Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Charleston, SC - 2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by max2455 View Post
    CFD11, do you by chance know the allowed time for the physical agility test? All the events are listed, but they do not specify a time they must be completed in.
    Im no fattie. But I am also not the most in shape FF out there. I did the CFD physical in 7:51. And that was moving at my leisure. The people who had the most trouble were the ones who have zero fire experience (i.e. carrying a ladder, raising a ladder, pulling hose). I was nervous as hell before i started. And by the time I was done I had the best time of the day and said to myself "damn i could go again". Good Luck

Forum Member

New social media policy in place
    Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place

Forum Member

Anyone submit their application via email? If so, have you heard anything back?
    “The garbage man doesn’t get excited when he turns the corner and sees trash. You shouldn’t get excited either; you should be expecting fire on every run.” - FDNY Lt. Andrew Fredericks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ncoliva1200 View Post
    At one point they sent me a reply email, but it was just the instructions on how to apply. After that I called and confirmed that they had my application. As long ad you did it right (filled it out, then printed it and scanned it) I think you're fine.

Forum Member

I submitted mine via email. I received an automated confirmation email that my application had made it to HR, but I haven't heard anything else yet. I'm assuming that, since it's the weekend, we won't hear back until later in the work week.

Forum Member

Charleston has always been a great city. Do you know anyone from Midway Fire Rescue? I just started and one of guys said a few left here for CFD.

Forum Member

The Charleston HR website says we'll hear back by friday October 25
    ncoliva1200 likes this.

Forum Member

Emails on the test time are out.
    ncoliva1200 likes this.

Forum Member

Got mine as well. Good luck all!
    “The garbage man doesn’t get excited when he turns the corner and sees trash. You shouldn’t get excited either; you should be expecting fire on every run.” - FDNY Lt. Andrew Fredericks

Forum Member

Same here. Saturday November 16th at 8AM. Time to study up.

Forum Member

I'll be there at 8am the 16th as well, coming down from MN. Has anyone heard from HR how many total they expect to test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fles0050 View Post
    I'll be there at 8am the 16th as well, coming down from MN. Has anyone heard from HR how many total they expect to test?
    I haven't heard. I know that the last round of testing (for the class that is currently in the academy) had around 250, though. I would expect something in that ballpark for this round. I'm not sure what size class they are hiring though. If thy are adding new rigs and stations than I'd assume fairly large.

Forum Member

To the current and/or former CFD firefighters here: How does the EMT transition work in Charleston? I'm nationally certified, but the EMS protocols in my state are some of the most restrictive in the nation. While I know I don't have to do the EMT portion of the academy, is there some sort of class or training on the state-specific protocols of South Carolina?

Forum Member

Good luck everyone. I had to withdraw because of a schedule conflict with the interview dates, which would make it pointless for me to even take the written. :/

Forum Member

Good luck everyone. I had to withdraw because of a schedule conflict with the interview dates, which would make it pointless for me to even take the written. :/
    Sorry to hear that. Better luck next year! Hopefully things work out better then.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cbonoyer View Post
    To the current and/or former CFD firefighters here: How does the EMT transition work in Charleston? I'm nationally certified, but the EMS protocols in my state are some of the most restrictive in the nation. While I know I don't have to do the EMT portion of the academy, is there some sort of class or training on the state-specific protocols of South Carolina?
    If you're nationally certified you get a SC license, simple as switching who you're affiliated with

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PickHead54 View Post
    If you're nationally certified you get a SC license, simple as switching who you're affiliated with
    But I'm assuming that SC had different state protocols than VT does, right? For example, a friend of mine is certified in New Hampshire and can do far more advanced things with a basic license than I can. Is there any opportunity to bridge the gap?

Forum Member

But I'm assuming that SC had different state protocols than VT does, right? For example, a friend of mine is certified in New Hampshire and can do far more advanced things with a basic license than I can. Is there any opportunity to bridge the gap?
    Do you mean as in our scope of practice? If so, in SC an EMT-B can drop King LT's and LMA's while other states that I know of cannot. Im not sure if this answers your question. Feel free to PM me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PickHead54 View Post
    Do you mean as in our scope of practice? If so, in SC an EMT-B can drop King LT's and LMA's while other states that I know of cannot. Im not sure if this answers your question. Feel free to PM me.
    Thanks. Will do

Forum Member

You will go through a quick protocols class before your graduation. Charleston is new to the EMS role so don't get too bent out of shape about it. If you're nationally certified you get your SC card and the department takes care of putting you through the necessary classes.
    cbonoyer likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by smprfi0231 View Post
    You will go through a quick protocols class before your graduation. Charleston is new to the EMS role so don't get too bent out of shape about it. If you're nationally certified you get your SC card and the department takes care of putting you through the necessary classes.
    sounds like a plan. Thanks!

Forum Member

How'd the written go for everybody? anybody hear back on interviews yet?

Forum Member

How'd the written go for everybody? anybody hear back on interviews yet?
    Just got an email with my interview/PAT times. Good luck to all!

Forum Member

Got mine as well... Does anyone know if and/or when we could find out our exact score on the written? Just curious to see how I did.

Forum Member

Last year they emailed the written test results in the first notification.

Thread Information