Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Charleston, SC - 2013

Thumbs up Charleston, SC - 2013

JUST learned that Charleston, SC is hiring!

Open
    September 30, 2013

Closing
    October 14, 2013 5:00 PM

http://www.charleston-sc.gov/Jobs.as...ter-Trainee-14
    Last edited by ncoliva1200; 10-07-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    “The garbage man doesn’t get excited when he turns the corner and sees trash. You shouldn’t get excited either; you should be expecting fire on every run.” - FDNY Lt. Andrew Fredericks

Forum Member

Applied the first day! If I'm not mistaken this is the second or third hiring process they've had this year. I've looked at previous threads for Charleston and it looks like there's a few of their firefighters on here that give some good info on the process. Anyone else apply?

I've noticed. I'm still debating it. The pay really worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by max2455 View Post
    Applied the first day! If I'm not mistaken this is the second or third hiring process they've had this year. I've looked at previous threads for Charleston and it looks like there's a few of their firefighters on here that give some good info on the process. Anyone else apply?
    “The garbage man doesn’t get excited when he turns the corner and sees trash. You shouldn’t get excited either; you should be expecting fire on every run.” - FDNY Lt. Andrew Fredericks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ncoliva1200 View Post
    I've noticed. I'm still debating it. The pay really worries me.
    Yeah that seems to be the response from most people, but I can make it work.

Forum Member

New social media policy in place
    Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place
    ncoliva1200 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFD11 View Post
    Guys in recruit school are only seeing 600 a two week pay period. May want to look at Raliegh, North Charleston, and other places. Depends on how much you want it I guess we have had a bunch of guys come through with the low pay with wives and family's. If the wife can pick up the slack its no big deal to deal with it for a couple months. On a side note they changed the EMT-B to the end of probie school so if you already have it you go through all the fire stuff then come straight to the floor instead of sitting through EMT for 8 weeks. We are having a lot of people leave so if you want to be on an apparatus and can deal with a little stupid stuff then come on. I can tell you from testing this is the easiest process you will see for a department our size. Plus we have two new engines, a tower, and a tower coming online so we need people. And we just got about the prettiest tiller I have seen in the 8 yrs of my fire service career!
    First off thanks for the information. You say a lot of guys are leaving, is this because of retirement or are they just moving on? Any idea how many they're looking to hire? By the way that tiller looks incredible.
    ncoliva1200 likes this.

Forum Member

Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place

Forum Member

Some retirements, some moving on to bigger metro depts and some going on disability. I would assume and we haven't heard rumors but at least 20 to 30. We need to have the personnel to staff four more apparatus so that in itself is 24 right there just in firefighters let alone the promotions necessary to put the rigs in service so its going to be busy for the CFD the next few months.
    Sounds like it. HR just sent an email saying this class is expected to start March of 2014. I'm hoping just as much as anyone that I'll make the cut.

Forum Member

Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place

Forum Member

good luck I hope you get what you want. It is a rough recruit school, I wouldn't take the job, I have already been through USMC boot camp I wouldn't do it again for Charleston. But we are busy and the pay is enough to live on with a part time job.
    Anywhere you go the recruit school is going to be rough. But in the end you're getting on the fire truck and getting paid to do it.

Do some research on the area and the department to see if you really want to live/work there. When I went through the process last year I was full aware of the pay scale. Doing a little research I would have only be able to afford rent on the outskirts of the city. Anything decent close to town was $1200 on up, which is over half the pay check. If you are young and without a wife and kids I think it is a great opportunity.

Forum Member

Forum Member

CFD11, do you by chance know the allowed time for the physical agility test? All the events are listed, but they do not specify a time they must be completed in.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by max2455 View Post
    CFD11, do you by chance know the allowed time for the physical agility test? All the events are listed, but they do not specify a time they must be completed in.
    The current class in school now used an average time that was calculated from using random guys on the line. The time for that physical ended up being around 11 minutes I believe. It would make sense to me that they would use this same time limit again. Not to get ahead of the process (focus on the written first) but many people had some trouble with certain aspects of the physical test. The ladder station in particular proved pretty difficult, epescially for shorter people. So I'd suggest on starting your training now if you plan on testing.

Forum Member

No clue on the time limit for the physical it is pretty straight forward though. Just heard two classes of 30 to hired in January and then a second following that class.
    Wow thanks for sharing that. Are these 4 new trucks you discussed earlier coming with any station additions?

Quote Originally Posted by PickHead54 View Post
    The current class in school now used an average time that was calculated from using random guys on the line. The time for that physical ended up being around 11 minutes I believe. It would make sense to me that they would use this same time limit again. Not to get ahead of the process (focus on the written first) but many people had some trouble with certain aspects of the physical test. The ladder station in particular proved pretty difficult, epescially for shorter people. So I'd suggest on starting your training now if you plan on testing.
    Thanks! Its nice to have a few guys on the forum that are helpful with this. I can't tell you both how much I appreciate all the information.

Forum Member

a couple of years ago i took the charleston, sc process and came pretty close to getting it but didnt end up hitting the lotto. i really took my time down there, and theres a few observations i made:

It is the most beautiful city you could ever imagine, 9.9/10 people you meet are incredibly nice, the women were great, the food is excellent, did i mention i love the city?, the outlying areas are nice, the 10 min drive to folly beach is like going to an island in a whole nother country, i already want to retire there, you get the message. i couldnt say enough good things about charleston.

as per the department,its not detroit busy, there are definitely politics (with expansion and past events..rip9), but it seems to be a progressive attitude with guys that want to get in and get it done and thats a great thing. ive heard many times the academy is difficult. if i still had the oppurtunity i'd be signing up again in a heartbeat. the pay isnt great but who cares. no fireman is rich anyways. i wanted detroit busy, or ny busy, but it is so great in charleston id be happy to be there going to 1 fire a month.

to all guys who are single/ can convince their wives to move, this is worth it. there are not many, if any, places as good as charleston imo. if you are willing to work your balls off, this is a give away. i am jealous of you all.

Forum Member

Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place

Forum Member

Cfd11,
    Could you send me your email. I have a few things I want to ask you. Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baltofire9602 View Post
    Cfd11,
    Could you send me your email. I have a few things I want to ask you. Thanks
    Turn on your PM's or just pm me your phone number

Thread Information