Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Charleston, SC - 2013

Forum Member

CFD11 - what specifically makes their recruit school so difficult? Is there an area that seems to trouble most new recruits the most?

Thank you.

Forum Member

New social media policy in place
    Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place

Forum Member

Looks like the closing date for applications has moved to October 18. I'm assuming that is, at least in part, due to the original date falling on Columbus day

Forum Member

I am a recruit in the current class. I can only speak for myself and not those from past classes who may have had different experiences, but I have never been yelled at by an instructor. We run once a week, and built up from under 2 miles to just under 5 miles in ten weeks. The runs are what you make of them. It's just cardiovascular conditioning.

I won't say much because I'm writing from my phone and should get to bed, but I believe that the academy succeeds in putting out recruits that are willing to challenge themselves, won't easily become complacent, and take pride in their work.

The biggest challenges will be physical and mental at the same time, and the best thing to do is get yourself in great shape and enter the process with the right attitude. Crossfit style workouts focusing on endurance and cardio would serve you well (burpees, bodyweight exercises etc). Don't bother much with strength. We haven't done significant weight training.

The maximum time for the PAT was 12:01. This is way more than enough time. If you're in pretty good shape, you'll probably get somewhere around 8 minutes.

I'd be happy to answer more questions if you have them. If you are on the fence about applying, have an attitude that serves the fire service well, and are not in the worst shape of your life, I absolutely encourage you to apply. You will grow immensely from the training, get to be a firefighter, oh and this process is the least competitive I've come
    Across, so you've got excellent odds.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by terrible one View Post
    CFD11 - what specifically makes their recruit school so difficult? Is there an area that seems to trouble most new recruits the most?

Thank you.
    Not to jump in but I'll give you a few things that caused several people to leave the last class.
    1. Exams and grades-This is the sure fire guaranteed way that they will get rid of you in the academy, if you dont get a passing grade on every test (70) you're out. A lot of people have trouble with the EMT portion of the class, for those that dont already have it. It's a lot of information to be thrown at you in a short period of time.

2. Discipline/write-ups/ bad attitude, etc etc.-All of these negative characteristcs will put a target on your back, if you have a bad attitude in the academy who says that it won't follow you out onto the line.

3. Physical ability- Although the academy is tough the instructors are willing to work with you to a certain extent, as long as you show the effort. My class had two-a-days for PT for those who were falling behind (although it may have been another tactic to get rid of those falling behind ) You've got to run nine miles at the end of the academy, its more of a milestone run than anything else although, like previously mentioned, that instructor might be gone by then.

The best advice to getting through the academy is as follows: Keep your mouth shut, your head down, stay healthy, work TOGETHER as a class, and study study study.

Until then, get passed the hiring process, although it may be a simple process you will still be competing with hundreds of other people for your position.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by max2455 View Post
    CFD11, do you by chance know the allowed time for the physical agility test? All the events are listed, but they do not specify a time they must be completed in.
    Im no fattie. But I am also not the most in shape FF out there. I did the CFD physical in 7:51. And that was moving at my leisure. The people who had the most trouble were the ones who have zero fire experience (i.e. carrying a ladder, raising a ladder, pulling hose). I was nervous as hell before i started. And by the time I was done I had the best time of the day and said to myself "damn i could go again". Good Luck

Forum Member

New social media policy in place
    Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place

Anyone submit their application via email? If so, have you heard anything back?
    “The garbage man doesn’t get excited when he turns the corner and sees trash. You shouldn’t get excited either; you should be expecting fire on every run.” - FDNY Lt. Andrew Fredericks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ncoliva1200 View Post
    At one point they sent me a reply email, but it was just the instructions on how to apply. After that I called and confirmed that they had my application. As long ad you did it right (filled it out, then printed it and scanned it) I think you're fine.

Forum Member

I submitted mine via email. I received an automated confirmation email that my application had made it to HR, but I haven't heard anything else yet. I'm assuming that, since it's the weekend, we won't hear back until later in the work week.

Forum Member

Charleston has always been a great city. Do you know anyone from Midway Fire Rescue? I just started and one of guys said a few left here for CFD.

Forum Member

The Charleston HR website says we'll hear back by friday October 25
    ncoliva1200 likes this.

Forum Member

Emails on the test time are out.
    ncoliva1200 likes this.

Got mine as well. Good luck all!
    “The garbage man doesn’t get excited when he turns the corner and sees trash. You shouldn’t get excited either; you should be expecting fire on every run.” - FDNY Lt. Andrew Fredericks

Forum Member

Same here. Saturday November 16th at 8AM. Time to study up.

Forum Member

I'll be there at 8am the 16th as well, coming down from MN. Has anyone heard from HR how many total they expect to test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fles0050 View Post
    I'll be there at 8am the 16th as well, coming down from MN. Has anyone heard from HR how many total they expect to test?
    I haven't heard. I know that the last round of testing (for the class that is currently in the academy) had around 250, though. I would expect something in that ballpark for this round. I'm not sure what size class they are hiring though. If thy are adding new rigs and stations than I'd assume fairly large.

Forum Member

To the current and/or former CFD firefighters here: How does the EMT transition work in Charleston? I'm nationally certified, but the EMS protocols in my state are some of the most restrictive in the nation. While I know I don't have to do the EMT portion of the academy, is there some sort of class or training on the state-specific protocols of South Carolina?

Good luck everyone. I had to withdraw because of a schedule conflict with the interview dates, which would make it pointless for me to even take the written. :/

Forum Member

Good luck everyone. I had to withdraw because of a schedule conflict with the interview dates, which would make it pointless for me to even take the written. :/
    Sorry to hear that. Better luck next year! Hopefully things work out better then.

Thread Information