF1 academies provide certs, just hours of training.

I have had similar issues on the Fed side with people thinking they have a basic wildland academy, but they do not have the certs we need (S130/190, I-100, L-180), just a generic wildland training cert.

You definitely want to know what specific certs you will get when you complete an academy. Wildland is still something of a mystery to many who teach in structure fire dominated schools.

Thanks for the info. Definitely will pay close attention to the details of an academy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF14 View Post
    South Bay Regional Academy here in San Jose offers the 180 hour academy. The only down side is, it is part of their firefighter academy. Which is good for those of us who are not firefighters yet, but if you're already a firefighter, don't know if you want to go through a fire academy again. They have an academy coming up - Jan 3 2014 - Jun 18 2014. The Fire Academy is a 480-hour program conducted on consecutive weekends, (9 hrs Saturday & Sunday), & 2 weeknights per month. They only offer this academy twice a year, so I believe the next academy will be sometime after the summer (need to double check). This is the only academy that I have found beside Cal Fire that offers this class. Here is the website: http://theacademy.ca.gov/fire
    Whats the total cost of this academy?

Forum Member

I believe it is $2000-$4000. Most academies in california are about that price. I know the California Regional Academy based out of Sacramento is $4000. But you receive about 23 certs out of it and is hosted by Sacramento Metro, Sacramento City, West Sacramento,CAL FIRE, etc.

If the schedule is what you like, I would look into academies that offer the extended format which is usually 6-10 pm mon-fri and most sats and sundays. Sierra College Academy in Roseville,Ca does that so does the regional academy.

Fees: $1990 http://theacademy.ca.gov/flyer_details/node/3795
    By the time you buy your uniforms it will most likely land in the price range that Gino Galli said.
    If my semester didn't land during the academy, I would be doing this academy. My goal is to take the next academy that comes up.

Forum Member

Hey, does anyone know anywhere in California that I might be able to take the Cal Fire Basic course (69 hr)? I realize fire season is almost here, but any information would be awesome. Thank guys!
    FF14 likes this.

If you read my post from 10-31-2013, I posted about an academy that offers the Cal Fire course. I believe that they have an academy happening in July. I have to double check, because I want to do the academy myself. But if anyone else knows of anywhere else offering this course, I would like to know as well.

Forum Member

copy that, i appreciate it
    FF14 likes this.

You're welcome. I hope it works out for you.

Forum Member

thanks buddy, you too

Thread Information